Menu

International travel--can you help me with these questions?

Chris in VA

I'm feeling nervous and rather stupid, frankly.

So--

1. We (dd and I) are flying thru Paris to get to Tel Aviv. Will they guide us to our connection/gate in some way? I'm really, really nervous about finding the gate. Can I ask in English? Are there signs in English? I'm worried we will have to find a shuttle or something...yikes!

2. How do you "do" customs? I have nothing to declare, according to my husband. I don't really know what that means, but ok. So, when we arrive in Tel Aviv, are we "herded" toward the right place? I'm so nervous about making a mistake, I could cry.

3. We are taking a carry-on each and a bigger bag. I would like to take some things to make our stay in Israel a little easier. Can we pack food in our checked baggage? (Nutella and pnut butter) I'm thinking it's probably not allowed to take food into another country, but IDK.

My anxiety is way out of hand. I can fake calm around dd, but honestly, I'm on the edge.

It's not normal, it's just GAD. I don't want to take anything, because I want to be fully alert for dd.

Thanks for your kind replies.

Remember - there are no stupid questions!

1. We (dd and I) are flying thru Paris to get to Tel Aviv. Will they guide us to our connection/gate in some way? I'm really, really nervous about finding the gate. Can I ask in English? Are there signs in English? I'm worried we will have to find a shuttle or something...yikes!

No, they will not guide you to the connection gate. In Paris, the signs should be in both French and English and probably many other languages.

Most airlines have some type of magazine in the pockets on the back of the seats and these have maps of the various airports in them. Usually, the flight attendants announce connecting gates as you are getting ready to land, so you would be able to find the gate on the map. You can take the magazine with you, they are free.

Also, you will have to stay on their international concourse so that you will not go through customs. The airports are really good about marking this so that you don't get lost. There will be one direction for those who have France as their final destination and another for those who are making connecting flights.

2. How do you "do" customs? I have nothing to declare, according to my husband. I don't really know what that means, but ok. So, when we arrive in Tel Aviv, are we "herded" toward the right place? I'm so nervous about making a mistake, I could cry.

It's pretty easy. Some airports have lines for people who need to declare items and then lines for those who don't need to declare items. Other airports have just one line. Countries in the European Union will have a line for EU passports. There will be well marked stations in many languages (including English). Have your passports out and ready to be stamped. You will likely be asked where you are going (state the destination) and why you are there (tourist, business trip, visit family, etc.) and how long you will stay. Your children may be asked their names and may be directly asked if you are their mother. You may be asked if you have been on a farm within a certain period of time (you will definitely be asked this when you re-enter the US) and some countries ask to see your return plane tickets.

Once you clear customs, you will go to baggage claim and retrieve your luggage then go on to your transportation arrangements. Again, they will have signs in English as well as other languages. Keep in mind English may be fairly far down on the list, so you will have to look. There will also be a little suitcase icon on signs that point you toward luggage claim.

3. We are taking a carry-on each and a bigger bag. I would like to take some things to make our stay in Israel a little easier. Can we pack food in our checked baggage? (Nutella and pnut butter) I'm thinking it's probably not allowed to take food into another country, but IDK.

You'll have to check with the country you are traveling into. Many allow sealed, prepackaged food.

My anxiety is way out of hand. I can fake calm around dd, but honestly, I'm on the edge.

It's not normal, it's just GAD. I don't want to take anything, because I want to be fully alert for dd.

Thanks for your kind replies.

I can understand this - international travel is stressful for me, too. Being calm is important though - especially as you go through customs. Don't hesitate to ask questions, though. Find an airline employee or even ask your flight attendant questions before you land. They know the airports really well and go through customs regularly, so they will know specifics to the country you are flying into.

I hope you have a great trip.

1. Are you ticketed on the same airline for both flight segments (USA-Paris, Paris-Tel Aviv)?

Actually, wait, this may help you more. Aeroports de Paris website, and you can find the English version by clicking the British flag along the top bar.

From there you can find terminal maps, any shuttle information, etc. All subject to change, of course, but it'll give you some familiarity. You might want to print and carry just for peace of mind, but there are always maps in the back of the inflight magazine also. Well, I only fly one airline but I'd imagine all airlines have those maps. It only gets tricky if you have to change airlines; otherwise, it's like finding another gate in any US terminal. Gates should be clear to English-speakers. I speak French but I imagine you'd do fine to ask for directions in English - the flight crew may be able to answer questions inflight, but the agents working the gate at your inbound gate should have some English speaking capablity (if between them) because they're likely turning the plane right around to whichever US-airport you've just left - and it'll have English speakers on it. IME there's usually a language-designated representative for these kinds of flights, especially for flyers like you :) you should be fine, but you'd do well to prepare yourself ahead of time using the website above, too.

2. You fill out a form, and stand in the customs line. Just follow the crowd and you'll be okay. The agents will do all of the work, you just shuffle along amongst the herd of travelers (really). Fill out your form inflight if you can, and ask other passengers or the crew for help if you need it. If you wait until you're on the ground, you'll still easily find the customs (can't avoid it LOL) but it may make you more anxious to separate from the herd. Check your airline website or the tourism board website for Israel - some places have these forms online, you can print and/or at least see what you'll be filling out.

3. I've always checked food, but I've never been to Tel Aviv so I'm not sure if they have different rules. I'd probably be sure to only back factory-sealed products. I'm sure your airline website will have helpful information, or your arrival airport's website.

Hundreds of thousands of people do this same type of unfamiliar journey every day. You're not going to be alone, I promise! You may run into a few passengers and airline employees who get annoyed with "new" passengers who don't know what they're doing, so be prepared, but they're in the minority. Most people you run into will be happy to help. Check that, most other travelers and some airline employees will be happy to help LOL. I think airline employees forget what it's like to be completely foreign to travel rules, etc. and that's sometimes reflected in their approach to assisting passengers in need ;)

Prepare yourself ahead of time using airline, airport, and tourism board websites - just to give you some familiarity. You'll surprise yourself how well you do, especially with this preparation.

And enjoy Tel Aviv!

Some countries will not allow you to bring in fruit, and/or vegetables, and/or meat. I've had to surrender apples and oranges before. It's to prevent you inadvertently bringing in diseases or pests that will affect their agriculture. Sometimes having these items means you have to go in a separate customs screening (the "agricultural" line). You can look it up for the countries you are visiting. Just plan to eat your fruit etc. on the plane or be willing to lose it. It usually doesn't apply to things like pre-packaged applesauce.

You can buy peanut butter in those little individual-serving tubs, which is handy. There's also a company that makes a Nutella-like hazlenut spread that comes in individual packets. Remember to plan your food in accordance with the 3-1-1 liquids rules.

Customs is usually a routine paperwork/passport check, with a few questions, often framed as friendly conversation about your trip. Be nice, answer their questions, and you should be fine. Let your dh do most of the talking if you wish.

Ask as many questions as you need to - the more you learn about the details, the less anxious you will be.

Hubby and I went to Charles De Gaulle Airport (Paris) and it was easy. No customs to declare typically, signs everywhere and airport people do speak english. Just ask for help to get to the correct gate, plenty of people ask because we are just "lazy" so its the norm.

If you are getting on a connecting flight from the same airline, chances are high airline staff will be at the end of the gangway of the landed plane to "herd" people to the connecting flights.

We have to take off our shoes for the security customs at Paris. Shoes and belts would beep the metal detectors which is why they are taken off.

Relax and you will find the answers to your questions. I am certain you will have a wonderful trip. Do not be nervous.

Your checked luggage should be checked thru to your final destination, Tel Aviv (TLV should be on your claim stubs).

Hopefully, you will continue on the same airline, from Paris to Tel Aviv. If so, that will be much easier.

I don't think you need to bring food to Israel...

Check with your airline to see what is permitted, in carry on luggage and in checked luggage.

Israel has the most stringent airline security in the world. You will probably be asked a lot of questions when you arrive in Israel and when you depart Israel. Stay relaxed and friendly and answer all of the questions honestly. You will have no problems if you do that.

Before you arrive in Paris, if you are connecting to the same airline, the Flight Attendants will probably announce on the P.A. system, which flights leave from which gate. Or, it will be on a video monitor. If not, after you deplane in Paris, look on the video monitors, to see which gate your connecting flight leaves from.

Ask for help if you need it, whether in Paris, Tel Aviv or any other airport.

Bon Voyage and Shalom.

Don't worry about the airport in Paris. I was just there in April. They have those great big boards that list the airline, flight number, destination city, and departure gate, just like in U.S. airports. A25 looks the same in both English and French. ;-)

If you have a question, it will be easy to find someone who speaks English.

Enjoy your trip!

In my experience it can be hard to process all the information given to you during the in-flight announcements, esp if the flight is long and you are tired. Ask the steward - don't be embarrassed, its their job to help. Look up the quarantine regulations in Israel to find out if you can bring in food, or ask your travel agent or airline. If in doubt, don't. It's just another stressor and something else to declare on arrival (I'm Australian so I may be extra paranoid about this).

You and your daughter will need to know where you are staying and your date of departure. "I think we are staying at a hotel in x" or "at my friend Julie's" are not acceptable answers. You need to know the address (voice of experience here). Expect that you will be a bit disorientated, so write the info down and put it with your passport.

Stick a change of clothes in your carry-on luggage. If you and your check-in luggage part company you can at least have a shower and change your clothes at the other end while you wait for your other stuff to turn up. Don't cram too much carp in your carry-on luggage, though. The rest of the world has much smaller carry-on expectations than the US.

Make sure you keep your boarding pass when you get off the plane and take all your stuff, even if you are getting back on the same plane.

I think that covers all of my international travel stuff-ups.......

Enjoy your trip

D

I think CdG is one of the easier airports to get through. Since my flight originated in the US, I had to go through immigration (got my passport stamped), get my luggage and go through customs (I had nothing to declare, so I went through the "nothing" line), turned my luggage back over and went to my gate. It wasn't difficult at all. CdG is a big airport, but it's fairly simple to find your way around. The signs were in several languages, as they are at almost all int'l airports, and there are information stations where you can get help it you need it.

Thanks, all.

I do feel a little silly being so anxious. I really wish dh were traveling with us, but he is already in France and then going on to Switzerland for a bit, and then to Israel a few days before us. At least he'll meet us at the airport.

We are on Air France the whole way, with a 1.5hr stop in Paris. That should make it easier, I know.

Thanks for the idea to stick the address of our final destination in my passport--that's helpful.

It's just weird to travel where I've never been, for such a long time (long to me, anyway). I'm going to leave the pb and nutella home--Ds will appreciate it when he comes home from college this summer! lol Dd just wanted something familiar. Who knows, maybe they sell it there--we had heard they didn't. It's such a small thing, and we are willing to jump in to the culture, iykwim, but she's already going to be missing her friends, pets, routine...so we thought it might help, in a sort of symbolic way. Ok, now that really sounds silly! lol

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Relax.

Most airline personnel speak English so you should be able to get someone to help you.

Going from the us, you can pack foods that are pre packaged. Most customs have issues with foods that are not prepackaged like fruit, meats etc. so Nutella, peanut butter etc are fine. But you need to pack those in your big check inn bag not your carry on. Most airline will only allow items that are 100ml or less on you

If you use cosmetics, pack it all in a plastic ziplock bag in your handbag or purse. Some airports check, some don't but it is better to be prepared.

Before boarding, when you go through security, have your passports and your boarding pass ready, they will check it and then you go through the scanner, they might pull you aside and do a more thorough check but it is usually random.

After boarding, the air hostess will let you know if you need to fill a custom declaration form. They will give it to all passengers. After disembarking, you will have screens with your connecting flight number and airline online and the boarding gate. You should go to the gate immediately and sit in the vicinity. At some airports, they might do a security check again before you board. Amsterdam does it but I don't know of Paris.

Don't feel stupid. Even though I've traveled internationally a lot, I still get anxious about the flights. I can handle everything else, but the flights themselves stress me out.

And then it's always fine. I wish I could convince myself. :)

The first time I had nutella was in Israel almost 20 years ago.

Have a wonderful time!

Chris, just be prepared for a totally different experience with airport security in Israel. They have a totally different focus than us (find the terrorist and stop them instead of find the bomb,gun, etc); It involves questions at a few different steps and making sure you are who you claim to be. Look up Israeli Airport Screening to see how it works. I have never been there but have read accounts of how they do it.

You've gotten good answers, especially the tip about knowing the address/length of stay while in Israel--I was going to post about that.

One thing I thought I'd mention, is that an 1.5 hour layover is really not very long, especially with possible delays in landing, getting off the first plane, and finding your way to the second. So, my advice is to get to the new gate as quickly as you reasonably can, and then, if you have time, look around for restrooms, a place to pick up some nutella, or window-shop; don't do those things on the way.....

Have fun!

You should be able to find Nutella (or a similar product) in Israel. Peanut butter will be more difficult, so go ahead and bring that in your checked bag. It shouldn't be a problem and the worst that could happen is that they inspect your bags (unlikely) and take it away (also unlikely). No big deal.

I haven't been through CDG in years, but virtually all international airports have signs in English and like a PP said, A25 looks the same in French and English. You shouldn't have to retrieve your bags and recheck them in France. Just make sure when you check-in in the US that they check your bags all the way through to Tel Aviv. Check the luggage tags as they put them on. You can do this without being obvious by just being aware of what they're doing and watching.

Be prepared to go through security more times than you think reasonable (getting off the plane, heading towards your next plane, etc.). Be prepared for friendly people asking probing questions. That's security in Europe. Read up on what it looks like in Israel. I've heard it's different there.

When I get nervous or anxious, I research. Forewarned is forearmed and knowledge is power. Google "what is security like in Tel Aviv airport" and go from there.

Other people have said it already, but I'll add my voice - going through security checks in Israel is intimidating. You may well feel like they are trying to 'trick' you. If my experience is standard, you may be questioned, your interviewer may confer with someone else, and the second person might ask you more questions, slipping in a few 'mistakes' (eg, you said you're going to TA, now they say 'And you're heading straight to Haifa?'). It's unsettling, but it's happening to everyone, they haven't singled you out, so don't panic.

Here's a link to an Israeli comedy skit on Israeli passport control which alwaya makes me smile:

ETA: I find it funny as a comment on bureaucracy, I read no politics into it...

So--

This can be intimidating, especially the first time in an airport after a long flight, but the good news is that European airports have much better signage than American ones. If both flights are on Air France, you probably won't need to leave terminal 2 in Paris, which is big, but pretty easy to get around in. I find that research makes it better. I might even put dd "in charge" of finding the right gate and where to go, and turn it into a bit of a learning opportunity. You can print out a map of the airport terminal, and figure out online, if you were flying today, what gates you would arrive at and leave from. I believe the Parisian airports have a "transfer desk", which is manned with people to help you find which gates you need to go to. Often the flight attendants can't help you, but there is often a person at the airport as soon as you get off the jetway to help point you in the right direction.

Good luck, and have fun!

I think it's probably good that you decided to leave the food at home. It just adds extra complication that you don't have to deal with if you're already stressed. If your daughter really wants the peanut butter, I think it's pretty unlikely to cause any issue. I don't know what customs is like in Tel Aviv, but some places you have to go through a special line if you're bringing in food, so it really just may be easier to do without it.

CDG is not my favorite airport, but since you're staying on the same airline and will only be in the international terminal, it will likely be quite simple. You have plenty of time between flights, so just take it slow any enjoy seeing something new.

Have a wonderful trip!