Menu

Will you share your MCT Mudd trilogy schedule with me?

Iskra

We are planning on using MCT Island with Satori Smiles' schedule next year. However, her schedule does not include the Mudd trilogy. Can someone who has read these books suggest a plan on how to fit them with the Satori Smile's schedule?

We are planning on using MCT Island with Satori Smiles' schedule next year. However, her schedule does not include the Mudd trilogy. Can someone who has read these books suggest a plan on how to fit them with the Satori Smile's schedule?

Sorry...no help from me. I'd like to know too as we will be starting Grammar Island in September. I'm also going to get the Mud trilogy books. I read somewhere that you can start them after Sentence Island, but as to any actual schedule...I have no idea.

Could you please link the Satori Smiles Grammar Island schedule? Do you know how it compares or how different it is from the schedule at the MCT website (I know there is one there....but I have no idea where...so a link to that from anyone would be great too).

I can't help you with a schedule. I handed them to dd one at a time, she read them in about half an hour, and then we discussed them. She was probably too old for them, but she really did enjoy them! They just didn't take her too long to get through. With dd7, I'll have her read them after we finish SI, probably spring of 3rd grade year, but I don't really plan on scheduling them per se - I think it will just be a matter of reading and discussing each. They'll probably take a week each to cover, I'm guessing?

Sorry I cant be of more help. I really wouldn't try and stretch them out, I'd just read them at whatever pace works for your dc. Definitely after SI.

Thanks for chiming in Chrysalis. Sounds like the best idea would be to just let him read them after Sentence island and then we'll discuss them.

Could you please link the Satori Smiles Grammar Island schedule? Do you know how it compares or how different it is from the schedule at the MCT website (I know there is one there....but I have no idea where...so a link to that from anyone would be great too).

http://satorismiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/MCT-Island-Schedule1.pdf

I haven't been to the MCT website in a while, but last time I was there, they didn't really have a weekly schedule. Satori Smiles' schedule is a weekly schedule with page numbers from each of the different components.

I think this is the MCT schedule you are referring to, it is very general, just shows the order rather than specific lessons. I got to it from their main Language Arts page, scroll down to the Implementation section.

http://www.rfwp.com/pages/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/LA-ELEM1.pdf

I'm more of a 'do the next thing' type, so I don't think the weekly schedule will work for me, but I am happy to know where the Mudd books fit in (they aren't in the MCT schedule). I haven't actually ordered yet, but planning to soon.

Several months after we finished the Island level, I bought the trilogy for Christmas. In the month or two after Christmas we read one chapter each evening during bedtime stories. That's pretty much it. The trilogy was just further adventures with beloved friends and a stretching vocabulary and writing style.

OMG these MUD trilogy are just awesome! There is so much you can discuss in there. I wish there were more like these books for the elementary age kids.

Anyway, it is pretty much laid back on how to use them. I will share how I did it but you will see that you can do anything with these books. It a great, gentle way to introduce literary analysis. I love it! I love the stories so much, I am keeping the books :)

So, there are 10 words for definition to go over before you start reading the book. I made him copy like 2 words into a notebook with definition and such and we used it in a sentence. Then he read 2 chapters. After reading them, there are quotes from the story we went over them. Then the next day, we went over more definitions and recalled the story and then he read another 2 chapters. We didn't spend alot of time because sometimes we would discuss the books at other times of the day because he LOVED talking about them and what happened.

So, it is one on the easiest things to incorporate them into your day, and it is very flexable. Just have fun with them because they are sooooooo awesome :)

I should add, if you are using these books right after SI and before you start CE, then yes, you will definitely need to pay attention to vocabulary! There are the 10 words to learn before you read, then other vocab words have definitions in footnotes right in the text, so it's easy to do. We did these after we'd already finished CE1, midway through 5th grade, so the words were already familiar, but your typical 3rd or 4th grader will find many,many new words in these books. It's actually my only complaint, I think that topically and reading level wise, these books are perfect after SI, but in terms of cementing the vocab, they would be better after CE. Oh well, I guess doing them first will make the CE vocab seem more familiar and less intimidating.

Rose said >>>>>Oh well, I guess doing them first will make the CE vocab seem more familiar and less intimidating.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Rose I think your absolutely correct in your assumption. Remeber MCT says in the intro --these 10 words are the MOST used in great literature that the children will be reading. I love that he adds more in the story with footnotes.

Also, a character from Paragraph Town is introduced in the MUD Trilogy, which I think is great, too. I am hoping the introduction of the Paragraph Town will make missing MUD less when we do PT.

And Yes, I have a 4th grader and we just finished Building Vocabulary when we started the Trilogy. I also think you should do some of "Music of the Hemisperes" first (atleast the first 2 chapters) because he has examples of using alliteration in literature, which is great to further provide examples of this.

I love that it is all connected.

Thanks for chiming in Chrysalis. Sounds like the best idea would be to just let him read them after Sentence island and then we'll discuss them.

http://satorismiles....d-Schedule1.pdf

I haven't been to the MCT website in a while, but last time I was there, they didn't really have a weekly schedule. Satori Smiles' schedule is a weekly schedule with page numbers from each of the different components.

Thanks for the link!

I think this is the MCT schedule you are referring to, it is very general, just shows the order rather than specific lessons. I got to it from their main Language Arts page, scroll down to the Implementation section.

http://www.rfwp.com/...06/LA-ELEM1.pdf

I'm more of a 'do the next thing' type, so I don't think the weekly schedule will work for me, but I am happy to know where the Mudd books fit in (they aren't in the MCT schedule). I haven't actually ordered yet, but planning to soon.

Yes, this is what I had in mind (I hadn't looked at that in very long time)...and you are right, this is more a chart on when to start each book. The schedule Angela made is much much better. I hope she'll do the other MCT levels (that's a hint Angela! :D ).

OMG these MUD trilogy are just awesome! There is so much you can discuss in there. I wish there were more like these books for the elementary age kids.

Anyway, it is pretty much laid back on how to use them. I will share how I did it but you will see that you can do anything with these books. It a great, gentle way to introduce literary analysis. I love it! I love the stories so much, I am keeping the books :)

So, there are 10 words for definition to go over before you start reading the book. I made him copy like 2 words into a notebook with definition and such and we used it in a sentence. Then he read 2 chapters. After reading them, there are quotes from the story we went over them. Then the next day, we went over more definitions and recalled the story and then he read another 2 chapters. We didn't spend alot of time because sometimes we would discuss the books at other times of the day because he LOVED talking about them and what happened.

So, it is one on the easiest things to incorporate them into your day, and it is very flexable. Just have fun with them because they are sooooooo awesome :)

This is great to hear. I've been kind of on the fence...wondering if I wanted to spend the extra $30 plus shipping. But it sounds like something I don't want to miss.

• 1 year later...