Menu

Beginner yoga DVD for the not-very-flexible person?

TrixieB

I am looking for a beginner DVD aimed at the 40-something not-very-flexible person who doesn't yet have all the strength required for some of the moves. The DVDs I've sampled assume that the participant can start out doing the moves... which I can't.

Are there any such DVDs?

I've purchased many beginning yoga dvds I don't like, either because they aren't "really" for beginners (despite their name), or they're just plain boring. I really like suzanne deason's yoga conditioning for weight loss. It shows three levels of modification as well as the full pose. It uses a yoga-blanket, block, and strap for full modification.

I'm now branching out, but that is still my main. I think it has more stretching than a couple other dvd's I'm starting to use in a rotation.

I developed a lot of balance, gained strength, and flexibility. I also breathe better, and my cortisol levels have plummeted.

eta: there are also yoga dvd's that are aimed at inflexible people. try including that in your search terms. I don't own any of those.

keep in mind with yoga - slow controlled movements require more muscle control than fast movements which rely upon momentum.

Suzanne Deason's "Yoga for Weightloss" is excellent. She herself does some pretty advanced moves, but she has *3* other women doing the moves with her, each of them demonstrating a modification for anywhere from "slightly less flexible than the instructor" to "very inflexible". They also show how to use the props in some of the modifications.

When I was just starting out in Yoga I liked that particular video because it allowed me to progress as my flexibility improved without having to go out and buy another video.

This was the first yoga DVD I ever bought. And it's still my favorite. Mostly it's a demonstration of basic yoga postures, along with modifications using blocks and straps if needed. The emphasis is on doing the postures correctly. A lot of the reviews complain that it's slow, but that's actually what I like most about it. I've found a lot of beginner yoga DVDs move too fast and don't have enough focus on proper positioning.

This was the first yoga DVD I ever bought. And it's still my favorite. Mostly it's a demonstration of basic yoga postures, along with modifications using blocks and straps if needed. The emphasis is on doing the postures correctly. A lot of the reviews complain that it's slow, but that's actually what I like most about it. I've found a lot of beginner yoga DVDs move too fast and don't have enough focus on proper positioning.

:iagree: and don't demonstrate modifications for people who aren't as flexible.