Menu

What level MCT for 4th?

So I have read through quite a few threads about the various levels of MCT and where to start students, and I'm still indecisive about what I should do, so I'm hoping those who have used it can give me their informed opinions.

My daughter has done FLL 2 and 3 and the first part of Level 1 of KISS. She can recite all the memorized definitions from FLL, but honestly has a little trouble applying any of that knowledge to other things. She can fairly reliably find subjects and verbs, but beyond that she's pretty inconsistent. I really think the four part sentence analysis will help with this.

So my concern with MCT is that the Island level will be just simple enough to not engage her, but then again I worry that the Town level is just a bit too much without having done MCT before. I've seen Crimson Wife's plan where she says to start with Sentence Island then move on to the Town level. Is this what I should do, or I should I just go faster through Island just to make sure she's got that part down?

Thanks for any advice and help you can give!!

We are just finishing up MCT-Island level (4th grade). We used FLL for 3rd grade and I felt that DD didn't retain any of it. Frankly, I'm shocked at how much she has learned from MCT. I think Crimson is right.....start with Island. MCT is very pricey, but very worth it. It's a totally different kind of curriculum. One that should be enjoyed, not hurried through. I've already got the Town level for next year.

MCT island would be a perfect fit. My 3rd grader and 4th grader are working through it right now. They love it! They both went through FLL 3 & 4. They could recite what a noun, verb, adjective, and adverb are but could not apply the knowledge. MCT island has been a perfect fit for them. Now after MCT they are able to apply that knowledge. You may find that you can work faster through the Island level. I do not mind it as I want them well prepared for Town level.

What we did in 4th grade (after dropping FLL, which bored us to tears and wasn't sticking) was go through GrammarLand with the worksheets Jessica made, and then we did Sentence Island, then started the Town level. It was perfect. We could have started with Town, but I was advised not to skip SI (love Mud!) and I'm delighted I followed that advice!

Thank you all for your input! I'm glad I'm not the only who who has had this problem! As much as I love the idea of moving her along into Town level faster so I don't feel like she's behind, I think we'll start with Town, both to take it easy, and because then I'll have the materials to do with my son next year. I also already have Growing With Grammar, and I'll have her do those pages as review, since the 4th grade level has even less content that FLL 3 and I can't just throw out a resource I already have.

I'm going to skip the vocab and poetry book for Island, but will definitely pick them up for Town next year. We're just starting Latin and can't wait to do Caesar's English to support that!

Thank you all again!!