Menu

Focalin?

Haiku

Today our ped gave us a prescription for Focalin for my 10-year-old son. This was not a snap decision; she decided to prescribe it after years of me describing my son's impulse-control issues and difficulties following directions of any sort (which I don't attribute to defiance). I do NOT want my son on meds, but neither do I want him to continue to have low self-esteem and be upset that he can't do what he's asked to do. Ten year old should not hate themselves and wish they were dead.

Anyone have experience with Focalin?

Tara

Focalin did not work for my son, who has ADHD Combined Type.

I would suggest that you don't get discouraged if it doesn't work, or if the dose needs to be increased. Most docs will start with the lowest dosage, and go up gradually until they reach the one that's right for that person. It's also not unusual for someone to need to try several different ADHD meds until they find the right one. It's not unlike depression medication, in that what works for one person doesn't work for another and vice versa.

There is nothing wrong with taking medication for ADHD. Please don't let others make you think it's a bad thing.

Agree w/ everything Kathy said.

Focalin worked great for attention and focus w/ my dd, but she has some anger issues that seemed to accelerate w/ the Focalin, so we switched to Vyvanse. It doesn't work as well as the Focalin did. I think it's great that you waited to medicate, but I do think there comes a time when meds are necessary. My ds is so thankful for his. As several people on these boards have said, you have to think of it like this: "would you deny crutches to a child w/ a broken leg? Would you deny antibiotics if they were truly needed?" He has a real issue, that can be helped w/ medication...don't feel bad about that. Feel good that you are helping him! And mostly, don't get discouraged if it takes a year or more to find the right med, and the right dose!