Menu

More updates! More annoyance! Neighbor kid and my dog

Whereneverever

You need to start playing loud classical music in the backyard, while spraying the neighbor child with the hose. At least, I heard something similar for dogs...

Sorry you're having such an annoying problem! I hope it gets worked out without too much animosity.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sticky stuff on the fence that's a pain for his mother to wash off him? Unless it's more trouble to have him climb the fence than it is to keep him off it they won't do a thing. Maybe it's bamboo border time?

Oooooh, yeah, I would be tempted to treat the top of the fence with something gooey, dyed bright red... Don't know what would work that you wouldn't have to apply a bajillion times, something that wouldn't dry too fast but could take the heat without running... I would brainstorm. Honey? Tar? Petroleum jelly? :lol:

Oooooh, yeah, I would be tempted to treat the top of the fence with something gooey, dyed bright red... Don't know what would work that you wouldn't have to apply a bajillion times, something that wouldn't dry too fast but could take the heat without running... I would brainstorm. Honey? Tar? Petroleum jelly? :lol:

Yes! Red gel food dye mixed with petroleum jelly!

Pitch :p

ETA: Flypaper

I remember hearing about a non-drying paint a long time ago - there were some kids that kept climbing over a fence and someone used it to get them (or maybe this was a storybook)... Anyways, that might work! Paint the top edge. :)

What about attaching pine cones to the top of the fence on your side? It wouldn't feel good when he grabbed it, but it's not as harmful as barbed wire, and it would not be as fun or exciting as getting squirt with water (What little boy WOULDN'T enjoy that?). My second choice would be an electric fence wire along the top--to keep your dog in, of course....

Definitely get it on record with the police/animal control.

And do not post a beware of dog sign or otherwise suggest that your dog may be dangerous. It could very easily be turned around to say that you clearly knew you were in possession of a dangerous dog if something ever were to happen.

Good luck, and please keep us posted! Your situation has me fuming!

A second unclimbable fence with deep mud in between? It is common here to put sleeves of polished metal round power poles to stop the possums climbing them. Maybe it would work with kids. Or put a slippery extension on top - if you are allowed to go over 6 foot? Otherwise document, get the kids phone number and call them every time he does it. Pray he goes to school soon or the move. Talk to whoever the US equivalent of a community constable.

I do see it as potential child neglect. The kid could fall 6 ft into a yard with a huge dog that he has been harassing and has just startled (by falling.) If your dog did bite in that situation and it was serious, I don't know if you'd really be protected no matter what you have done to try to protect yourself and your dog.

If you don't mind the previous suggestion of attaching the lattice to the top of the fence, that would keep the kid from getting onto your property but not from throwing things at your dog. At least it would protect your dog from a situation in which it might potentially bite.

If you have an HOA you may not be able to attach anything to make the fence higher. I would do something though. I know you said you didn't want to do barbed wire but what if you did it and gave the neighbors a heads-up that there is now barbed wire. I can't imagine that they would let him climb then! I think that if your dog did bite him it could possibly be that it won't matter what actions you took to protect yourself and the dog....your dog will be the one punished for it. Also, I would be very worried about the boy throwing things in your yard. What if something he threw was potentially harmful to your dog? I'd definitely call the police non-emergency line and see what they suggest.

You need to contact the police. Ask them to come out and give you suggestions on the matter. If you do not do something you could be liable for the child's injuries because you are now aware that he will be on the fence and may be in your yard.

You need to ask the police what you need to do to protect yourself, your dog, and your property.

:iagree: 100%.

Put insulators on the fence and electrify it. Get a solar charger if possible. Post signs on the outside of the fence every few feet warning of the electrification. In addition, you must also post no trespassing signs and dog signs as well. Before activating it, send the neighbors a certified letter stating that due to the situation and their refusal to address it (mention the prior two visits and their responses in the letter), you have electrified the fence and posted your property as "no trespassing" to protect your property and dog. Keep a copy of the letter with the certified mailed info attached. Document EVERYTHING. You should then be covered.

And do not post a beware of dog sign or otherwise suggest that your dog may be dangerous. It could very easily be turned around to say that you clearly knew you were in possession of a dangerous dog if something ever were to happen.

Hadn't thought about that.... I'd stick to "NO TRESPASSING".

Help, hive. I have a six foot wooden privacy fence all around my yard. I also have a 100 lb Great Pyrenees. The neighbor kid from the home behind mine has been climbing the fence and yelling at my dog. Today I caught him throwing things at her and trying to climb over the fence. He stopped when I called out to him, but as soon as he thought I wasn't looking started back.

He is preschool or kindy aged. In the yard alone for hours. We have talked to the parents and they told us they don't care if he climbs the fence. Tomorrow my dh will try again. We also called our insurance agent and he said we've done what we can do.

I'm worried he's going to go in my yard and get bitten. My dog has never bitten anyone, but she is territorial and he hasn't been nice to her.

Wwyd?

UPDATE

My dh talked to the parents tonight and they repeated that it's no big deal and they don't care. They will not be telling him to stay off the fence. Awesome.

:huh:

I'm thinking it's time to have a nice talk with the police. This is a bad thing waiting to happen, and you need to be proactive (not that you haven't been so far).

I'd actually go through with the idea of putting something on top of the fence, like the suggestions of petroleum jelly with red food dye. The parents are too lazy to properly supervise and protect their son? Make it more work for them NOT to supervise him. You don't want to hurt him... but making his parents pay the price in clean up is a good option.

So sad that his own parents are refusing to protect their kid so you have to find a way to do it for them. :(

As an ex animal control officer I agree you need to have this documented. I would call animal control and make a report about the child being cruel to the dog. They can come out and investigate - you show them how you are taking your dog out yourself, etc. Hopefully they will catch the little stinker in the act. I think the videoing is a good idea as well. I started doing that when the neighbor was made because my dogs barked when his kids stuck their hands through the fence. (My dogs were not going near the kids at all). I now also walk out with my dogs in my fenced in backyard. Of course this guy thinks nothing of letting his dogs run loose.

These parents are not doing their child any favors. He's going to get hurt - either by falling off the fence or getting bitten. It might not be from your dog but he will continue to taunt animals because he apparently thinks its funny and his parents don't care. You just need to make sure from a legal aspect you are covered. I have visions of them freaking out and suing you for their own negligent and lax parenting.

There is no way in heck I'd let any of my kids climb a fence and if they taunted an animal they know they'd be in serious trouble.

My concern with the vaseline or bike grease or other stuff on the fence is that it might make it slippery and thus make it more likely for the child to slip and fall and get injured, which may increase OPs liability rather than reduce it.

:iagree:

My concern with the vaseline or bike grease or other stuff on the fence is that it might make it slippery and thus make it more likely for the child to slip and fall and get injured, which may increase OPs liability rather than reduce it.

Absolutely. Please don't try a "home remedy" (for lack of a better term) for this. You've talked to the parents. Next send a letter certified/return receipt reiterating your concerns that the child is harassing your dog and that you are concerned the child will fall from that high fence. This will help keep it from becoming a he said/she said argument. And call the police and your insurance company to get everything on record before an incident occurs.

If you squirt water on him, or put something sharp or slippery or with any potential to make him fall or otherwise hurt himself, you will be held responsible. The parents are not going to admit that you had already complained to them.

I'm so sorry.

How is the child climbing the fence? Is he using things placed against his side of the fence to climb up? Or is there something about the construction of the fence itself that allows him to climb it? If the second, you could replace the section of fencing that faces this neighbor's house with a type of fence that would not be easily climbable (all flat vertical surfaces with any horizontal pieces on your side of the fence so that they cannot be used as hand or foot holds).

The fence is on the property line, but we maintain it. I could plant bushes in that corner to keep my dog further away, but that doesn't stop him from climbing in.

I know that in one town we lived in, if it's on the property line, it belongs to both, no matter who put it in. If it is truly "your" fence, can you make it unclimbable?

What I would use to guide my decisions:

1. I would not want to do anything that would put a child in jeopardy or would allow someone to say that I was even possibly putting a child into jeopardy. Not just because I obviously don't want to hurt a child but because it would put me in a very bad light if this escalated.

2. I would not want to do anything that scared my dog because I would not want an easy-going dog to become aggressive out of fear etc. This means that doing nothing would not be an option for me because letting the child continue to harass the dog could result in this.

3. I would keep things in writing between you and the neighbor from now on. Someone else made the point first - you don't want this to be a "he said/ she said" thing.

4. I would contact authorities. For one thing, they really are community helpers and might have some good ideas. For another, it gives an official record of your concern and proactiveness. And it is harder for the neighbors to ignore authorities if they are contacted by them.

5. I would emphasize safety for both the dog and the child in any discussions with anyone. The person who said that you don't want to characterize your dog as a threat is correct. Emphasize his safety. Also- emphasize your property rights.

If you have an HOA you may not be able to attach anything to make the fence higher. I would do something though. I know you said you didn't want to do barbed wire but what if you did it and gave the neighbors a heads-up that there is now barbed wire. I can't imagine that they would let him climb then! I think that if your dog did bite him it could possibly be that it won't matter what actions you took to protect yourself and the dog....your dog will be the one punished for it. Also, I would be very worried about the boy throwing things in your yard. What if something he threw was potentially harmful to your dog? I'd definitely call the police non-emergency line and see what they suggest.

I checked my copy of my HOA and you are correct. I can't go over six feet on a fence. They also don't allow fencing other then solid plank wood.

How is the child climbing the fence? Is he using things placed against his side of the fence to climb up? Or is there something about the construction of the fence itself that allows him to climb it? If the second, you could replace the section of fencing that faces this neighbor's house with a type of fence that would not be easily climbable (all flat vertical surfaces with any horizontal pieces on your side of the fence so that they cannot be used as hand or foot holds).

He is stacking things on his side.

I know that in one town we lived in, if it's on the property line, it belongs to both, no matter who put it in. If it is truly "your" fence, can you make it unclimbable?

He's stacking things on his side. :(

Since I updated yesterday he started scaling the fence that borders one of my other neighbor's home. He was heckling their dog, as well, and they came outside and yelled at him. So, now, there is another family in the neighborhood aware that this is going on. I plan to walk over to their house to talk about this with them so we are on the same page.

I called my home insurance agent back and asked to have this written up and officially noted in my file for a paper trail. I also have talked to a friend who is a local police officer and he said we can file a report but there isn't a lot else we can do unless we can prove he's home alone or something. And that filing a report means they will talk to the neighbors, which may escalate into some unpleasant feelings and animosity.

I'm sure it's lost in the volume of the hive but I've posted a couple of times that we are hoping to move. DH and I talked about it and I think we are going to step up the timeline on that. Dh and I have found a really nice 35 acre plot in a great location and we are going to get a house on it, hopefully by end of summer.

I think long term getting my sweet dog and kids away from this mess will protect us the best.

I can keep updating if everyone wants. :)

I also have talked to a friend who is a local police officer and he said we can file a report but there isn't a lot else we can do unless we can prove he's home alone or something. And that filing a report means they will talk to the neighbors, which may escalate into some unpleasant feelings and animosity.

I would still file a report so that there is a paper trail should something happen. The homeowners insurance note is only one part of a paper trail. The one at the police station is more relevant should an emergency situation occur prior to your moving. There is no way to not have unpleasant feelings at this point.

I checked my copy of my HOA and you are correct.

How often does the board meet and are any of their neighbors on it? Is there an avenue for formal complaint?

ETA: At the very least, I'd press them to formally OK something that you can do to the fence to discourage the child from a list provided to them.

Agreeing with keeping a record and calling police. Make sure to tell police that the parents don't seem to care what their kid does, giving exact quotes as much as possible. That could trigger a visit from police or social services.

But to respond to two of your questions:

I'm trying to figure out how I can video- I don't have a smart phone or anything. Lol. I'd love roses, but we are on water restrictions all summer- are there any really low irrigation options? I know I can stick some sort of prickly bush there.

Many digital cameras have video options.

Japanese barberry stands dry areas. Try to get the plain old species, rather than a fancy dwarf variety. Barberries are generally inexpensive and easy to grow in temperate areas i.e. not the coldest states and not tropical areas.

I just remembered pyracantha -- it's a shrub that looks like a vine because it has branches all over the place. It is usually trained to grow against a fence or other vertical surface. It will grow much faster than barberry, has pretty shiny leaves and red berries.

Both pyracantha and barberry are relatively inexpensive plants. They come in containers and can be planted at any time during the growing season.

Both pyracantha and barberry are excellent bird plants. (Most barberries have fruits are dark blue and not very ornamental.) You can say that you are making a bird garden. The National Wildlife Federation has a certification program for bird friendly gardens.

Even if it leaves sour feelings with the people to have the police talk to them, it needs to be done imo. You need to CYA and protect your dog more than you need to worry about their feelings. They certainly didn't worry about yours, or the protection of your dog when they continued to allow this. The sour feelings are already there. The claim needs to be filed with the police, and police speaking to them, because even though there is no charges to be laid you need to have your bases covered. It doesn't matter if you plan on moving quickly. If this afternoon the kid does something that gets him hurt or bitten it won't matter that you meant to move quickly, people like that will sue at the drop of a hat. And if they escalate things, then they will likely commit a chargable offense anyhow.

Sticky stuff on the fence that's a pain for his mother to wash off him? Unless it's more trouble to have him climb the fence than it is to keep him off it they won't do a thing. Maybe it's bamboo border time?

:iagree: Maybe honey or tree sap. Something hard to clean off.

Even if it leaves sour feelings with the people to have the police talk to them, it needs to be done imo. You need to CYA and protect your dog more than you need to worry about their feelings. They certainly didn't worry about yours, or the protection of your dog when they continued to allow this. The sour feelings are already there. The claim needs to be filed with the police, and police speaking to them, because even though there is no charges to be laid you need to have your bases covered. It doesn't matter if you plan on moving quickly. If this afternoon the kid does something that gets him hurt or bitten it won't matter that you meant to move quickly, people like that will sue at the drop of a hat. And if they escalate things, then they will likely commit a chargable offense anyhow.

You totally read my mind. This situation makes me wonder if that is what these uninvolved parents are hoping for. Not that their child is injured, but something that they could sue you for. But if a potential situation like that did ensue. of course, the child would probably be hurt. These parents are negligent, in my opinion. This was the very reason we did not want our neighbor's child on our property; we knew they were sue happy and already had problems with them. We were told by police since said child was a minor, there was nothing that could be done. It didn't fall under trespassing because of the child's age.

How often does the board meet and are any of their neighbors on it? Is there an avenue for formal complaint?

ETA: At the very least, I'd press them to formally OK something that you can do to the fence to discourage the child from a list provided to them.

I would report it to your HOA. Have them deal with it; that's what they are there for.

Since the child seems to be climbing the fence in order to look into your yard at the dog, what about putting up something to block the view? For example, attach a tarp or canopy near the top of your side of the fence (e.g., with hooks through the grommets on the tarp). Support the other ends of the tarp with 8' tall poles positioned a few feet into your property.

Something like this: http://www.houzz.com...eclectic-patio-

ETA: On second thought, I suppose that the child could attempt to climb out onto the tarp, and fall as a result. He may not be old enough to recognize that the tarp would not support his weight.

You could call CPS. Provoking a dog is a dangerous thing for a kid to be doing and his parents should be held responsible for stopping him. I would give the parents a warning that I was going to have to call CPS next time the kid did it. I would also videotape it so that if he does get bit, you have evidence that he was attacking your dog first.

I would report it to your HOA. Have them deal with it; that's what they are there for.

Depends on what's in the Deed of Restrictions or bylaws. Our HOA does not deal with animal issues. The bylaws explicitly state to contact Animal Control or the police with any issues.

Depends on what's in the Deed of Restrictions or bylaws. Our HOA does not deal with animal issues. The bylaws explicitly state to contact Animal Control or the police with any issues.

I was thinking also of the trespassing and throwing things into the OP's yard.

I agree with the things the others are suggesting about a paper trail and contacting authorities.

Any hope that you could "kill 'em with kindness?" Maybe the next time the hooligan climbs your fence you could say "hi kiddo, I see you are really interested in Fluffy. It scares Fluffy when you yell and throw things at her. Would you like to meet me in the street and learn how to make friends with her? " If the kid agreed you could let him throw her some treats (have dh hold the dog on a leash....I don't know if petting would be an option though), show him some of Fluffy 's puppy pictures, let Fluffy show off some tricks. Once you were friends with the boy (and he had kinder thoughts toward your dog) you may have more of a chance to influence his behavior. Your dog would have some good feelings about the kid and be less likely to bite if the kid ever did fall into the yard and the neighbors may be less likely to retaliate.

Obviously this may not work, just wanted to toss out the idea.

I was thinking also of the trespassing and throwing things into the OP's yard.

No HOA I've ever been involved with would deal with issues like that. Only what is covered in the Deed of Restrictions or bylaws. They don't do interference over criminal or civil legal issues that aren't related to the Deed/bylaws.

Definitely time to call the police. Tell them about the other neighbor as well.

If you can't modify your fence, could you put a framework inside your fence that's "decorative" to "train climbing vines" or something? It's truly insane that anyone should need to go to this much trouble and expense to keep a little preschool punk from messing with your dog and property. I shudder to think what he'll be like at 13+ with this as the foundation.

It can't hurt to contact the HOA and see if they have any suggestions.

I agree with CathieC regarding the HOA -- unless laws on HOAs vary a lot between states, this isn't something an HOA would handle. Ours is very clear that they have no authority/jurisdiction to intervene in things like the OP's situation.

I agree with those who say get the police involved. You need to do it to protect your dog. Because otherwise if the kid ends up getting bit, the dog is the one who will pay, and very likely with his life. In our society dogs don't have the benefit of being considered innocent until proven guilty. So you need to prove he's innocent before the issue arises.

I think someone earlier in the thread suggested putting up beware of dog signs -- I would research very, very thoroughly before I did that. There's a school of thought amongst dog people that if you put up signs like that and your dog bites someone the sign could be used as evidence that you knew the dog was dangerous. I don't know if that scenario is likely or not, but it would make me think twice before putting up a sign.

We have a condo and our HOA sure are shooting would get involved. They LOVE enforcing rules and if your fence is meeting the HOA's rules and someone is trespassing onto your property, our HOA would step in. Contact them ASAP. The worst they can do is say, "We can't help but we will document this." Get to know the other person this is happening to and call the non-emergency police number. Perhaps a friendly visit from a cop reminding the idiots to keep their child on their side of the fence will help. It will at least give them the knowledge that they aren't going to hold you hostage by their refusal to safely parent their child.

We have a condo and our HOA sure are shooting would get involved. They LOVE enforcing rules and if your fence is meeting the HOA's rules and someone is trespassing onto your property, our HOA would step in. Contact them ASAP. The worst they can do is say, "We can't help but we will document this." Get to know the other person this is happening to and call the non-emergency police number. Perhaps a friendly visit from a cop reminding the idiots to keep their child on their side of the fence will help. It will at least give them the knowledge that they aren't going to hold you hostage by their refusal to safely parent their child.

I'm surprised people are suggesting barbed wire and spraying the child. :huh: Unless they were just kidding.

I'm not. Barbed wire will scratch his hands but it's not going to seriously injure him. Especially if the kid stays in his own cotton picking yard. Getting a bandaid or getting wet is hardly traumatic inducing.

Geez. The OP is being ridiculously nice. I'd have screamed at the kid to leave my dogs alone and get off my property or I would call the police and then I'd do it.

Oh man. I vote tree sap. I have a tree that oozes tree sap and it isn't at all slippery, but GAH! It's awful. It stains their clothes and is still sticky even after a run through the washer and dryer. It only took once for me to read my boys the riot act for climbing that tree. Lol

:iagree: Maybe honey or tree sap. Something hard to clean off.

We have a condo and our HOA sure are shooting would get involved. They LOVE enforcing rules and if your fence is meeting the HOA's rules and someone is trespassing onto your property, our HOA would step in.

But the issue is that trespassing isn't an HOA rule like keeping your yard mowed or your trash cans behind your house. It's a law. And an HOA (at least in our state) has no authority to enforce laws. HOA rules, yes. Laws, no.

:iagree: My HOA would be all over it in a heartbeat. Plus we have quiet a few law enforcement living in

our 'hood. While they do not 'police' our 'hood, their co-workers do. :D