Menu

I need help with party ideas

Here's the deal:

DH has been serving as pastor at our church for almost 1 year now, he was "interim" pastor for 6 months prior to being called as "official" pastor. So we know these folks pretty well by now and they know us.

Last November (so 7 months ago) we bought and moved into a house. A large group of our church was instrumental in helping us paint/clean/move and so have seen the house "in progress". Several have been back since we have moved in and settled.

Shortly after moving in, dh told the church we would have an open house soon. (Lots of people were asking about the new place.) We have not yet had the open house, due to the holidays, a trip to Disney, family visits and school.

We are ready now, but I feel like it's been too long to call it an "open house". Now it's just a "come hang out with the pastor's family and eat a hot dog" party.

I need help coming up with a clever/fun name so I can make up an invitation flyer. And I am not creative so any other tips, advice and ideas for a gathering like this is greatly appreciated!

*It's a smallish church, maybe around 60, so we're not talking about hundreds of people here. And there are tons of small children included in this number.

Thanks!

Around here, ymmv, we call a party for a new house a "house warming" and people bring gifts an stop over to see the house. An "open house" is any gathering where people can come and go whenever they want during a set time frame. At this point a house warming might feel weird but an open house still works if you want people to come and go, be free to stay a short or long time.

I went to a party once where the host provided the fixings for different regional hot dogs. There were toppings with signs saying how to make a new york dog, chicago dog etc. It was interesting! I wish I could remember what the party was called!

Dog n Suds is a drive-in chain. Maybe you could borrow the name for your party and serve hot dogs and root beer. Maybe do a 50s theme.

Around here, ymmv, we call a party for a new house a "house warming" and people bring gifts an stop over to see the house. An "open house" is any gathering where people can come and go whenever they want during a set time frame. At this point a house warming might feel weird but an open house still works if you want people to come and go, be free to stay a short or long time.

I went to a party once where the host provided the fixings for different regional hot dogs. There were toppings with signs saying how to make a new york dog, chicago dog etc. It was interesting! I wish I could remember what the party was called!

Dog n Suds is a drive-in chain. Maybe you could borrow the name for your party and serve hot dogs and root beer. Maybe do a 50s theme.

Thank you! I was pondering the idea of a hot dog "bar" with lots if different toppings available. Regional dogs would be fun!

I agree about a house warming, I don't want to give any impression that gifts would be necessary.