Menu

How did I just find out about this? Great planning software - One Note

One Note is part of my Office 2010 Suite. I haven't bothered to use it til now. How silly I was. Why is it so great? Let me count the ways:

1. It is an electronic binder idea - tabs, files, notes, etc. I am organizing my entire next school year on it.

2. You can link to documents right on your planning page. Example - you're teaching your kids how to write. In the first week, you link to the awesome "How to write a paragraph" file you found online. By week 6, you guess they will be onto papers, so you plop in the "How to write a paper," etc. Now, being a good homeschooler, you continue to search online and find 7 more files that will do the same thing but might be better. So, save them right on that page. Then you don't have to remember that you found it and where on earth you put it. Personally, my computer is full of great ideas I found and downloaded but forgot I had.

3. Link audio, video, picture files.

4. Tag supplies you will need for different projects you want to do through out the year. When the summer sales start, just click "Find Tags" and boom, all your supply lists will show up.

5. Tag books to read with the "Book To Read" tag. Before you head to the library, find those tags.

6. Need I go on? Oh wait. One more. When you fall way behind because __(Fill in the blank)___, you can still use all your great planning ideas. Just change the names on your pages from Week 3 to Week 8 or whatever. Not that I ever fall behind. Ever. ;)

I'm sure it can do way more. I've only scratched the surface. If you already use One Note and have other helpful ideas, please share. Hope someone else finds this as helpful as I do.

• Like 13

I am now planning for my 8th year of homeschooling. I have used OneNote since I began. It is awesome and I would be lost without it. I use it for planning everything other than my calendar. It has all of my research for the 8 years, as well as, every planning page for both kids. I also have favorite quotes, school purchases, college search info, notes on every individual course I have taught or future course research, dyslexia info, websites, book lists, blog lists, school-related articles, tea time ideas, writing ideas, legal info, transcript info, field trip planning, etc..

I also use it for all of my "home" organization, Christmas lists and ideas, landscape planning, recipe lists, personal library and DVD library, garden planning, trip planning, genealogy info, decorating info, etc.

Each year, I begin a new "year planner" which is a table with all of the courses I plan to teach. I list the week numbers (I learn my lesson and do not put actual dates on the year planner), then plan out my year. It always changes here and there, but at least I have a rough draft. Then I make a weekly template for the courses the particular child will take. Each Sunday afternoon, I plug in the work from the yearly planner into the weekly planner and do any tweaking I need to do. I also add volunteer times, sports practices and games, field trips, outside class work, medical/dental appointments, and family events. It allows me to see what I need to prepare for also. Then I have a beautiful page to print for the child to keep on their clipboards for the week. My daughter still uses this and loves checking off the boxes. My son decided to have a "paper planner" this year and hated it. He has asked me to show him the best way to use One Note for him to use on his own next year. Yeah!!!

It is an incredible tool. If I were ever asked for attendance or if there was ever a question regarding things that were taught, I have it all in OneNote.

My dh works for a very large computer related firm in management. He uses OneNote for everything and was the one who encouraged me to use it also. I LOVE my OneNote!

• Like 3

I forgot to mention on of the best thing! When I finish the "weekly page", I will go back into it and add notes at the bottom on anything additional the kids did that past week. I have linked or entered pictures of them working and/or of a special project they did, scanned copies of play bills we saw or they were in, attached Word documents of special papers, etc. Everything is attached to that particular week. It makes the page tidy and complete. I can feel confident that I will be able to find that item again and I can toss the paper copy. I makes filing easy-peasy.

Can you tell how much I love my OneNote?!

• Like 4

I just started One Note and so far I'm only using it to organize my science and history resources. I have two "notebooks" - one for science and one for history. Each one has tabs for the main topics we're going to cover - Explorers, Chemistry, etc. Then some topics have subtabs breaking it down more - Ex. Explorers has subtabs for Columbus, etc. Chemistry has subtabs for States of Matter and Periodic Table.

Each tabbed page has boxes - books I have at home, books I want to borrow from the library (some with links to them on my library webpage), files on my computer - including all those Scholastic ebooks I keep buying, with links to the actual file, On-line resources - with links to webpages or Pinterest. I also put in pictures of some projects.

• Like 1

I have been using One Note forever to organize everything! I mostly was using it to save links to homeschool related websites or free online curriculum. Then I discovered I could use it for lesson planning so I am thinking about trying to it for that this year. The newest version of One Note has a cloud function where you can view your files/links anywhere, but I have not decided if I need that function yet.

Here are a few links to blogs from homeschoolers using One Note:

http://desertramblings.wordpress.com/2010/09/21/how-technology-helps-me-homeschool-while-working-full-time/

http://www.funschooling.net/2010/01/one-note-workbox-tweak-1.html

Here are also some templates that Microsoft has for One Note:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/results.aspx?qu=onenote&av=zsc

• Like 6

I use OneNote for everything! Family vacations, projects, homeschooling, recipes... It's wonderful! I love that you can copy and paste from the internet!

About the only thing I don't use it for is housework (iPhone app) and knitting (Ravelry) ;)

It's taking me a little bit to get the hang of it, but I think this is going to be a winner. Here's a shot of the page I'm working on right now. It's for FLL1. I'm using the to do list function to create a list of one week's lessons at a time. To the right, I've attached the mp3 files of the lessons from the FLL CD as well as links to the paintings used for the picture narrations.

2yjzrt5.jpg

• Like 10

OneNote is the one thing that could MAKE me use XP on my Mac daily. I really really want to use it - i've heard about it for years, and now I have it on there.....

And from what I have read/seen - Evernote isn't a great replacement for it.

Enjoy your one-noteness people!!! :p

• Like 1

I was just thinking about this curious One Note application that keeps popping up on my screen and wondering what it was. Then I see this thread and am already in love. WILL CHECK THIS OUT! Thanks all for possibly the best advice ever! I need to organize!

• Like 2

I am now planning for my 8th year of homeschooling. I have used OneNote since I began. It is awesome and I would be lost without it. I use it for planning everything other than my calendar. It has all of my research for the 8 years, as well as, every planning page for both kids. I also have favorite quotes, school purchases, college search info, notes on every individual course I have taught or future course research, dyslexia info, websites, book lists, blog lists, school-related articles, tea time ideas, writing ideas, legal info, transcript info, field trip planning, etc..

I also use it for all of my "home" organization, Christmas lists and ideas, landscape planning, recipe lists, personal library and DVD library, garden planning, trip planning, genealogy info, decorating info, etc.

Each year, I begin a new "year planner" which is a table with all of the courses I plan to teach. I list the week numbers (I learn my lesson and do not put actual dates on the year planner), then plan out my year. It always changes here and there, but at least I have a rough draft. Then I make a weekly template for the courses the particular child will take. Each Sunday afternoon, I plug in the work from the yearly planner into the weekly planner and do any tweaking I need to do. I also add volunteer times, sports practices and games, field trips, outside class work, medical/dental appointments, and family events. It allows me to see what I need to prepare for also. Then I have a beautiful page to print for the child to keep on their clipboards for the week. My daughter still uses this and loves checking off the boxes. My son decided to have a "paper planner" this year and hated it. He has asked me to show him the best way to use One Note for him to use on his own next year. Yeah!!!

It is an incredible tool. If I were ever asked for attendance or if there was ever a question regarding things that were taught, I have it all in OneNote.

My dh works for a very large computer related firm in management. He uses OneNote for everything and was the one who encouraged me to use it also. I LOVE my OneNote!

OH I wanna see it!!!!!OH I wanna see it!!!! Pretty please with sugar on top.

I use Onenote for my own school - note taking and keeping stuff together but never for school planning (HST user here) can't get out of how to use for anything other note taking.

Would love to see a year and how you use it.

After reading this thread I discovered I have Onenote 2010 on my computer, but I've never used it! I used to use Evernote, but it became too complicated or I wasn't using it right. Then I switched to workflowy which I absolutely love! Such a simple concept and I use it everyday. But for things that workflowy isn't good for I think I'll try Onenote. Would love to hear more examples of how people use it in homeschool planning!

• Like 1

It's taking me a little bit to get the hang of it, but I think this is going to be a winner. Here's a shot of the page I'm working on right now. It's for FLL1. I'm using the to do list function to create a list of one week's lessons at a time. To the right, I've attached the mp3 files of the lessons from the FLL CD as well as links to the paintings used for the picture narrations.

2yjzrt5.jpg

Are those check boxes that can be checked off when you complete something?

I am so content right now. In this one week, I've found our perfect family organizer (Cozi) and our perfect homeschool planner. I'm going to savor the victories.

:cheers2: Thanks, OP!

I tried Cozi but felt like the cost wasn't justified since I already have a calendar on my iphone that syncs with DH's and I have an app for house cleaning that I love. Should I try it again?

Are those check boxes that can be checked off when you complete something?

Yes, indeed.

I tried Cozi but felt like the cost wasn't justified since I already have a calendar on my iphone that syncs with DH's and I have an app for house cleaning that I love. Should I try it again?

The regular app is free (although I did upgrade to gold and paid for that). I started doing FlyLady and they partner with Cozi and have a shared calendar. I really like that Cozi has a desktop interface so I can enter things easily and sync up with my Fire and my husband's phone. The meal planning feature is working wonderfully and I like the shopping list and to do list, too.

It's really working for us!

I've done more lesson planning today on OneNote and I am increasingly impressed. Right now, I'm working on history. Our curriculum is multi-level, so I'm breaking out the lessons that I'll be using this year. I was able to create a main page with lists and links of all our resources, tag them by type (book, ebook, audiobook, coloring book, movies, etc.), and arrange them easily. I have a subpage with all the timeline figures we will need this year. Finally, I have the page of lessons themselves.

I was playing around with an art page and I think that will be one of my favorites. I can link to videos of techniques, artist bios, and galleries. Science will be similar, I'm sure.

:001_wub:

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing this. I've been working out how to go about doing more planning in Evernote and this layout looks like something that I could easily do as well. Evernote doesn't have the fancy tabs, but it has many similar features too.

This tread has really got me looking deeper into how people use it for planning and I'm really impressed with what I'm finding. Think I need to just jump in and get going with it and see what I can do. Your example is extra motivation to do so.

• Like 2

Wow, you all are tech geniuses! I still only scribble plans on a paper calendar! I have never gotten the hang of planning things online.

I only have a 2007 version of Word that we haven't installed yet on this new computer. Does anyone know if Word 2007 contains this? We don't have smart phones either.

ETA: Just saw the above comment. 2007 isn't as good. Boo.

• Like 2

Wow! I have it too. I wonder what other fabulous goodies are on my computer that I am unaware of. I really should explore everything in this machine.

Ok, I will be busy for awhile. Any tips on getting started would be appreciated.

I was just talking to me eldest about having him become more independent with his lesson schedule. He loves the idea. I was going to let him pick out a student planner from Staples, but if One Note can be linked to another computer.....wow. I was also just telling dh that I need to start some sort of planner. I'm an open and go gal and haven't really planned things. We just do the next thing. However, I have notes, bookmarks, links, articles, etc all over the place. Also, I need a better way to keep track of what each kid needs to work on and how.

OH I wanna see it!!!!!OH I wanna see it!!!! Pretty please with sugar on top.

I use Onenote for my own school - note taking and keeping stuff together but never for school planning (HST user here) can't get out of how to use for anything other note taking.

Would love to see a year and how you use it.

Mtnteaching...would you mind sharing a couple of pages? I have a new computer and it has Onenote but I am the worst when it comes to tech things, but I'd love to use it for lesson plans.

I would love to see too!

Hi All,

I was out of pocket this weekend with family in town and did not check the forum. I will try and figure out how to do some screen shots. I have not tried to put any pics into the new forum format yet either. I may have to try to figure this out tomorrow since I have an early morning playing taxi driver to my extremely (unsocialized - yeah right) children who have a full schedule.

I will get a copy of a few pages. A sample of my dd's weekly schedule and some other pages I have. My yearly schedule is extremely basic, but I will be happy to share a screen shot of some of that as well.

I may need to get "Michelle" to help me with how she got her screen shot into here. :D

• Like 1

Wow! I have it too. I wonder what other fabulous goodies are on my computer that I am unaware of. I really should explore everything in this machine.

Ok, I will be busy for awhile. Any tips on getting started would be appreciated.

I was just talking to me eldest about having him become more independent with his lesson schedule. He loves the idea. I was going to let him pick out a student planner from Staples, but if One Note can be linked to another computer.....wow. I was also just telling dh that I need to start some sort of planner. I'm an open and go gal and haven't really planned things. We just do the next thing. However, I have notes, bookmarks, links, articles, etc all over the place. Also, I need a better way to keep track of what each kid needs to work on and how.

Getting Started tips from a newb (who is hoping others will give you better info):

The hardest part for me was determining how to organize my pages and tabs. I did a lot of trial and error. Look at samples first and then decide what will work for you.

Keep it simple and start small- I have a page for my kids' science fair planning. The tab is Science Fair. Then I have a page that is for ideas and a page for judging/parental involvement. I'm mainly using it as a spot to just link and copy all the good info that I've come across (much of it from these boards.) This was low stress for me 'cause it's just 1 project/subject to plan.

Use the tags (said in my best Star Wars voice) - they are your friends

I may need to get "Michelle" to help me with how she got her screen shot into here. :D

These steps work for me because I have Picasa downloaded on my computer. YMMV!

1. Open Picasa.

2. Arrange your windows on the desktop to take your screenshot.

3. Simultaneously press CTRL and PRINT SCREEN. My print screen button is on the top right side of my keyboard, above my numeric pad.

4. A little pop-up window from Picasa will unfurl on the bottom right of your screen that says "screenshot saved. Click here to view." Do that.

5. Make any crops you want to the shot in Picasa, then save the shot to your computer.

6. Go to www.tinypic.com

7. Upload the file.

8. Copy the message board html code and paste it to the reply box here.

(I suppose you could skip 6-8 and just attach the file to your post, but the file size is iffy.)

• Like 1

I was just thinking about this curious One Note application that keeps popping up on my screen and wondering what it was. Then I see this thread and am already in love. WILL CHECK THIS OUT! Thanks all for possibly the best advice ever! I need to organize!

Me, too!

The hardest part for me was determining how to organize my pages and tabs. I did a lot of trial and error. Look at samples first and then decide what will work for you.

Same here, but I couldn't do the samples because they were making me lose my focus. :D

I'm opting to have one notebook for first grade homeschooling with separate tabs for each subject. I basically imagined what I would do if I had a giant three-ring homeschooling binder in real life and proceeded from there. My vision is to have one notebook for each school year that contains all of the materials for that grade and that can be reused each year as the next kids age up.

I'm pondering whether or not to create separate portfolio-type notebooks that contain my son's schoolwork. I'm thinking it would be very easy to scan in samples, attach pictures, copy over book lists, etc. With the cloud function or with Dropbox, I wouldn't have to worry about losing all of the work if my computer crashes. I also won't have files upon files of work around the house.

Ohhhhhhhh, now that I think of it, I am definitely going to take the TWTM notebook plan and put that on OneNote! That will work out perfectly.

I have OneNote 2007, and seeing it mentioned that it isn't as good has made me check out the 2013 version. I can't use it, since I don't plan to upgrade my Windows, but it looks great. 2007 works just fine though, and yeah, maybe it's more of a pain to get my notebook on both my desktop and netbook, maybe it doesn't have the touchscreen capability, but it serves its' purpose and I can live with those limitations, and I would still recommend it over EverNote (tried it, didn't particularly like it). It never occurred to me that there was an upgrade by now.

My 2 computers aren't linked at all, so I often e-mail myself links and notes that I want to add to my OneNote. Since this thread, I've been revamping my notebook, but I have 1 tab per subject and 1 for WTM (what it suggests for reading, etc.) so I don't have to dig out my book every time. I'm not sure what I'll do for subjects that the boys do separately. I also have a tab for notebooking-type pages that I make up for the kids to use.

I'm not sure what the 2010 is like, but I like the excel tables in 2013.

I've been following this thread and fooling around a bit with the onenote program on my computer (that I didn't even know I had!). Now I'm wondering if there is a good way to share any lesson plans we may make using onenote with the homeschool community. No need to reinvent the wheel if it's already done- especially for popular programs. Any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, my brand new 64-bit windows computer does not have the "print to OneNote" option available. I have looked for ways to fix this and it seems it is just not allowed on the 64-bits. Is there any other way to add pages and docs to OneNote since print to OneNote isn't an option?

... I would still recommend it over EverNote (tried it, didn't particularly like it). It never occurred to me that there was an upgrade by now.

... And from what I have read/seen - Evernote isn't a great replacement for it.

What are the advantages of OneNote compared to Evernote? I only know a little bit about Evernote and nothing about OneNote.

Thanks,

Unfortunately, my brand new 64-bit windows computer does not have the "print to OneNote" option available. I have looked for ways to fix this and it seems it is just not allowed on the 64-bits. Is there any other way to add pages and docs to OneNote since print to OneNote isn't an option?

I attach files from my computer to the corresponding page in one note. I did discover that I had option to to open the files in one note. I am not sureif this helps or not.

I always forget about OneNote! It kind of reminds me of Franklin Covey software I used to use for everything, including planning the school year out. I guess I know what I'll be playing with today. :001_smile:

ETA: I just remembered I have a OneNote app on my phone and ipod. I wonder how it works on the ipad... If I do a checklist like in the earlier post, am I able to check off items from my phone or ipad? I'm going to have to test that out.

Some other things that are cool:

• You can link to a file, a page, a tab within a page.
  • You can place a PDF directly into a page for backup.
  • You can copy and paste all of your favorite WTM posts for future reference :) - plus it automatically puts the link below so you never lose it.
  • You can highlight and copy and paste what you see on the web and place it into Side Note to be filed later.

Wanted to point out, you can do all these pretty easily in Evernote, too. On the last one, Evernote will actually guess what notebook to file a page in and add relevant tags. I use it a lot and it is pretty darn good at guessing. You can also now clip PDFs off the web without downloading them first.

Does One Note do spreadsheets? I love that I can access Evernote on my phone, but the lack of a spreadsheet option is annoying.

I'm guessing this is a yes and no answer. One Note comes with microsoft Office which has Excel. So it does not do spreadsheets on its own, but since it would come with office you can probably use spread sheets with it.

Thank you for sharing this. I've been working out how to go about doing more planning in Evernote and this layout looks like something that I could easily do as well. Evernote doesn't have the fancy tabs, but it has many similar features too.

This tread has really got me looking deeper into how people use it for planning and I'm really impressed with what I'm finding. Think I need to just jump in and get going with it and see what I can do. Your example is extra motivation to do so.

I use Evernote for most of my planning. If you like the tabs, I'd just go with notebooks and stacks. I tend to be a minimalist on notebooks with only a dozen or so. All my home school stuff goes in one large notebook with lots of tags.

Evernote is pretty open about letting other developers use their code to create add ons. One of the interesting ones is this: https://ifttt.com/wtf Basically you can have iffft put things into Evernote as they occur (so blogs, tweets, etc.).

I do know you can email ONenote around. we do with our study groups. Or you can share it online with the Skydrive. Under the file menu, it has send or share. Send works best for our group because not everyone had Skydrive set up. Usually if you send it as an email attachment, it will allow the person to open it up in Onenote

I know! I love it!

In OneNote, I'm able to sync ds's laptop with my computer. When he marks something off it shows up on mine and vice-versa. I like it because I make tables and check boxes. I wish it had all the features Word has, but it's good enough for me.

To see some of my checklists, I have them saved here and I made a timeline.

I also use it as a rolodex for phones, addresses, user ids and passwords. I have a password set for my password tab. I keep all of my curriculum plans with links and price. I rely on OneNote for just about everything. Right now I'm working on high school plans and making tables for each subject.

I also keep a media list folder by subject so I can easily reference what I have used and file things I come across for the future.

Oh my Gosh that timeline is beautiful. How did you make it? I want to do that this coming year. We always fail on timelines because nobody likes to fool with the print books.

It looks like you made a tab for each time period and then a page for each time period of the timeline. How did you set up each page though? And did you just find images online??

2yjzrt5.jpg

OH MY! I do like that. How did you get the check boxes again? I could set up our Harmony Fine arts stuff like that and have everything right there to use.

Does anyone know how to make it figure stuff like grades? I've used HST for year and years and If ONenote could do grades and calculate attendance, I might would just jump ship!!!!!

• Like 1

The check boxes are under tags, so all you do is type your line then select the "to do" tag and it adds the box. The box is checkable, so you just click it to get the nice red check mark. :)

I've realized that I like this so much because it allows me to do everything I want from Word without the frustrations. It combines the never-ending page of Excel with a much easier to use Word.

OneNote is the one thing that could MAKE me use XP on my Mac daily. I really really want to use it - i've heard about it for years, and now I have it on there.....

And from what I have read/seen - Evernote isn't a great replacement for it.

Enjoy your one-noteness people!!! :p

Try a program called Growly Notes for the Mac. It's free and very similar to OneNote.

• Like 1