Menu

What would you do?

Col267

I have been using both Horizons and Singapore math with my 8yo (almost 9yo) DD. She is ready to begin Horizons Grade 4 and is part way through Singapore 3B. I feel that using both of these programs has given her a really great math education so far. However, the trouble is that I have three younger DCs, two whom I also teach and one toddler. I am swamped! Math takes so much of our time and I would love to simplify, but I don't know which program to drop. My DD LOVES Horizons and would be so disappointed to drop it. However, I am afraid to let Singapore go because of the strong mental math//critical thinking/word problem component. I have even learned a lot from teaching Singapore! In an ideal world, I would continue with both, but if I do that I'm afraid I will be so frustrated that no one will be happy. :crying: My DD is bright and learns new things very quickly so I want to make sure that she is challenged and stretched. I have thought about using just Singapore's CWP and Mental Math books as a supplement to Horizons, but I wonder what we'll be missing if we don't actually use the text, workbook, and HIG. I've even thought about moving to Teaching Textbooks as that would free me up so much, but I've read mixed reviews on TT and I don't want to compromise the quality of her education. Help! What would you do?

Since you like doing both programs, could you keep both and just spread them out so you are doing less each day? It would take a little longer to get through the books and you'd probably need to do math during the summer but I'm pro summer school anyway. Or let Singapore go for a while and add it back in after you've had a break. I'd have a hard time giving up either one too if they are working so well for both of you.

Don't worry about an ideal world, just make it work for you. If you need to drop one of them, your DD will still be bright, it's not going to make her stupid :thumbup:

I may land up with this problem some day too as I also use both Singapore and Horizons - what I do at the moment is use Horizons as a review - she basically just does the worksheet for the day and I do not make her do all the problems either. She is starting Singapore 2A now and Horizons 1 the second book - this means most of my teaching time is spent teaching the concepts using Singapore while Horizons I barely have to teach unless something comes up that we have not covered yet.

By 4th grade your child should be able to do something independently - perhaps it could be one of the Math? I am not sure how it would work with the levels you are using though since you are ahead in Horizons. Perhaps slow one down til it does become that one will essentially be revision of the other.

Thanks for the replies. My DD does work well independently. She does Horizons on her own, unless she has a question on something. We do slow down the Singapore and do some in the summer already, but it's still too much for us at this point. I like doing school with my DC, but I also want time to live life, do ministry, etc. KWIM? So, now I'm considering BJU math. Anyone have thoughts on that? I'm wondering if it will be a good compromise of a broader scope and sequence (like Horizons), but also include strong mental math and conceptual understanding components. If I can swing it, I would probably want to do with the DVDs too, as that would free me up to do more with my younger DC. Anyone have experience with BJU math and/or the DVDs? Thanks!