What's with the ads?

Photo

Skip Counting or memorize multiplication?

math

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 terrih

terrih

Just Visiting

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

I am using Saxon Math 3 this year with my two daughters in 3rd grade. It uses skip counting. They grasp the concept, but take forever to figure out the multiplication answers. They also make mistakes when skip counting, if they count by themselves and then get answers wrong based on the wrong counting. I am wondering what other people do to teach this now-a-days? Thanks in advance.

#2 PinkyandtheBrains.

PinkyandtheBrains.

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4649 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

We use both skip counting and memorization. Both skills are useful.

#3 Kuovonne

Kuovonne

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1437 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

They grasp the concept, but take forever to figure out the multiplication answers. They also make mistakes when skip counting, if they count by themselves and then get answers wrong based on the wrong counting.

Those are the same two reasons why I abandoned skip counting and moved towards drilling strategies for multiplication facts.

#4 Leav97

Leav97

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

We use skip counting long enough to understand the concept. Then memorize the facts. Division is easier if you know your multiplication facts.

#5 Dialectica

Dialectica

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3869 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

We drill multiplication facts after the child has a good understanding of what multiplication is. Before the facts are solidly memorized, we use serial addition to find the answer to a problem.

#6 Word Nerd

Word Nerd

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7316 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Saxon uses both; they start with skip counting but definitely cover math facts as well. Saxon almost goes overboard IMHO in the amount of addition and multiplication fact drills they do.

#7 Dahliarw

Dahliarw

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

I agree that memorizing multiplication facts is the way to go. But, they do also need to know how to do basic skip counting (2s, 5s, 10s) and that can help with math as well. I remember memorizing all of my multiplication facts (up to 12) when I was in 3rd grade.

#8 Dory

Dory

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3270 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

We do both. I was taught with just skip counting, my dh was drilled. I found both to be a little lacking. We start with skip counting, which gives them a solid understanding of what they are doing with multiplication. Then once they are comfortable with skip counting with all the basics (2,3,4,5,7, and 10 forwards and backwards), then we start drills with the multiplication facts. I'm finding my kids are very comfortable playing with numbers.

#9 boscopup

boscopup

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11334 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Another vote for both. I use skip counting to intro, then follow up with memorization/drill.

Saxon starts skip counting in K, so normally a third grader in Saxon would have been doing skip counting a long time and be ready to memorize.

#10 54879525

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55102 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Both. Skip counting makes sense for some of the numbers, but for others I think it is more tedious.

#11 PachiSusan

PachiSusan

I Use a Box...Get over it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3252 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

I thought skip counting was to understand the concept better and then memorization kicks in.

#12 MistyMountain

MistyMountain

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

I will do both plus show the concept with manipulatives. We already are working on skip counting in kindergarten. She knows her 2s, 5s, 10s and 25s to 100. I plan on eventually showing the concept with cuisenaire rods and working more with skip counting relating to multiplication. Once they really understand what multiplication is I wouldn't mind them memorizing it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: math

What's with the ads?