Menu

Frustrated with Ipod---looking at competitors

Staceyshoe

I have an Ipod Touch 1G. I've enjoyed having it; however, Apple is continuing to discontinue bits of software. Even when I don't upgrade my apps, my ipod does less and less because the operating system is maxed out. I can no longer use my favorite apps, including an internet browser. Soon I think it will become an mp3 player only. :(

My technical knowledge is limited, and I'd like to find something simple that I can use for years and years. I have no need or interest inconstantly having the latest and greatest technological gadget. Because of my dissatisfaction with Apple, I am looking at their competitors (unless the entire industry intentionally makes their products obselete?) What would you recommend for someone like me?

I'm saying this gently, and I hope that comes across. I think your expectations are unreasonable. The 1G Ipod Touch came out in 2007 - six years is huge in terms of technology. I do feel your pain, as I have an Ipod 3G (the last one before they had cameras) and I can see that mine will also be mostly obsolete within a couple of IOS updates. There are already newer apps that I can't run. However, I don't think you're going to find the situation to be different with other companies' devices. It isn't that the companies intentionally make their older products obsolete, but that the technology is changing rapidly and that most consumers do want the newer features. I'm sorry you're so frustrated. I'm not an Apple fangirl, but if I had the extra cash I'd buy the current model Ipod and pass this one down to the kids. For me, it's a wonderfully useful gadget and one worth updating. YMMV.

The Samsung Galaxy line gets consistently good reviews in PC Magazine, etc. There are phones, large tablets, small tablets, cellular and wi fi only. The operating system is Android, so there are apps available, although not as many as for Apple.

I am a big fan of Apple, but their products cost more than what I want to spend in some cases -- esp. for kids. A lot of WTM like Galaxy and will probably have some more specific recs for you.

My understanding is that after Apple introduced Retina (very vivid images), lots of programs were written/rewritten for it. Retina programs take up more computer resources than earlier programs -- that would be one reason for 'obsolescence.'

ETA Agreeing with Abeille's post. I should add I mentioned Galaxy, not because it lasts longer, but because it is less expensive.

I appreciate your comment. Maybe it's my lack of technical knowledge, but I don't understand why the device can no longer do what it used to. I don't upgrade my apps. I'm maxed out on the IOS. As of this morning, Safari no longer works--which means I can no longer surf the internet. Things that worked one day drop off one by one without me changing anything. There isn't another internet browser (that I can find) that will work on my IOS. I don't understand why I can't continue to run the lower level Safari since it worked fine yesterday. This has happened with lots of apps also, but this is the first time a major function of the device has been disabled. Is it really unrealistic to expect it to continue working the same way when I am not upgrading anything?

That's funny about Safari. Did you by any chance do an update by accident? Old hardware is sometimes a bad match for new software (and vice versa, lol). If you did update, you may be able to go back. My iMac has a function that lets me plug in my iPhone or iPad and revert (I think it's called) to the last auto backup.

You could also check how much space you are using on your iPod and delete some music, photos, etc that you have stored elsewhere -- in case lack of space is a problem.

That's funny about Safari. Did you by any chance do an update by accident? Old hardware is sometimes a bad match for new software (and vice versa, lol). If you did update, you may be able to go back. My iMac has a function that lets me plug in my iPhone or iPad and revert (I think it's called) to the last auto backup.

You could also check how much space you are using on your iPod and delete some music, photos, etc that you have stored elsewhere -- in case lack of space is a problem.

Should Safari still be working? You've given me hope! I've had other apps just quit on me---Facebook, Pinterest, and others. I didn't update them, but the older versions were no longer available/supported/usable. I assumed that was the problem with Safari. I downloaded two small pictures last night, but it still worked after that. Got up this morning and Safari doesn't work. I assumed it was like the other apps. If I can still find ANY browser that works with Ipod Touch 1G, I would be SOOO happy!

Should Safari still be working? You've given me hope! I've had other apps just quit on me---Facebook, Pinterest, and others. I didn't update them, but the older versions were no longer available/supported/usable. I assumed that was the problem with Safari. I downloaded two small pictures last night, but it still worked after that. Got up this morning and Safari doesn't work. I assumed it was like the other apps. If I can still find ANY browser that works with Ipod Touch 1G, I would be SOOO happy!

I am not an expert, but I am thinking that there is a difference between web based apps like FB and installed apps like Safari.

You could always put in a support call to Apple -- if they still support your iPod. It would be a paid call, obviously.

I googled various things like 'apps not working on iPod1.' That might also be a source of info -- you are not the only one with this problem!

Companies do not support old hardware/software/applications because it is not cost effective. I don't think restoring your settings will help because Safari is a web app. Your iPod won't be able to "talk" to the new version because it's technologically not capable of doing so. The problem is not with the software, it's with the outdated hardware. It happens all the time in the industry.

Ah, got it now. It sounds like this is industry-wide, so buying a different product won't solve the problem. Eventually whatever I buy will lose its functionality.

I'm re-thinking this now. I don't use apps much except the web browser, and I would like the ability to view PDFs (which is not very practical with the Ipod screen). Is there something that would allow internet access and enable me to read PDFs without paying for extras that I won't really use? I'm open to any recommendations you have. Eventually whatever I get will probably become obselete for the internet but not PDF viewability, correct?

I guess I'm confused about what happened that makes Safari not work. My dh has an iPod Touch of the same vintage as yours and Safari still functions on his. I just double checked to make sure. In fact it still works even though his screen is cracked in the one corner.

My advice would be to make sure whatever you have on your iPod is backed up (pictures, files, music, etc) and then resetting it to factory settings (can't remember just how it's worded in iTunes on the computer at the moment). From there I'd see if Safari is working again. If that's the case, then I'd be judicious in what I put back on it. If Apple still provided tech support for the device, this is precisely what they would probably suggest you do.

As for other devices - My sister has a Kindle Fire that she likes, though I am not impressed. You could always try one of the cheaper tablets if budget is a concern. There's also the 16GB iPad that might require a little creative data management depending on what you load onto it.

Hmmm, Safari doesn't work on my ipod either. I'll look into why.

Dh researched options, (he's very picky), and came to like the Galaxy. You can replace the batteries which is huge compared to Apple products and you can buy larger memory cards for it. It's very user friendly and dd is enjoying it very much.

Ah, got it now. It sounds like this is industry-wide, so buying a different product won't solve the problem. Eventually whatever I buy will lose its functionality.

I'm re-thinking this now. I don't use apps much except the web browser, and I would like the ability to view PDFs (which is not very practical with the Ipod screen). Is there something that would allow internet access and enable me to read PDFs without paying for extras that I won't really use? I'm open to any recommendations you have. Eventually whatever I get will probably become obselete for the internet but not PDF viewability, correct?

I should think you would be able to continue to view old pdf that you have already downloaded/created. But the software that creates pdf changes. I remember looking up some new 1940 census data on Ancestry and the pdfs were not viewable until I had installed a new version of Adobe pdf software. At the time I had an older OSX, so I had to upgrade my OS (long overdue) in order to install the Adobe software that would let me view the Ancestry files.

So software could become obsolete for some pdf viewing.

My daughter has something-or-other from Sony. It works beautifully, and she has it loaded with a large amount of music. She neither wants nor needs something that does other than capture and replay music. The sound quality from her equipment is good. If all you are seeking is a good-quality, small portable music device, I recommend checking out the Sony product line.

My daughter has something-or-other from Sony. It works beautifully, and she has it loaded with a large amount of music. She neither wants nor needs something that does other than capture and replay music. The sound quality from her equipment is good. If all you are seeking is a good-quality, small portable music device, I recommend checking out the Sony product line.

OP is talking about the frustration of apps not working, so, I think she is looking for a Touch replacement, not a music player replacement.

As of this morning, Safari no longer works--which means I can no longer surf the internet.

Try downloading a different browser, there are lots of free ones.

I say this not meant to be insulting at all, but meaning to be helpful: if you didn't already know to try a different browser to access the internet, I would suggest sticking with ipod. Because apple products require less tech savvy than its competitors.

I have a rather ancient Touch which still works fine with Safari. I don't know if it's 1st gen or shortly after, I honestly can't remember, but I can get email, facebook, surf online, etc no problem. It's a touch slower than my 2-year-old iphone but it's still a marvelously functional device.

*Disclaimer: My apologies if this seems too simplistic - I don't want to infer that you don't know how to use your device or are not technologically savvy. This is just something that I thought might be worth pursuing while I was eating lunch *

Another possibility would be a connectivity issue between the iPod and your internet service. Here's what I'm assuming:

1) You are connecting via WiFi and that there are other devices/computers that are connecting via the same WiFi router.

2) These other computers/devices are able to connect successfully

If both of those are true then - In the upper right hand corner of your device, do you see the signal strength indicator? If so, how many bars do you have? If there is no indicator there, then you'll need to troubleshoot your connection. If there is an indicator there, I'd still troubleshoot your connection. Go into your iPod's settings, turned the WiFi slider to "off" and then back to "on?" Does the indicator appear and are you able to use Safari/email/whatever? If not, go back into settings and select the blue arrow to the right of your network. Up at the top you'll see a button that says "forget this network," select that. From the main Wi-Fi network menu re-select your network and enter in applicable username/password. Check again to see if you are able to use Safari/email/etc.

If that doesn't work, then have you tried shutting the iPod down completely. As in, hold down the power button located on the top upper right hand corner until the red slider appears on the screen. Slide the arrow and have the device power down completely. This is actually one of my favorite troubleshooting techniques for any number of problems. Put the device down and walk away for awhile. Have a cup of coffee, go for a walk, and when you come back turn it on and see if your problem has righted itself.

If that doesn't fix your issue then I'd follow through with the suggestion that I and another poster made earlier - reset your device via iTunes (backing up your files first). If you reset your device, do not restore it from back up. You'll want to start fresh and then reload any apps/files on the device as if it were new. If it is in fact a software issue, and you were to restore from back up, then this could put you right back to where you started. This is one of the options that iTunes is going to give you when you reset it so be sure to pick the one that's going to start you over from scratch.

Another option would be to find a local independent Mac/Apple retailer/servicer - call and see if they could help you troubleshoot even though it's an older device. If they won't, maybe they know of a local apple savvy person who might be able to help you in person. You could also try the iPod touch forums over at MacRumors, the forums over at iFans, or the forums at iLounge.

While it's true that Apple will no longer provide support for your device and that you can no longer get iOS updates, this shouldn't render your device unusable as far as Safari is concerned and it's entirely possible that you could get things going again. It just might take a little time plus a heft dose of trial and error.

Try downloading a different browser, there are lots of free ones.

Everything else I've tried to download requires a more recent iOS than what my Ipod touch will support. If you happen to know of one that's still compatible with an old Ipod Touch, I would *love* to hear about it!

Hmmm, Safari doesn't work on my ipod either. I'll look into why.

Dh researched options, (he's very picky), and came to like the Galaxy. You can replace the batteries which is huge compared to Apple products and you can buy larger memory cards for it. It's very user friendly and dd is enjoying it very much.

Well, I'm sorry yours isn't working either. :( Though I have to say that I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm going to try the suggestions from mamaraby and see what happens. THANK YOU, mamaraby! I appreciate the detailed instructions. (I need step-by-step when it comes to anything technological!)

If not, go back into settings and select the blue arrow to the right of your network. Up at the top you'll see a button that says "forget this network," select that. From the main Wi-Fi network menu re-select your network and enter in applicable username/password. Check again to see if you are able to use Safari/email/etc.

You ROCK! I just got my Safari working again! WOOOHOOO! Thank you!

Well, I'm sorry yours isn't working either. :( Though I have to say that I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm going to try the suggestions from mamaraby and see what happens. THANK YOU, mamaraby! I appreciate the detailed instructions. (I need step-by-step when it comes to anything technological!)

Oh, I'm glad you find it helpful. I'm always hesitant because I don't want to assume that someone hasn't already tried what I might suggest. Fingers crossed here that this might rectify your issue. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll see if I can drum up a few more things to try. Oh, and if you find what I suggested unclear, pm me and I can try to make it more clear.

It's frustrating when one's tools aren't working properly.

You ROCK! I just got my Safari working again! WOOOHOOO! Thank you!

Yay!!

• 2 weeks later...

Mamaraby, it worked!! THANK YOU so much! Safari works---AND the other apps that had quit previously. I am THRILLED!! (Sorry for the caps, but I am just so excited!!) I had to restore it to factory settings (4 times actually because I'm so dense with these things that I had to start all over again a few times), then I added back the apps that were most important. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mamaraby, it worked!! THANK YOU so much! Safari works---AND the other apps that had quit previously. I am THRILLED!! (Sorry for the caps, but I am just so excited!!) I had to restore it to factory settings (4 times actually because I'm so dense with these things that I had to start all over again a few times), then I added back the apps that were most important. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I was wondering how it went for you and if you were successful in getting it working again. Somehow I missed your reply so I'm glad I stumbled across it today. I'm glad to hear that it worked - Yay! :0)