Menu

A Sunday Chat

Hello Everyone.

Tonight we are having a Coffee House Supper. What is your favorite panini or what do you think might be your favorite? I had a "Turkey Gobbler" last night - it was turkey (naturally), cream cheese and cranberry sauce. Really yummy.

My ds is depressed because I asked him to go computer free for the rest of the day. He had two non-stop days of computer when he was sick and it was affecting him negatively. Do you ever take media breaks? (I'm going to take one in a minute to go and clean the kitchen.)

Today's totally random question: How far is your house from a walking or hiking trail? I'm only one block away!

I don't know what panini is and I only take media breaks when I run out of electricity.

I live on 88 acres of bush, so I guess you could say a walking trail begins at my front door. :) There are tracks wide enough for cars and plenty of roo trails we can follow just to see where they go.

I may be the only panini-hater in America. How about if I just bring along a bucket of saurkraut? A friend from church just stopped by and left 5 gallon-size jars of homemade 'kraut. One jar has sliced jalapenos in it.

Trails start about a block from the house. We take media breaks periodically in the summer, but mostly because there are so many things to do in such a short amount of time.

I don't eat bread anymore, but I remember I used to love Shrimp Po Boys. :D As for kraut, I don't eat aged food anymore: I'm restricting tyramine in my latest attempt to conquer my chronic migraines.

We have a hiking trail right behind our house. It has a lovely mile-long trail with hills and a stream and leads to a large wildlife corridor with more trails that eventually leads to the mountains.

We like the mozzarella and tomato panini from Starbucks. We tried re-creating it at home, but it's just not the same ;) The turkey with cranberry sauce sounds good, too! What I like more is calling it a "Coffee House Supper" because who doesn't like anything better with a catchy name? B)

We do take media breaks. I try to moderate time, as opposed to feasting-and-fasting, especially with my boys. I've found television to be less an issue than the computer. I'm still unsure if it's their gender, their age, their personalities, something else or a combination of all ... but I've had to limit computer time to the hours between lunch and dinner, for the most part. I can't let them do it too early in the day or it sets the wrong tone for the day. I can't let them do it too late beyond 5pm, because it riles them up. Not necessarily noticeably, but their attitudes are worse and sleep becomes harder to come by if they've been on computers or watching tv once the sun goes down. The few times I've been lax, things have gotten ugly. And by things I mean their attitudes, followed quickly by mine. So our media time generally runs 11am-5pm, and our breaks are the remaining hours. The boys ARE NOT fans, but it's a non-negotiable and eventually (months) they came to accept it.

We're about 20 paces from the nearest trail :) The kids walk it for PE most mornings. I keep meaning to join them, but I consider it my "free period" and that's been too hard to give up, even on a gorgeous day!

I think I'd order a 3-cheese chicken pesto panini with a greek side salad. I'm on a greek salad kick.

When we go to the cabin we take media breaks - well, we do have a radio there that gets public radio and has a CD player. We read lots of books there too, but I assume you mean electronic media. :) I have been trying to pry myself away from the computer more lately because I do waste too much time here.

Hiking trail - there is one that goes up the mountain about a 7-10 minute walk away from us.