Menu

How did I just find out about this? Great planning software - One Note

Try a program called Growly Notes for the Mac. It's free and very similar to OneNote.

Thanks - I will check it out!

I bought the iPad app "Index Card for iPad" ( http://www.denvog.com/app/index-card/ ) last night, I think it is going to work well for my "brainstorming" (aka, sitting on the bed surrounded by stuff trying to make sense of it!), it will export the stuff I create into Scrivener - which I already own. This should give me an easy, portable way to brain dump, then refine and put into OLLY.

I think.

I'm also going to try it for meal planning - just having a bunch of cards of favorites (no recipes), then moving them into a project with multiple weeks in it. Again, a work in progress (something I thought of at 3:30am today - so.... :p )

But, now i'm off to check out Growly Notes!!! :D

I know! I love it!

In OneNote, I'm ablest to sync ds's laptop with my computer. When he marks something off it shows up on mine and vice-versa. I like it because I make tables and check boxes. I wish it had all the features Word has, but it's good enough for me.

Told see some of my checklists, I have them saved here and I made a timeline.

I also use it as a rolodex for phones, addresses, user ids and passwords. I have a password set for my password tab. I keep all of my curriculum plans with links and price. I rely on OneNote for just about everything. Right now I'm working on high school plans and making tables for each subject.

I also keep a media list folder by subject so I can easily reference what I have used and file things I come across for the future.

Awesome! Where did you get your timeline images?

I love this thread btw :)

I'm playing around with OneNote. I was creating notebooks and playing around. I clicked on "new section group" and I'm not sure what that is. It's like a folder inside a folder I guess. Anyway, I could not figure out how to delete it.

So, I watched some youtube videos but nothing said anything about deleting notebooks or New Section Groups.

I searched the Microsoft help section. It told me how to delete notebooks but not new section groups. Ugh. Getting frustrated.

I googled. Found an article by some person (thank you mystery person) who explained how to delete new section groups.

At first, I felt like a dunce because the beginning of the article the person writes that OneNote was created to be so user friendly as to be idiot proof. Well, then call me an idiot because I couldn't figure out how to delete the new section group I'd created but didn't want.

Then this wonderful person explains that microsoft purposely does not allow notebooks and certain file groups to be deleted while actually *in* OneNote. This is to protect the user from himself and accidently deleting something and not having backup. One has to delete certain files from under the Documents section from the computer.

Woohoo! I'm not a complete dunce after all.....just a little bit. Back to playing.

• Like 3

I have been playing around with it too. I really like it. I am using it for all sorts of things--dietary change stuff (I am trying to quit sugar), housecleaning stuff, also re homeschool, as a place to stick resources, ideas, books, links, videos etc for each subject. I really like it! thank you for pointing it out to us!

I've spent the weekend playing around and I think I figured out a system I like. On my top tabs I have 4 terms, just so I could break the year into manageable chunks. I then have each term broken into weeks, so I have a page for each week. I set it up with the checklist system posted above, with any relevant links to the side of each subject. We will be doing some major traveling for the next few months, so I decided to take pictures of the sections of whatever bulky teacher manuals I don't want to bring, using OneNote on my Android phone. I uploaded them to another tab I created for documents and titled them with the appropriate subject and week. I then made a link from within my weekly checklist to the picture of the teacher's manual needed for that week. It took me about 30 minutes to plan a complete week. It will be faster for weeks that we aren't traveling, as I don't see a need to upload teacher's manuals for the whole year. I also created a tab for future purchases and interesting articles, etc. I will try to upload a screenshot later.

• Like 1

Can anyone help me figure out the most efficient way to make a list of lessons that I can later drag individually to each day's schedule? For example, I want to make a list of 60 reading passages that don't require any extra information, and then just put them on the weekly schedule as they are necessary. I'd rather not put each assignment on a weekly page to begin with in case we need to take a week off or do double another week. I think I could just make up a bunch of bullets on an assignment page for that subject and then snip and drop them each week. Is there a better way to do it?

Can anyone help me figure out the most efficient way to make a list of lessons that I can later drag individually to each day's schedule? For example, I want to make a list of 60 reading passages that don't require any extra information, and then just put them on the weekly schedule as they are necessary. I'd rather not put each assignment on a weekly page to begin with in case we need to take a week off or do double another week. I think I could just make up a bunch of bullets on an assignment page for that subject and then snip and drop them each week. Is there a better way to do it?

If you write them all out in OneNote, you can link to them in another tab/note. For example, I've written out library books I'll need for each unit and then copied the link of that paragraph into my weekly schedule. You just click it from there and it brings you to the main paragraph.

Okay, this thread has inspired me to use One Note to plan beyond just my history and science topics. So, I set up another notebook for our skill/daily subjects.

I have four tabs, dividing the year into 4 terms (Sept through Nov, Dec through Feb, Mar through May, and June through Aug) since we go year round. Each tab has a page for each week, starting the second week of September. On each page is a grid (that I actually did in Excel) with all the subject we do and the days of the week. I was able to copy and paste it into each page, one table for ds and one for dd (different items on each). I went through and marked vacation/break weeks first. We go no more than 5 weeks at a time without a week off, which will allow me to adjust without getting too far off, with 3 weeks off at Christmas, and two weeks in end of Aug/beginning of Sept. This has us doing school for 40 weeks.

Now I have from now until the second week of September to enter our plans for next year.

Don't forget to back up your hard work when you are done. :)

I set up my backup program to make a backup copy every morning to my larger second hard drive. It erases anything older than 3 copies.

I set up ours to backup to Dropbox. I hope that works!

I just got Growly Notes for Mac the other day and have already found it valuable for me. From what I've read, it's the Mac notebook app that's most similar to OneNote, though there's no iOS version, yet. In fact, DS was playing with my computer yesterday and said, "Hey! You got OneNote!"

(Circus Ponies is another, and it's only $35 if you get a free trial and then use the coupon that comes with the free-trial key. And it's Mac OS and iOS. I haven't gotten my free download yet, though.)

More importantly, I had given up on having DS do notebooking (because anything he has to hand-write is really painful, and a .doc gets really long, scattered and/or labor-intensive). OneNote/GrowlyNotes/CircusPonies would be the type of thing that opens that option back up for us!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I actually used Wonders of Old from Knowledge Quest. I got the ebook and had to snapshot each page out of the PDF and into OneNote. I just checked it and now I can just copy and paste the whole document into OneNote and use the "insert as a printout" option, then just rearrange how I like. So much easier!

I think I need to figure out how to get OneNote as a print driver.  Will try it tomorrow.  Maybe dh will figure it out!!

Yes I have it going on the ipad app.  I can't open attachments through there unless it is a MS office attachment so it is mostly for a quick glance to see what we have going on that day :)  I'm going to try to print to the onenote screen if I can figure it out so that I can view it from the ipad.  For instance, I downloaded a nice calendar of every month of the year and then highlighted the weeks I plan to have school.  This is a pdf so I have to click on it from onenote on my PC.  I cant open it from my ipad.  If I can print it onto the onenote page, I will be able to view it from the ipad.

Hmmmmm. I have various hardware issues, but I put a PDF in a table on the PC (o.n. 2010), and couldn't view it on there for some stupid reason. Really? I don't have a pdf viewer on that machine??? Anyway, when I moved it to outline+ it opens the PDF. I was surprised about that, but it was nice. Outline doesn't do check boxes yet tho (we have 2 ipad1s, and outline is the only app that runs on them).

I thought I could annotate on PDFs in one note, I didn't get that far because of the stupid viewer issue... I need to sort this out today, I need to start typing on something!!! Lol! I have to figure out how to get another laptop - and need to figure out if I'm doing a windows or Mac hack (I cannot afford a new Mac laptop). Ugh.

I think I need to figure out how to get OneNote as a print driver.  Will try it tomorrow.  Maybe dh will figure it out!!

It was automatic for me. When I select print, OneNote is an option in the printer select drop down menu.  

Your lesson plans look great!

It was automatic for me. When I select print, OneNote is an option in the printer select drop down menu.

Your lesson plans look great!

DH couldn't get it to work (he is,a developer). There is no onenote print driver. We are wondering if it is because we bought onenote2013 but have office2010

I put my map images in manually. Here is a sample

post-30492-0-25590200-1373293734_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You're wanting to print a PDF to OneNote? I'm using the 2010 version, but in OneNote itself, go to Insert->File Printout. Then select the PDF file, and it will print it into the page. I've done it once so far (just started playing with this program last week, of course discovering it the day I needed to clean my house for company! :lol:).

I also have the printer driver, but haven't used that yet. It automatically installed when Office 2010 was installed, I guess. I didn't notice it until I looked for it just now. :)

Bosco, I was trying to do what Plumcrazy mentioned about just sending individual pages into onenote (my mapquest maps) so that I didn't have to copy as separate files. 

I wanted to share what I'm doing just because I think it helps us to brainstorm.  This is my excel spreadsheet that I'm using to create my lesson plans for BJU science next year.  For this (because it is so many rows), I had to separate it into 4 sheets in order to get all of the program to view.  Doing that, I am able to view the lessonplans from my ipad onenote app science tab.  I don't think I can edit from the ipad app, but I will be happy to be able to view everything from my couch as I look at what we need to do coming up.

9246029156_72fcdffc14_b.jpg

Bosco, I was trying to do what Plumcrazy mentioned about just sending individual pages into onenote (my mapquest maps) so that I didn't have to copy as separate files. 

Oh, gotcha! One page at a time. Yeah, I guess you'd need the print driver for that.

I love the screenshots you're posting! I've been using it for a week, and I am certainly in love. I even put our 6 week dinner menu in it, with recipes linked. No more "I can't find the recipe! Ahhhhhh!" :) I'm using the app on my phone and will install the app on my tablet also (both Android). I love that I can take a picture of a science experiment and stick it in that experiment's page directly from my phone. Very cool!

• Like 2

I'm using a Mac but running on Parallels which is a microsoft thingy.  It works like a PC.  (dh is my tech guy so I'm clueless)  I'm not sure what the problem is.  My MS office 2010 doesn't have onenote so dh purchased it as the 2013 version.

I am making do with various things.  DH helped me print to Microsoft XPS document writer.  Then I save each file and then I can insert it at the top tab "insert picture". 

Regarding long spreadsheets, this is how I got it to show my 300+ row document.  I had to separate it into 4 different sheets of 94 rows or less (not sure of the exact number as I was separating weeks).  Each sheet of the one file sequentially lists my lesson plans.  When I drag the spreadsheet to the OneNote page and choose insert spreadsheet (I had to have my document closed or it wouldn't work), all 4 sheets showed up sequentially, one after the other in one long page view of the spreadsheet.  It looks really nice!  I can then view this from my ipad when on the onenote app.

When I originally tried to view it as one long document, I could only get the first 94ish rows to show visible.

I'm back to trying Growly on the Macs. OneNote has some quirks that I am actually surprised about - sorta.... not really. On the Mac side I really really like the apps that I can just have a PDF open in Preview (Macs built in PDF app for those that don't know), then from the page listing pane I can just drag that page to the note page I am working on. Then I can add extras to it and whatnot. MS doesn't make it as easy at all.... and I'm somewhat shocked that they just added the ability to view spreadsheets "live" in OneNote with version 2013. I was doing something similar to that on the Mac 15+ years ago! :p

I think my "plan" for the moment is to just get my stuff typed in XL, and then decide how the kid is going to view it. Growly will let me do most of what I want for her side of the fence (although I have to play with tables today), my biggest issue right now is getting them laptops. :( (we are going to need portable school). Although i'd love to be able to skip the laptop and go for an iPad - i just don't think there is an app like what I envision/need.

I'm happy everyone has been sharing - it really has helped me sort it out for our needs.... you know, the ones that are changing by the hour!

I have a Fire and haven't found an app for it yet.

I'm working on OneNote solely from our PC and the thought of trying to do much on it from a tablet makes me a little queasy, LOL.  I like seeing everything big and up close on a monitor.  We have our computer desk next to the table where we do school, though, so it's no big deal for me to switch back and forth easily.

(Although now you're making me think about getting a laptop...)

....my biggest issue right now is getting them laptops. :( (we are going to need portable school). Although i'd love to be able to skip the laptop and go for an iPad - i just don't think there is an app like what I envision/need.

Just my thoughts: think about getting laptops. I know iPads are very fun, but they're pretty fragile. I personally can't work very productively without a full keyboard and a big screen. If the bigger screen isn't an issue, they have smaller laptops which are great for being more portable. (Top 10 Best Mini Laptops in 2013) I've used the Gateway before & I like it a lot.

My laptop is a Mac so I'm going to look into Growly. From what I've read in this thread about One Note it seems really awesome! So I hope this one is impressive, looking at reviews of it & the product page I'm already impressed. I do like the simpler look at One Note though-- but I can get over the aesthetic.

Thanks everyone for the fabulous input! :hurray:

Just my thoughts: think about getting laptops. I know iPads are very fun, but they're pretty fragile. I personally can't work very productively without a full keyboard and a big screen. If the bigger screen isn't an issue, they have smaller laptops which are great for being more portable. (Top 10 Best Mini Laptops in 2013) I've used the Gateway before & I like it a lot.

My laptop is a Mac so I'm going to look into Growly. From what I've read in this thread about One Note it seems really awesome! So I hope this one is impressive, looking at reviews of it & the product page I'm already impressed. I do like the simpler look at One Note though-- but I can get over the aesthetic.

Thanks everyone for the fabulous input! :hurray:

We actually have owned iPads since their launch - and both of those are still in great shape and like new! There are other issues at play in the choosing for the one child (she is my special needs/learning disability child) that are making it difficult. Child 3 needs a laptop for her virtual school stuff, so that is an "easy" decision. WHich doesn't help with the funds at the moment.

I did find a new app today that I think is awesome for video/audio/written alternate output for the iPad.

http://www.kdanmobile.com/en/noteledge/index.html

And this review really shows some cool things:

IT is available on other platforms, but it looks like it might not have as many features on Android.

So all of this comes into play in my choice for the middle child.....

I've been stealing ds's laptop on the weekends, but I'd really like to have something in the schoolroom that can read the PDF's, access YouTube videos and see my OneNote schedule. I think that will help me check off work for the littles like ds.

ETA his laptop is a $300 Acer I got at Walmart a few years back during back to school. It's run everything nicely. I would like a larger screen because there will be times where I'll be showing both ds and dd a video or something. Plus it will show my larger OneNote pages without having to scroll or shrink. ;)

Your first list - a tablet should work - iPad or Android. Not a big screen - but portable!

I"m lusting for an 11" MacBook Air..... I have a nice monitor to dock it to at my desk. Oh and I want a newer iPad..... and the winning Powerball numbers :D

• Like 1

After seeing this thread a few days ago, I jumped on the OneNote bandwagon (we already had it, but I've never used it). Two late nights and probably 12 hours later, I've included the curriculum I've used for each grade so far (fortunately we're only up to 3rd grade) with images and links. I've also noted what I will need to replace/purchase for the younger kids as they move up. Ahh, I do so enjoy organizing! My DH just kind of shook his head and told me I needed to stop staying up past midnight. :blushing:

• Like 4

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire. Does anyone know if there is an app for OneNote or if there is any way for OneNote to work in it? I think that would be the only thing preventing me from getting the Fire over a laptop. 

Just realized that the SplashTop app that lets you control your PC from your Fire would be perfect for accessing OneNote. I still wouldn't want to create much from the Fire, but I can check off boxes and see my lesson plans easily.

Does anyone use the ipad version of this? Downloaded it free this orning but now Im nervous about trying it. I'm wondering if I'll prefer it to HSTP. Do you think it's easier to use than homeschool tracked. How would I print daily task sheets or would I need to bother with that. I ave Evermore also.

I sat down and created a OneNote notebook for our grammar curriculum. "The Blue Book of Grammar" I love how I have each weeks curriculum laid out with links to the grammar videos, a few silly videos like schoolhouse rock, online practice games to go with specific rules and some specific homonym practice drills and games from spellingcity.com. I'll be able to copy over weeky list to the kids notebooks and they can check it off when they are done. So excited!

• Like 3

I sat down and created a OneNote notebook for our grammar curriculum. "The Blue Book of Grammar" I love how I have each weeks curriculum laid out with links to the grammar videos, a few silly videos like schoolhouse rock, online practice games to go with specific rules and some specific homonym practice drills and games from spellingcity.com. I'll be able to copy over weeky list to the kids notebooks and they can check it off when they are done. So excited!

Could you take a screen shot of this? I'd like to see it. I am using Growly Notes because I don't have One Note. I just started messing with it yesterday. Does anyone know how to put in a video from YouTube that is not just a link but the actual video?

• Like 2

OK, so I have had a ton of fun working with Growly notes. I have started planning out my Rod and Staff Grammar lessons to make them more independent. I am making videos right on my computer by recording my computer screen and doing the oral drill. It will save me a ton of time during the school year and it will be saved for my other kids coming up. Here is a screen shot of the lesson plan page: 

9m2.png

And here is a sample video of my Oral Practice: 

http://youtu.be/19WtCA6jFVo

• Like 3

Yup!  Just found out about this too.  I've already ordered a laptop (my early Christmas present) and Grandma ordered an identical one for dd for her birthday.  Just received Office 2010 software (we were running on 2003!) and once I get everything together, I'm putting all dd's school material on Onenote!

Each class will have a separate notebook divided into weekly tabs.  The first tab will have her weekly assignments for that class organized with which books to read (if ebook, she can just click on it an read on her laptop), then any videos will be embedded on that page, along with any audio recordings.  Successive pages for that week will have "snapshots" of her questions from the readings or writing assignments.  I'll be ordering a drawing tablet (cheaper one) so she can write her answers directly onto the Onenote screen under the questions.  I'll use the lined paper Onenote template for those pages so she can keep her answers neat. 

I think I've found a way to incorporate Onenote notebooks for all of her classes with the exception of Latin.  Since we're just starting that this next year, I want her to do the workbook along with the DVD's that came with the program.  Otherwise, everything else (except the transparency maps we'll construct with TOG) will be on Onenote!

DD and I are so excited!  She's going to be able to work more independently (She'll have everything for the week on Onenote and have to decide how much or how little to do each day to get done by the end of the week) and I'll have more time to babysit an energetic toddler for my friend. This is going to breathe new life into our homeschool.

• Like 1