Menu

Dyslexia - Barton, Wilson, or AAR?

mommy5

Personally I would not do AAR with a slightly older child, it is meant for a younger child.

Between Barton and Wilson -- I think they are both good programs. Barton has a reputation for being easier for a parent to learn to use.

I don't think any are a bad choice. If he would like AAR and hasn't already struggled a lot -- it might be good. If he hasn't had an opportunity to use a program like it, maybe it would be "enough." If he has already struggled with solid materials, Barton or Wilson would be "more."

Also doing some reading on PG programs like ABeCeDarian...need to figure which direction to head. Prior to his diagnosis this is what we have tried: 100EZ Lessons (some progress but over all was very difficult for him and frustrating), ETC ... he hated it...then we found PAL-R and it was a success ... he finally was able to make sense of reading. (That program is what we used all last year) He can now read some books fairly well but still struggles in some areas.

For the last 4 months he has received O-G- tutoring (the tutor has taught him a lot of rules - I'm just not sure he is able to implement them or access them while he is reading/writing all the time).

We used several programs for our struggling son. None you have mentioned (although we use the AAR readers along with AAS which my son loves).

For reading we used

*picture me reading (to help with sight words)

*Recipe for reading (O-G based)

*LiPS

We had to stop EVERYTHING and back up for LiPS because it turns out that the way our son was processing sounds was holding back his reading. Once he really "got it" we moved back to recipe for reading. It has taken us a few years to get through the above.

With those things, he has gotten to the point of being ready for Rewards which is what he will be doing next. I would guess he's at about a 4th grade decoding level; however, reading is still very cumbersome for him so we are working REALLY hard on speed and fluency before starting Rewards!

I used Abecedarian Level B, but honestly I would recommend Barton. I have Barton Level 1 and the DVDs are really helpful.

However my son was 6 when I was making that decision. To catch up as quickly as possible for an 8-year-old I think I would pick Barton. It starts multi syllable words earlier. I liked Abecedarian a lot, but I was looking to get my son to 1st-2nd grade level and then hang out. If he was 8 I would want to get him up faster.

Barton has a weird sequence bc of that goal. They don't do all one-syllable words first. But I think that is good for an older child.

Not sure though. Kind-of my impression.

Edit: I agree with pp... My son did not do Lips but did a similar program in speech therapy. If the Barton pre-screening does not go well, a foundational program is really good. My son was in speech therapy anyway though (for articulation).

I am trying to find a program for my kids and all of this information is overwhelming me!

Dyslexia does run in both sides of the family - but the school INSISTS that the kids do NOT have dyslexia.

My kids are finishing 3rd and 4th grade - and tested at a mid 2nd and 3rd grade level (they were just recently tested by the school).

The school wants to retain the youngest back a grade because of her reading level (even though they both are equally behind).

The kids also are being denied Social Studies and Science every year until their reading level is caught up.

There has been NO explanation as to WHY their reading level is still so far behind - except that it is due to me not sending them to public school for 1st grade. But I used Explode The Code (books and online) and Hooked On Phonics - with little success. Which is why I decided to send them to public school. I figured I just had no clue what I was doing with teaching reading. They tested on par with their grade level when they entered public school. Three years later - they are now a year and a half behind. That can NOT be because I homeschooled them in kindergarten / first grade. The youngest (my daughter) attended public school for first grade - and she is the one they want to retain.

So I have decided to take them out of public school and figure out what is going on - and fix it. But I have NO idea of where to even start! I have JUST bought the book "Uncovering The Logic Of English: A Common Sense Approach To Reading, Spelling, and Literacy" By Denise Eide It hasnt arrived yet, but I am hoping it can give me some insight. I have looked into Barton and All About Reading/Spelling.

My daughter is more willing to try anything. My son acts like he knows it all and doesnt need any help. It will be harder to teach him if I use something that seems too "kiddish". I went over a Barton Lesson that I saw on her videos (syllables) and he seemed okay with that. It was new information to him and all my kids (even my 17yr old) enjoyed learning the "rules" - none of us knew them. There are some excellent reading decoding skills presented in her videos. But I wonder if there is a cheaper way of accessing them. $3,000 is A LOT to spend!!!

Chasingbutterflies (what a fun, loong user name to type in), google the term Scottish Rite Learning Centers and discover if there is one near you. If so, call them directly and discover whether they provide free or reduced cost dyslexia screenings. You need a disinterested party, outside of the public school system, to help discover what exactly is happening with your children.

In the meantime, read the book Overcoming Dyslexia by Shaywitz. Maybe see if you can get a used copy of the Writing Road to Reading, 4th edition. The author of WRTR was mentored by Orton. Blessings, h

My son attends public school also. They were finding a way for it to be my fault (and not their's) at the end of Kindergarten.

They are not set up to teach my son to read. That is the sad truth.

I think if Barton seems appropriate, maybe you could re-sell levels. That is what people say they do a lot. You don't need all the levels at the same time and can buy and sell as you go.

I used ABeCeDarian (accelerated versions) for my ds when he was 8-9. He was reading at a barely 1st grade level when we started. When we finished A and B levels (we did this within one year) he was reading at 3rd grade level. At that point he did REWARDS.

I did not know about Barton then.