Menu

Who is going to see Star Trek this weekend?

elegantlion

I love Star Trek. This isn't Star Trek. :(

Maybe if they'd called it something else...

Alas, if Abrams & Co. hadn't reduced the 2009 movie to the level of "Dude...where's my starship??"...

I'll go see the new movie, because I'm a trekkie, and like all good trekkies, means I have a streak of masochism. But I agree with you, this isn't Star Trek, not really.

I love Star Trek. This isn't Star Trek. :(

Maybe if they'd called it something else...

One of my friends who didn't like the first Abrams movie praised this one for returning to the original vision of Star Trek in this one.

I curious what you don't like (seriously) about this direction. Does it mess with canon too much?

One of my friends who didn't like the first Abrams movie praised this one for returning to the original vision of Star Trek in this one.

I curious what you don't like (seriously) about this direction. Does it mess with canon too much?

Not canon... I'm not obsessive that way, but rather the spirit of it. It's too fast, too loud, too superficial, too familiar/generic in an "Oh, a science fiction movie" kinda way. Nice special effects though, and do I like most of the new cast (but not Kirk ETA: and not the new characterizations).

Can't speak for nmoira, but I can share my reasons.

1. Messed very much with Gene Roddenberry's characterizations, taking massive liberties not sufficiently justified by "alternate universe" theories. Also--WTH will casting the JAPANESE character Sulu with a CHINESE guy? Is this "Oh any Asian guy will do?" Srsly???

2. Promoting Kirk from cadet to Captain of the FLAGSHIP. WITH NO EXPERIENCE. AFTER CASTING HIM AS PLAYBOY ARROGANT ASSHOLE who sleeps his way through the Academy. Yeah, that sounds a whole lot like Gene Roddenberry's "Stack of books with two legs" who was "so grim" and studious in the Academy, and who is supposed to be a kind of "philosopher/king" character. Abrams reduced him to a hormonal highly sexed jerk who is obnoxious enough to be in the right place and surrounded by the right people to somehow pull off a crazy mission.

3. Nyota. They sexed her up, too. I have no problem with her having a romantic relationship with Spock (though it was not well done, IMO). I have a problem with her most important contributions taking place while she's either undressing, and leaving her post after Vulcan is destroyed to go comfort Spock. Really?? REALLY??? Why didn't they have her TAKE THE CON or DO A SPACE JUMP or GO WITH SPOCK on the Romulan ship to kick ass???

4. Spock. Oh, Spock. Making out in a transporter room in front of others. Again--killed the character. They made him sexy, but they sacrificed his mysterious factor by basically making him act as a human with pointy ears.

5. THEY KILLED AMANDA. THEY DESTROYED VULCAN. If I could write the director it would go as follows:

DearAbrams, I know you're a Star Wars fan, but you were not being all "revolutionary" in basically taking a page out of Star Wars and blowing up a planet. You suck, and you will never be able to make up for the suckage that is the "reboot" by trying to over use the "go back in time" trope YET AGAIN.

6. If the universe doesn't diverge from the original until Kirk is born, why are Kirk and Chekov roughly the same age in NuTrek, but like 10+ years apart in the original?

7. Also--it wasn't just Kirk who jumped like a bazillion ranks. ALL of the bridge crew, which is headed by DEPARTMENT HEADS, ends up staffed by inexperienced CADETS, with Spock being the sole exception. And until the last minute, HE WASN'T EVEN PLANNING TO SHIP OUT WITH THEM. GAH. THE ILLOGIC.

There is more, but those are the biggies. The only two characters who remained roughly recognizable are McCoy and Scotty.

That is all.

We leave in an hour and a half for the 3D version. The kdis are beyond excited and keep asking every 10 minutes if it's time to go. :laugh:

Please report back and let us know if the 3D version is worth the extra $$. We're still debating which version to see this weekend.

My four adults kids went last night to the imax version - a fan sneak at 8pm. they all said it was fabulous, and better than the last one. dh and I are taking 1ds tomorrow for his birthday. (yesterday).

1. Messed very much with Gene Roddenberry's characterizations, taking massive liberties not sufficiently justified by "alternate universe" theories. Also--WTH will casting the JAPANESE character Sulu with a CHINESE guy? Is this "Oh any Asian guy will do?" Srsly???

the producers had their concerns and spoke extensively with George Takai about his feelings about casting a KOREAN as Sulu. George Takai told them what Gene Roddenberry's "vision" was. George Takai fully supported their casting an actor who happens to be of KOREAN ancestry as Sulu.

for those who haven't seen the audi Spock commercial - YOU MUST SEE. :lol:

the producers had their concerns and spoke extensively with George Takai about his feelings about casting a KOREAN as Sulu. George Takai told them what Gene Roddenberry's "vision" was. George Takai fully supported their casting an actor who happens to be of KOREAN ancestry as Sulu.

for those who haven't seen the audi Spock commercial - YOU MUST SEE. :lol:

Sorry about that! I couldn't recall if he was Korean or Chinese, but I knew he was immediately NOT Japanese when I saw him. His facial features are markedly different from most Japanese.

Regardless of whether Takai supported it, I thought it was culturally tacky and lazy on part of the producers. It reminded me of those old Western movies where white dudes would put on make-up and pretend to be American Indians. "How now brown cow! I am Tuppa-Waren."

Uhh...

Dh and I will be going to see it eventually. I liked the first movie, but I had to separate it from Star Trek. Probably what bothered me most was Spock. I take Spock very seriously. While most females were probably all gaga over Kirk, it was Spock that my little old heart flutter. I really dislike how Spock was characterized. I agree they totally messed up with Kirk. However, I could live with them messing with Kirk, but not Spock. Anyway, I did like the first movie, even better the second time because I'd gotten over being ticked off, but I'm leery of the new one. I take Star Trek very seriously - sort of like my religion.

I'm enjoying rewatching TNG with my twins. Neither of them liked Yar and were glad to see her gone at the end of the first season. They call Troi Miss Cleavage and like Riker much better with a beard. But... they both love Data. Just like mom.

I had fun with it.

We saw the 3D version inadvertently :). It was fun. My first 3D movie that's a studio film. I dodged a couple times. :)

Cumberbatch is fun!

I think the Trek reboot beats the Star Wars hands down...although dh says see what happens with the new movies.

I'm glad we saw this one in the theater.

Yes! The kids want to see it at midnight. And various friends want to see it with DH this weekend because he is the 'trekkie' among us.

And I must disagree with you, Moira. This is Star Trek for the millennial generation. If it hadn't evolved over the years I'd never have watched it. The original series gives me the willies. I love TNG and enjoy some of the other shows and movies. And I love, love, love this reboot. :)

I suspected this was the issue. :001_smile: I remember watching the original series on my parents' old black and white TV.

I am sad that I am not! :sad:

It was supposed to be our anniversary date (11 yrs.) on Saturday. But DH has completely forgotten (about the date, not our anniversary!) and we don't have a sitter and can't afford one anyway.

I have one free movie pass, so I may go one afternoon sometime soon when my mom can watch the kids. Definitely one I want to see on the big screen!

I

Me. :) I won't be able to do my usual midnight show though, as I have an early morning tomorrow; it'll have to be this weekend.

FTR I'm a huge Trekkie and love the new movies. I think they did an awesome job of rebooting the series for a new generation.

It won't be at our local theaters until the end of May, first of June. The theater in the town south of us only has the 2D.

But I see the theater in the town east of us has the 3D! Of course that also means the 3D up-charge which then makes a ticket something like $6 for adults! :glare:

When checking IMDb for parental advisories, I see that it's released in Klingon, as well as English. :D

This will be the first time ever I haven't gone to opening night of a Star Trek movie! I do not like what Abrams did with it, but I would still go just to continue the tradition if I were able. Unfortunately, I am getting ready to have knee surgery next week and am required to stay off my feet. Abrams turned Star Trek into a bad Star Wars clone.

Nah.

I really liked the shows, despite the high cheese factor. But the reboot movie disappointed me. It's a fun sci fi flick but it's NOT Star Trek.

Most people know that the original Star Trek pilot, with Captain Pike, was turned down by the network for being "too cerebral". So they brought it sexy actors and more guns and fight scenes. But the core values were always there - a utopian future based on peace and exploration in a post-capitalistic world. The reboot? It's just sexy actors and guns and fight scenes. All candy coating, but there's nothing in the center of it. No point.

We went last night and it did not disappoint. At one point I noticed DD had tears streaming down her face. Each twin cried at different moments. DS was at the edge of his seat the entire movie. DH had a big grin the whole time. It was super fun for the whole family. :hurray:

I'll do my best not to spoil, considering the one particular scene I'm thinking of was in one of the trailers (trekkies are very familiar with it), but I knew it was coming, it was predictable, and I didn't cry...at first. The one different thing (or the effect of that difference) made me cry. Sigh. Honestly though, had I not seen the original movie, where this particular scene was mirrored from, I might have cried much sooner, so non-Trekkies might have that going for them. But then, I don't think you could be that invested in Kirk and Spock without some canon. I think they must be the first couple I ever shipped. :p

Nah.

I really liked the shows, despite the high cheese factor. But the reboot movie disappointed me. It's a fun sci fi flick but it's NOT Star Trek.

Most people know that the original Star Trek pilot, with Captain Pike, was turned down by the network for being "too cerebral". So they brought it sexy actors and more guns and fight scenes. But the core values were always there - a utopian future based on peace and exploration in a post-capitalistic world. The reboot? It's just sexy actors and guns and fight scenes. All candy coating, but there's nothing in the center of it. No point.

You think so? Maybe you should have given this particular reboot a chance. ;) We saw it tonight.

It won't be at our local theaters until the end of May, first of June. The theater in the town south of us only has the 2D.

But I see the theater in the town east of us has the 3D! Of course that also means the 3D up-charge which then makes a ticket something like $6 for adults! :glare:

Is that a typo? The theater that we saw the movie in charges $10.25 for the 2D version and $13.75 for the 3D.

My parents took my older two to see it yesterday. Melody and Wil have watched absolutely no original Star Trek. Melody just wanted to see Mr. HandsomeBatch. Wil likes anything Star Trek he's seen. My parents used to watch Star Trek a lot. They only ever were into the original series. Everyone loved the movie. My parents really enjoyed all the little references to the original series. The only thing my mom wasn't a fan of was Pike wasn't quite right, but otherwise she thought it was awesome and thought the casting, for the most part, was extremely well done.

When checking IMDb for parental advisories, I see that it's released in Klingon, as well as English. :D

That's cheap compared to many other places. $6 is what matinees cost for regular shows here.

We saw it yesterday afternoon in 3D because that's what was available at the time we wanted to see it (we were getting tires on the car and multitasking the wait). Loads of fun! Except I sort of wanted Cumberbatch to "win" in the end because, well, he's Cumberbatch.

I would say more, but it might contain spoilers. We had watched some original series episodes and movies in the past few weeks, so we were pretty fresh on TOS characters, etc., which added to the fun.

That's cheap compared to many other places. $6 is what matinees cost for regular shows here.

here a 2d early bird matinee is $8.75. an evening 3d imax is $16.75. I grew up watching the original series - and I still prefer it over the others.

Is that a typo? The theater that we saw the movie in charges $10.25 for the 2D version and $13.75 for the 3D.

Our usual price is $4 for adults.

Because theaters in my area are all volunteer run, there are only single shows on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, or, Friday, Saturday, Sunday evenings... Keeps the ticket prices low, but it's a very basic theater experience, too. Like what our grandparents would have seen.

I have to drive 90 miles to find a theater that has multi-screens or multiple showings. Or high backed seats or cupholders... ;)

FTR I'm a huge Trekkie and love the new movies. I think they did an awesome job of rebooting the series for a new generation.

Blech.

I think, if that new generation wants something of their own, they should come up with something original, rather than scavenging bits and pieces of things other people love and adding more noise.

Blech.

I think, if that new generation wants something of their own, they should come up with something original, rather than scavenging bits and pieces of things other people love and adding more noise.

that would kill almost everything Hollywood makes. all the superman movies (just the latest), remakes of classic movies, movies based on tv shows, sequels . . . . .