Please list all of the Orton-Gillingham programs you know of.....reading a book

The Logic of English

The Writing Road to Reading

All About Spelling

All About Reading

Barton

Go Phonics

Yes Phonics

Actually, the *method* is Spalding. WRTR is the manual. :-)

LOE, AAS, AAR, and Yes Phonics all clearly have roots in Spalding.

Barton, Wilson, Slingerland. Take Flight.

I think Take Flight is what the Scottish Rite uses.

Abecedarian mentions OG on the home page:)

I have googled in the past, for a fact sheet from the International Dyslexia Association, listing programs that are "sequential simultaneous multi sensory" or however they put it. It was older and did not include Barton. But Barton would be in it now, it is new in a good way.

Going to add -- there are different degrees of programs. Some have a regular learner in mind, but still use sequential phonics and simultaneous multi sensory instruction (am I missing an adjective, lol).

Some are designed for a learner who needs extra practice and who will learn small amounts of new information at a time.

So they are different from each other and have their niches.

So you have different options for a student who is really struggling and a student who is not struggling too bad but would benefit from a quality OG program.

I personally don't think a single program can be all things to all people, but I am not good at adapting.

They mostly say "it will work for any student" but really I think some are designed for someone moving faster with less repetition, that might be too hard for some. The opposite -- might get very boring and also might mean slower progress than a student could make.

That is just me, though.

• Like 2

Going to add -- there are different degrees of programs. Some have a regular learner in mind, but still use sequential phonics and simultaneous multi sensory instruction (am I missing an adjective, lol).

Some are designed for a learner who needs extra practice and who will learn small amounts of new information at a time.

So they are different from each other and have their niches.

Right. Many of my remedial students come from WRTR or similar programs, for many boys it is too much info all at once, they do better with a slower paced phonics program where only a few sounds are introduced at once. (I have only had boy remedial students from WRTR so far.)

The programs that I receive the fewest remedial students from are PP and OPG. Next fewest is Alphaphonics--good for most but the word families cause guessing for some students. (You can use the program across the page if this is a problem.) Most of my remedial students, however, come from schools where they are taught incomplete phonics and a lot of sight words.

I also get remedial students from HOP and BJU or other programs that use a fair number of sight words. And, a few from MFW--the phonics is good, but the way the stories are pre-read allows a student who is prone to guessing to guess the words in the stories and not sound them out.

• Like 3

They also have niches for how DIY or scripted they are.

I only look at the more-scripted programs. That is just me.

Barton is scripted and comes with training DVDs. Abecedarian is scripted and has videos on YouTube (very helpful to me).

That is how I roll.

Some programs are like -- you get the materials and a big manual. Or you get a lot of materials but need to observe a tutor or attend a training seminar. Those are not the best option for me, but they are still quality programs.

Edit: if I had the opportunity to observe a tutor that would be best for me, in addition to a video. I need the chance to watch, and I need a script. Knowing that -- I rule a lot of things out bc I know I would have too much difficulty. But they are still good, and some people hate scripts and have a natural instinct or prior experience where they have no need for videos. Or are just better going from a written explanation to tutoring -- it is quite hard for me.

It is not, which is why it works for my dd. :thumbup:

What is it then? Lol. I've always wondered.

We were using it. I'm selling our last batch because it looks like dd will be going to a specialized school this fall, but it really DOES work. I don't know why, but it does, lol.

I think that ABeCeDarian and Reading Reflex use the phono-graphix approach, rather than O-G.

Some other programs based on O-G method:

PAF (Preventing Academic Failure)

S.P.I.R.E.

Sounds Sensible

The Gillingham Manual

Language Tool Kit

Dyslexia Training Program (Scottish Rite)

Alphabetic Phonics

Language Tool Kit

Wilso

It won't let me edit my last post,but it should say "Wilson".

Some other options that I think are similar in style to O-G method:

Phonics They Use For Reading and Writing (written by Patricia Cunningham)

Phonics for Reading (by Anita Archer, author of the REWARDS reading intervention program)

Hmmm, bad idea for me to start looking at more reading programs. I already own way too many...... :drool5:

Yes, How To Teach Spelling is OG.

Spalding and programs based on it are not strictly OG. OG introduces only one sound or rule at a time.

Recipe For Reading, which Elizabeth linked above, is said to be the most affordable intro to the OG method.

We were using it. I'm selling our last batch because it looks like dd will be going to a specialized school this fall, but it really DOES work. I don't know why, but it does, lol.

I think it is because it is a spiral spelling program so you are constantly using the same words, spelling patterns, etc. in every lesson. Plus lots of copying, dictation, filling in missing letters all cements it into their brains. I believe it is called a morphological approach (spelling using morphemes).

Kleine Hexe, here is some info on the P-G approach: http://www.netplaces...-techniques.htm. I can't get an old post to link up on here since my computer skills are limited :crying: , but if you search the forums for a thread titled "Could somebody tell me more about the Orton-Gillingham approach", you will find some good info posted by Laurie4B. That old thread also has a link to Bright Solutions, which describes the O-G method and lists some of the more well-known programs.

Recipe for Reading is my favorite O-G resource. It's cheap and barebones so I can add in my own "meat" to the lessons tailored to the individual student.

Happy Phonics is an excellent resource for O-G teaching. The games get those phonograms down.

Read, Write, Type by talkingfingers is also excellent. It's O-G via typing. Love this!

I believe Dancing Bears/Apples and Pears is OG.

It is not, which is why it works for my dd. :thumbup:

I think it is because it is a spiral spelling program so you are constantly using the same words, spelling patterns, etc. in every lesson. Plus lots of copying, dictation, filling in missing letters all cements it into their brains. I believe it is called a morphological approach (spelling using morphemes).

I also have used Dancing Bears/Apples & Pears extensively. These would be very Charlotte Mason-ish...if they weren't so didactic. They key in on visualization and patterns. (Morpheme patterns instead of phonograms.) If the content were based in Living Books, they would be my *Perfect* curricula. :drool5:

Morpheme = part of a word that conveys meaning. Phonogram = part of a word that makes a sound.

Divided by morpheme: re - play

Divided by phonogram: r-e-p-l-ay

I used O-G before using Morphemes...so my dc came into Apples & Pears already knowing the phonograms...so the way we apply it is probably different than if we did not already work with phonograms.

The Logic of English is Spalding (WRTR) made more user-friendly. :) I'm *very* tempted to buy the Essentials program (from LOE) to remediate my dd who has speech-related LDs in reading and the language arts, but I'm in the process of just using the book with my own resources before I decide I need to plunk down the money for LOE.

Phono-grafix method:

It is laid out in the book Reading Reflex.

A lot is similar to OG. They do explicit teaching, they do explicit phonics.

Some differences: they don't do spelling at the same time as reading. They don't teach the same "rules" -- there are certain "rules" most OG programs use.

They teach patterns instead of an explicit rule.

For the "silent e" rule: they teach a-e for long a. Then you have them underline the a and e and that is just what they learn. This is compared to -- having tiles and adding the e and taking it away and having them practice that way. They don't (at an early level) talk about "6 uses of silent e" or open and closed syllables.

But honestly I think they are pretty similar! I think the differences are small.

I have used Abecedarian and liked it -- it is decoding only -- where OG programs like Barton are comprehensive language arts programs.

I think the Abecedarian home page has a good explanation.

I am glad to have used both, though. I think both have been good for my son!

Also -- with OG some programs (my son needs one sound at a time period!) are more likely to have a phonogram and you learn the sounds for the phonogram.

With phonografix they organize by sounds, so they have all the spellings for a sound.

But my son does one thing at a time so I think this is a non-issue?

Abecedarian had a kind-of key word thing my son did well with at the time, so I never used a chart like in Reading Reflex. He was not really able to learn sounds from phonogram cards either, though.

Between some programs though that might be a difference.

The dyslexia-focused ones are going to introduce sounds slowly anyway.

Also -- with OG some programs (my son needs one sound at a time period!) are more likely to have a phonogram and you learn the sounds for the phonogram.

With phonografix they organize by sounds, so they have all the spellings for a sound.

But my son does one thing at a time so I think this is a non-issue?

Abecedarian had a kind-of key word thing my son did well with at the time, so I never used a chart like in Reading Reflex. He was not really able to learn sounds from phonogram cards either, though.

Between some programs though that might be a difference.

The dyslexia-focused ones are going to introduce sounds slowly anyway.

Ok, now I see the difference. I used Reading Reflex/ABeCeDarian with my older two. It got them reading quickly and well. My dyslexic ds then moved to REWARDS.

So, while I know how PG works I didn't know how it differed from OG.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but it came up in a Google search and I wanted to add a couple:

Structured Methods in Language Education (SMiLE) by Enid Wolf-Schein https://netforum.avectra.com/eweb/shopping/shopping.aspx?site=agbell&webcode=shopping&shopsearchcat=merchandise&prd_key=6bb23698-4dca-4db0-93bf-10add3848b54

duBard Association Method https://www.usm.edu/dubard/therapy-materials

My K book comes next week so I don't know yet. My four year old is going to use it. My five year old started with book 1 with no problem and I put my seven year old in book 3. I ordered the manual in case I need it or want more, but it will be here next week as well. They were on backorder. I hope to order the readers soon.

I chose Recipe for Reading over Explode the Code because RfR teaches cursive and that is important to me.  I used to teach cursive early but not first and then I was going to teach cursive first to my fifth child but RfR teaches them at the same time in Book 1 so I am just going with that.  I mostly make her write her answers in cursive, but I do want her to know the proper way to print.  It hasn't been a problem for her so far.  

• Like 1