Menu

DD with Fulbright to Germany might need high school diploma for visa

Hi folks, I don't know if you remember me. I used to be around on the old format.

My dd22 has graduated from New College in Florida (last Friday - hurrah). She has a Fulbright Fellowship to study in Germany for 2013/2014. She has been accepted by Heidelberg University.

She has received a list of documents that Fulbright advises the students to collect before applying for student visas. They mention getting a copy of her High School diploma. We homeschooled independently and do not have an umbrella diploma, we did not need one for any of her college applications.

Should I just create a letter explaining that we homeschooled and attaching her transcripts? Should I make a school name, design and print a diploma and attach her transcripts?

Anyone been there done that for a student visa? Does anyone have experience with Germany?

I personally would go with the "create your own diploma" option. It is a perfectly legal approach and would giving them the document they expect would be a million times easier than explaining your special circumstances. I try not to rock the boat when it comes to government bureaucracy (at least that type).

If you legally homeschool and by your state law are allowed to issue your high school student a high school diploma, I would do that: print a nice diploma.

I would most definitely NOT attempt to explain to a German bureaucrat why this document is absent, even if you have good arguments (Germans are notorious for following the rules to the letter, however idiotic those may be.). Somebody needs to check a box, and a diploma from your homeschool might do the trick. Give the school a name, make it look fancy, and send it in. Your student HAS graduated from a legal high school.

Please keep in mind that homeschooling is not legal in Germany and that whoever processes the visa has no idea about homeschooling and does not know a single person who does such a thing, so any attempt of an explanation would create more confusion.

ETA: Sine she is American, I would not expect too much detailed scrutiny of her visa application. German authorities are not too worried about American students entering the country. But she should make sure every single piece of paper is there in some form.

… Give the school a name, …

As always, Regentrude has great advice. If I were doing this, I would make my school name as "normal" sounding (for the US) as possible, and NOT use your name or the word "Homeschool" as part of the name. Best wishes and congratulations to your daughter! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Congratulations! We just created diplomas for our guys. They only needed them for scholarship apps and a couple of colleges that required them (not a Fulbright), but no one ever brought it up. I really do think they just have to check a box. It's legal (as long as it's legal in your state to homeschool independently).

No suggestions. Just wanted to wave at you, Denise, and tell you that of course I remember you!

Your situation is EXACTLY what has made me nervous about homeschooling. Ug. Not nervous enough to get a cover school, but definately nervous. I could definately envision there being international situations in which our children needed a high school diploma. That is part of why I have gave our school a name. Since they were little, my children have been using the name when they didn't want to explain homeschooling but it gets a bit scary when one is using it before immigration officials (which I think we might have done before, but much more casually). Ug ug ug. Not exactly happy to have that confirmed lol. Off to make a separate post asking how to get an offiial, non-home-made looking diploma. I could make a lovely hand-written one myself but somehow a printed one looks more appealing at the moment. All three of my children (and my extras) are exploring the world. Hmm... This reminds me that I should make sure I can lay hands on oldest's public school diploma, too. I know we put it somewhere safe. Hopefully it wasn't too safe for me to find it.

Denise, it is great to hear about your daughter. Congratulations to her! I hope the visa process goes smoothly and she has a great experience in Germany.

Nan

Congratulations to your daughter, Denise!

My state required us to name our homeschool. Technically we were considered a non-public school.

No one has heard of our school, but few have heard of my town! I can't imagine anyone in Germany questioning this.

Congrats to your DD!

Keep in mind that you would be submitting a photocopy of the diploma not the original. So I don't think there is really a lot of purpose in paying for a really fancy printed diploma because once it is photocopied it will look the same as what you print on your home computer. Assuming you followed the laws of your state, there is nothing unethical about creating a diploma. She graduated and you are just giving her official proof of that.