Menu

Course Descriptions - please post tips here

We haven't applied. But first choice doesn't seem to ask our cover school for descriptions. so I don't have any experience in that. but...

I have an idea though if you are in a situation.... you could describe them the same way your state schools describe them??? I just did a search engine using TN high school course description. for some reason though, a link to south bend, IN came up.... (oh... I mistyped TN... and got IN.. oops.. habit I guess) but anyway.... starting on about page 15 of this link, you'll get typical high school course descriptions that public schools use

http://www.sbcsc.k12...escriptions.pdf

would it be permissible to use it as a model to make your own?

edit to add... . here's some for science

http://www.state.tn....ourse_Descr.pdf

and adding this as it's listed by departments....

http://germantownhs.scsk12.org/~bharmon/Site/2013-14_Catalog.html

Dd's first choice asks for course descriptions, and texts used. Along with a number of other things such as written recommendation from her teacher, outside recommendation and a summary of academic performance. So I'd be thankful for any and all samples or templates.

I write course descriptions for all of my high school level courses. I start by writing down what I plan to do, then as the year goes along I add things and delete things, as needed. I write the description in the future tense, as it would be in a school catalogue. I list all resources used (and planned), including textbooks, literature, lectures, videos, etc.

Details will be replaced as needed, of course, but the general format is something like this:

19th Century European Literature

This course will introduce the student to great literary works of 19th century Europe, including Xyz, Abc, Lmn, Cde, Ghi, and Stu. The student will read the literature in translation, listen to college-level lectures from the series Great Literature of the 19th Century, and engage in weekly discussion sessions with the local instructor. Student evaluation will be based on five essays and a written semester examination.

(I made up the title of the lecture series to illustrate how I would include one.)

I'm using ones found in the files section of this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hs2coll/ They are lengthy one page descriptions, not what most would recommend, but my stated goal is to push the admissions folks to rank the transcript as high as possible in terms of rigor so I think going that way is the way to go.

They will still get a basic one page transcript with course titles.

Ummmm..... That would be a link for how to NOT write a course description! ;) :p

:D You know Eight, I think it is wonderful that you are starting these threads with great questions just to humor me and so Lori can stick them all together in one big master thread for those of us who have not yet conquered organizing and safeguarding important threads.

( I also hope you are reading this in the tone that I am using in my head. :tongue_smilie: )

On the serious side, you have been through the admissions process, so if you can think of a topic we need with a "post all your tips here" note, please go ahead and start one. I am still hoping for one thread pinned to the top of the board for easy reference. Sometimes good information shows up in the weirdest threads, so the search function is confounded.

.On the serious side, you have been through the admissions process, so if you can think of a topic we need with a "post all your tips here" note, please go ahead and start one. I am still hoping for one thread pinned to the top of the board for easy reference. Sometimes good information shows up in the weirdest threads, so the search function is confounded.

The only thing I can think of adding to the list that people have already given you about including on the transcript would be adding in small print to the bottom of your transcript something to the effect--"This school operated under XY state law code #." I think that helps when applying out of state b/c the laws vary so much from state to state. Initially when ds was dual enrolling here (before we had physically moved), the admissions office didn't know how to deal with his transcript b/c it was not from an umbrella cover school. They had never had an out of state homeschooler apply and the law on the transcript verified that the state we were still in did not use umbrella schools but worked directly with county superintendents.

Ok, I have finally decided upon a format for presentation. I am creating a 3 column course description.....first column for title, grade, any outsourcing information, associated test score if there is on (like AP or SAT2) and # credits, the 2nd column for curriculum used, and the 3rd column for the course description. After looking at lots of examples, this is the format I like the best b/c it puts all the info in one place for the adcoms. It also gives it a polished, professional look.