Menu

Know of any Homeschool Friendly Resources for Studying Forensic Science?

My son has announced this is the direction he would like our science program to go in. I don't really know anything about forensic science, I've never even seen one episode of CSI or Law and Order or anything like that. I tried to google a bit, but really didn't find anything.

I was hoping someone here has btdt.

*SIGH*

Help!

Thanks in advance.

Winter Promise has a forensic science program with some fairly advanced books involved that would allow for deeper study.

Ava

Ava, my 16 yo dd will be doing forensic science this year. I've purchased 3 books (they're on their way to me), but would love to find an actual program. I searched the Winter Promise website and found 2 books on forensics, but couldn't find any actual "program" or which program these 2 books go with. Would you please tell me where the info is on their site?

TIA

Ava, my 16 yo dd will be doing forensic science this year. I've purchased 3 books (they're on their way to me), but would love to find an actual program. I searched the Winter Promise website and found 2 books on forensics, but couldn't find any actual "program" or which program these 2 books go with. Would you please tell me where the info is on their site?

TIA

I'm not Dani n Monies Mom, however, this is a quote from the site:

"Human Body & Forensic Science

An Integrated Science Program for Jr/Sr - $99 - WS2-SCJS

This study is scheduled in your main guide for Middle Ages, and can be added on for $99,

or can be purchased separately with a stand-alone schedule only.

Encyclopedia of the Human Body | WS2-S01 | $30

A wonderfully illustrated book that will take students inside all the body’s systems. Drawings will increase student understanding of the functions of the body.

Body by Design | WS2-S11 | $14

A great look at the design written into the “fabric†of our bodies by our Creator. Covers all of the body’s systems from a creation science perspective.

The Forensic Casebook | WS2-S08 | $18

Learn crime scene techniques and the investigation involved in finding the truth and solving crimes. Get acquainted with procedures for procuring evidence.

Crime Scene Investigations | WS2-S09 | $30

Student will attempt to solve cases using forensic techniques and testing. Fingerprinting, tire tracks, chemical tests and more will challenge a student to use deductive reasoning to solve these cases.

Gray’s Anatomy | WS2-S10 | $10

Extremely detailed art quality coloring book teaches anatomy.

NOTE: This is an in-depth science program, but our science experiments are kept low-key. For this reason, *we also recommend an additional accredited science program such as Apologia for Sr. High students."

I found this at the very end of this page: http://www.winterpromise.com/middle_ages.html

Regards,

Kareni

I'm not Dani n Monies Mom, however, this is a quote from the site:

"Human Body & Forensic Science

An Integrated Science Program for Jr/Sr - $99 - WS2-SCJS

This study is scheduled in your main guide for Middle Ages, and can be added on for $99,

or can be purchased separately with a stand-alone schedule only.

Encyclopedia of the Human Body | WS2-S01 | $30

A wonderfully illustrated book that will take students inside all the body’s systems. Drawings will increase student understanding of the functions of the body.

Body by Design | WS2-S11 | $14

A great look at the design written into the “fabric†of our bodies by our Creator. Covers all of the body’s systems from a creation science perspective.

The Forensic Casebook | WS2-S08 | $18

Learn crime scene techniques and the investigation involved in finding the truth and solving crimes. Get acquainted with procedures for procuring evidence.

Crime Scene Investigations | WS2-S09 | $30

Student will attempt to solve cases using forensic techniques and testing. Fingerprinting, tire tracks, chemical tests and more will challenge a student to use deductive reasoning to solve these cases.

Gray’s Anatomy | WS2-S10 | $10

Extremely detailed art quality coloring book teaches anatomy.

NOTE: This is an in-depth science program, but our science experiments are kept low-key. For this reason, *we also recommend an additional accredited science program such as Apologia for Sr. High students."

I found this at the very end of this page: http://www.winterpromise.com/middle_ages.html

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks you SO MUCH for that! That looks like something I could work with. I'm doing a little happy dance! :D

Karen and Ava, thanks for your help!

I have another question if anyone can help. I don't know why their website is so confusing to me, but I can't find the "stand-alone schedule" (or can be purchased separately with a stand-alone schedule only) or the price for it.

TIA

From looking at it in the catalog, I get the impression that it comes with it's own separate schedule, which in turn comes with the Forensics package. I bet if you call them they can give you a price for the schedule only. They are very friendly and easy to talk to.

The forensics package can be purchased separately from the history pack with it's own stand-alone schedule as well. That's the $99 price.

Ava

From looking at it in the catalog, I get the impression that it comes with it's own separate schedule, which in turn comes with the Forensics package. I bet if you call them they can give you a price for the schedule only. They are very friendly and easy to talk to.

The forensics package can be purchased separately from the history pack with it's own stand-alone schedule as well. That's the $99 price.

Ava

Thanks, again! I'll give them a call. I just want the schedule, I've already ordered the books we need.

My dd is currently taking a 3 week course in Forensic Science, and they use the book called The Forensic Casebook: The Science of Crime Scene by Ngaire Genge. Might be worth checking out!

http://www.amazon.com/Forensic-Casebook-Science-Crime-Investigation/dp/0345452038/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218118208&sr=8-1

This is one of the books used in the Winter Promise package, it's really good for older kids.

WP also has a forensic package for 4th-6th grade, in case anyone is interested. Here's the link http://www.winterpromise.net/product_info.php?products_id=757

Ava

Another hsing mom recommended a text book - Forensic Science for High School by Barbara Deslich and John Funkhouser. I was able to order the teacher's edition from Amazon. It arrived today and looks great. It came with a CD that includes Power Point presentations, etc. She also recommended (and I ordered) The Forensic Science of CSI by Katherine Ramsland and The Forensic Casebook by NE Genge. I'm hoping to spend some of this weekend putting a plan together for a one semester course for dd using these 3 books.

I did call Winter Promise (many times) about their program but never got through to an actual person. I didn't leave my number for them to call me - I hate doing that. So, I'm just going to put something together on my own.

I did call Winter Promise (many times) about their program but never got through to an actual person. I didn't leave my number for them to call me - I hate doing that. So, I'm just going to put something together on my own.

I did get in touch with someone there. That package that someone posted the link to earlier for $99 did include the schedule and the 5 books listed, but you can get the schedule by itself for $20 plus $5 shipping, but they said they' ship it priority mail. I sort of went over the numbers and you do save a smidgen of money by just ordering the schedule from them and getting the books from Amazon, because they have shipping of $10 on top of the $99. The books add up to about $75 from Amazon (with free shipping) plus the $25 total for the schedule . . . so I'm sure you can do the math on your own. :D Also my local library has 4 of the 5 books, so perhaps you could save even more that way.

Anywho, I haven't received the schedule yet. I may get it and totally want to toss it, but to me it's worth the $25 just to look over it. It may be something I can tweak to fit my needs. You know how it is.:tongue_smilie:

Anywho, I haven't received the schedule yet. I may get it and totally want to toss it, but to me it's worth the $25 just to look over it. It may be something I can tweak to fit my needs. You know how it is.:tongue_smilie:

I'd love it if you would share whether or not you feel the schedule is worth purchasing. Please let us know what you think when you receive it.

TIA

I'd love it if you would share whether or not you feel the schedule is worth purchasing. Please let us know what you think when you receive it.

TIA

I hope to get it sometime this week IF they ship promptly. I've heard some hit and miss stories regarding their customer service, but it's a WP exclusive and the way they made it sound, they'd ship it right away.

I'll post a little review when I receive it.

http://bsapp.com/forensics_illustrated/index.html

i came across this site in my research for forensics. my DD hates apologia biology, and she also wants to go into the CSI field.

i am going to read more on the site i linked - but from what i can see, it looks to be a pretty good course, that could be supplemented somehow?

just thought i would share what i saw :)

Thanks for this thread! My dd finds this subject fascinating (literally lives with Sherlock Holmes by her bed) but I hadn't even considered the idea of a Forensic Science course in high school.

I love this forum! Thanks gals.

i came across this site in my research for forensics. my DD hates apologia biology, and she also wants to go into the CSI field.

i am going to read more on the site i linked - but from what i can see, it looks to be a pretty good course, that could be supplemented somehow?

Wow! That website looks like a complete course, if you go to the site map, the entire textbook is available as a PDF, and FREE. Yummy! :D

I thought I had other things to do today, now I guess I'm going to be clicking that website to death to see if it has everything I need.

Wow! That website looks like a complete course, if you go to the site map, the entire textbook is available as a PDF, and FREE. Yummy! :D

I thought I had other things to do today, now I guess I'm going to be clicking that website to death to see if it has everything I need.

Me too!

• 8 months later...

wow...I was hunting through old threads and found this......this looks fun. I have to see if I can get the answer keys and this would be a wonderful program. I think my son would love this!!

wow...I was hunting through old threads and found this......this looks fun. I have to see if I can get the answer keys and this would be a wonderful program. I think my son would love this!!

I didn't notice before that you needed a password to access the answer keys. I guess you could contact the author via email to see if he would give it to you? I wonder? Since it's supposedly free to all. There are so many resources on there, it amazing.

I'm going to try to use it next year if I can get my head around it. I get overwhelmed very easily and anything that doesn't have a specific lesson plan . . . (like on day one do this . . . on day two do that) . . . I get nervous about.

I wonder if anyone else has had any luck?

I emailed the owner of the forensic class that is free online...and he sent me the passwords within a few minutes. I cant believe how fast he sent them! I think we may use it next year for a change of pace. i really dont want to do physical science yet.

I emailed the owner of the forensic class that is free online...and he sent me the passwords within a few minutes. I cant believe how fast he sent them! I think we may use it next year for a change of pace. i really dont want to do physical science yet.

That's great to know. I guess I need to send my own email as well.

Thanks for that information. During the summer months, I'll probably be trying to come up with some lesson plans etc . . . so I can figure out exactly how I'll implement it. Maybe we can collaborate. I don't know about you, but I can use all the help I can get, LOL.