Menu

A cat is meowing pitifully in our woods and I don't know what to do

Blueridge

have you seen it? or just heard it? last time there was a cat meowing pitifully for a prolonged period of time, it turned out to be a kitten in a tree. (who promptly took off for its presumed owner after dd brought it down in a bag.)

In the US we have 6in the backyard and 2 indoors. Only one was sought, the rest found us. Here there are cats nd dogs everywhere outside and they all know I'm a sucker, but we seem to agree that this is a feed only arrangement. They prefer staying outside.

Go find it, make sure it's ok, and name it.

I want to add, if there is a person who abandoned that poor animal, that is terrible. I'm appalled how many people discard pets to terrible fates (fend for themselves or a lonely death at a shelter).

That sounds terrible. Do you have any reason to suspect that someone abandoned it and is expecting (specifically) you to adopt it? Just because you get it out of the woods doesn't mean you have to keep it forever. Bringing it to a shelter would at least keep it from starving or being killed by a predator and give it a chance to find a forever home.

call for it (meow or kitty kitty) leave some food out since it may not trust you. shake the bowl while you call for it. Hopefully it will come to you. Once you establish how friendly it is, contact a rescue tell them the situation and offer to foster it till it can be placed.

Thank you, kind hearts. Dd just heard it again and has donned her rain coat and boots and is trying to find the cat. We just cannot leave it in the rain. If she can find it she will lead it to a food bowl, and we can reassess tomorrow.

As sad as it is people dump animals in the country all the time. It is sad and most will die but we shoo them off and do not feed anything except our own dogs and cats. We do not even bother catching them and taking to the humane society. All the rescues turn away cats because they are overflowing with them. Yes, the animals die when left, the lesson here is do not abandon your animals in the country and expect them to be OK.

As sad as it is people dump animals in the country all the time. It is sad and most will die but we shoo them off and do not feed anything except our own dogs and cats. We do not even bother catching them and taking to the humane society. All the rescues turn away cats because they are overflowing with them. Yes, the animals die when left, the lesson here is do not abandon your animals in the country and expect them to be OK.

I'm soft for animals. (And children.) I couldn't do it. We're just off the highway, so we get a lot of dumped animals in our area.

We'll have a few strays dropped any day now, as the college is done for the semester. We'll see them flitting around, they fight with our cats and then they'll disappear. I so wish people wouldn't drop them off "on a farm".

My sil had a notice with her vet. anyone who wanted to get rid of their cats - she'd take them. the cats lived outside, she bought a huge bag of cat food kept opened in an outbuilding. she gave them shots, and they in turn were expected to keep the mice population down on the farm.

My cat was just left outside an apt complex when the owners moved. It is sad people do that. He was brought to the humane society by my office manager a cat collector who just could not take in another and I adopted him. What will you be naming kitty? If you do bring him to a humane society it sounds like he will be a squeaky wheel who will get the grease. I got my because of his meowing when we walked by. My cat growing up is a kitten that adopted us by showing up in our backyard.

We have hundreds of feral cats in the valley. The animal welfare people catch them, neuter them and turn them back out. I don't get it--most will not survive the winter, slowly starving to death. It's hard to make it at -40 here. Why not just put them down--wouldn't that be kinder? They do try to tame the kittens and find homes, but the hard-core feral ones will never be pets. I don't understand it.

I think it would be kinder. Cats are viewed as an invasive species and our conservation department has taken steps to attempt to control the population.

It could be a lost cat, too! My son's cat jumped out of their downtown apt. window and somehow jumped up under a parked car, which drove out to a farm 20 miles away. He then lived in the woods near the farm for two months. The farm family could hear a cat out there crying, and from time to time would put food out there for it. This went on for two months, and then the son of the family saw a "Lost Cat" ad in the newspaper, matched the picture to their cat in the woods, and my son's cat was found!

I'd rescue the cat, but then look for lost cat ads/signs before deciding what to do with it.

our oldest cat (13 now) was found by kids closed up in a box under the Boardwalk (he was so tiny, maybe 6 weeks old). Who colud have put a tiny kitten in a box and closed it up and left it where it might not have been found, I can't understand those kind of people.

Our youngest cat was found in an abandoned drug house in Camden.

At the end of each summer, tons of cats are dropped of at our local shelter by summer people that wanted a cat for the summer but don't want to take it home with them.