Menu

High School Transcripts for students with LD

DawnM

When I worked in the school setting an LD student always had a specific folder attached to their transcripts that specified their LD and all IEP information.

My son is doing pretty well in the subjects we are giving him, but the work load would NOT be that of a traditional 9th grade student, so even though he may be getting an A or B (I haven't really given grades yet for this year), he is doing it at a middle school level in most subjects.

How does the transcript reflect that? Or do you add a letter of explanation?

Chances are he will be looking at a Voc Tech training program in something like Graphic Arts or Design anyway as that is his bent, so I don't *think* we will be looking at him applying to 4 year schools, BUT, I do know there are some 4 year programs out there that might interest him.

Even if he goes to the local CC, which will not require a test to enter, he will need some accommodations.

Thank you,

Dawn

If you're needing accommodations, you are going to want your son to have had a recent evaluation that gives his specific diagnosis and recommended accommodations. The director of the disability office at my son's CC was thrilled that we had all the documentation during his appointment with her. Based on it there was no problem getting accommodations at the college. We also used the same paperwork to get accommodations through the College Board--again, no problem.

A homeschool transcript by itself never gives enough information, no matter the student. You will tailor the extra documentation based on the school and what they need. A traditional 4 year college, for instance, would have an admissions committee who will want to see course descriptions and reading lists and outside verification of abilities, such as standardized tests scores or community college classes. A vocational school would probably just want a transcript that lists course titles with grades and that shows a diploma has been awarded. You can be vague with some course titles such as "English 9" or "US History". You can show that a science course is not typical high school fare such as "Life Science" instead of biology or "Physical Science" instead of chemistry or physics. Math is pretty cut and dry -- it is either algebra or it isn't, or geometry or algebra 2.

Accommodations are usually addressed through Disabled Student Services or some similarly named office on campus. Even before your son applies to the school, you can contact the office to find out what kind of documentation they'd like and what kinds of services they offer. They might also be a good resource for advice about what you'd need when applying to the school. But I can't imagine the admissions office needing to know about LDs. My ds didn't address that aspect of his education with either the admissions office at the community college or at the vocational/professional school.

He does already have this.....he has testing and accommodations listed.

However, we will most likely revisit it as he gets closer to graduation to re-evaluate before completing high school.

Dawn

If you're needing accommodations, you are going to want your son to have had a recent evaluation that gives his specific diagnosis and recommended accommodations. The director of the disability office at my son's CC was thrilled that we had all the documentation during his appointment with her. Based on it there was no problem getting accommodations at the college. We also used the same paperwork to get accommodations through the College Board--again, no problem.

Thank you.

So, are you saying you address this with the disabilities services after admission?

Dawn

A homeschool transcript by itself never gives enough information, no matter the student. You will tailor the extra documentation based on the school and what they need. A traditional 4 year college, for instance, would have an admissions committee who will want to see course descriptions and reading lists and outside verification of abilities, such as standardized tests scores or community college classes. A vocational school would probably just want a transcript that lists course titles with grades and that shows a diploma has been awarded. You can be vague with some course titles such as "English 9" or "US History". You can show that a science course is not typical high school fare such as "Life Science" instead of biology or "Physical Science" instead of chemistry or physics. Math is pretty cut and dry -- it is either algebra or it isn't, or geometry or algebra 2.

Accommodations are usually addressed through Disabled Student Services or some similarly named office on campus. Even before your son applies to the school, you can contact the office to find out what kind of documentation they'd like and what kinds of services they offer. They might also be a good resource for advice about what you'd need when applying to the school. But I can't imagine the admissions office needing to know about LDs. My ds didn't address that aspect of his education with either the admissions office at the community college or at the vocational/professional school.

Please tell us about the college board accommodations. How long did it take to get them? What documentation did you use? What specific accommodations did you get for SAT testing?

I need some serious handholding here. DS is a rising 8th grader...when should I start applying? Thank-you, h

Please tell us about the college board accommodations. How long did it take to get them? What documentation did you use? What specific accommodations did you get for SAT testing?

I need some serious handholding here. DS is a rising 8th grader...when should I start applying? Thank-you, h

I think it took about six weeks.

We used an evaluator who was very experienced with doing evaluations and reports for College Board accommodations. Apparently the CB wants to see very specific testing and reporting.

These were the tests my son had done (I'm sure it will vary depending on what accommodations you are looking for and what your son's particular issues are):

WISC-IV

WIAT-III

Nelson-Denny Reading Test both timed and given extended time (to show a discrepancy)

Selected items from the WJ Cognitive Abilities Test (processing speed stuff)--apparently the CB wants to see really low processing speed scores, like somewhere around the 1st percentile.

Then the evaluator showed where there were severe discrepancies.

We asked for double time, keyboard for essays, small group setting, and recording answers in the test booklet.

He got everything but the double time--they gave him time and a half instead.

Thank you.

So, are you saying you address this with the disabilities services after admission?

Dawn

Yes -- that was my experience, at least. As I said, when you do start looking at schools you should contact the disabilities office just to get feel for what they offer and see if they have any advice on what to include in the admissions application or transcript.

Maybe a better question is 'How much did this cost?'

UGH. He already did most of these but they will be years before college applications. I guess we will have to redo them all.

He did NOT score in the 1% though.....not even close.

However, I am also assuming that if we go the Technical route and not a traditional college route, he may not need to do all this testing again.

Dawn

We used an evaluator who was very experienced with doing evaluations and reports for College Board accommodations. Apparently the CB wants to see very specific testing and reporting.

These were the tests my son had done (I'm sure it will vary depending on what accommodations you are looking for and what your son's particular issues are):

WISC-IV

WIAT-III

Nelson-Denny Reading Test both timed and given extended time (to show a discrepancy)

Selected items from the WJ Cognitive Abilities Test (processing speed stuff)--apparently the CB wants to see really low processing speed scores, like somewhere around the 1st percentile.

We asked for double time, keyboard for essays, small group setting, and recording answers in the test booklet.

WISC-IV

WIAT-III

Awesome...Thank-you!!!

Maybe a better question is 'How much did this cost?'

UGH. He already did most of these but they will be years before college applications. I guess we will have to redo them all.

He did NOT score in the 1% though.....not even close.

However, I am also assuming that if we go the Technical route and not a traditional college route, he may not need to do all this testing again.

Dawn

For what it is worth -- my ds made it a point to NOT go the traditional 4 year route simply because he wanted to avoid the entire standardized testing circus. Accommodations or not, he could not stomach having to take the SAT or ACT after having had to take yearly standardized tests for his homeschool charter.

His initial plan was community college then transfer to a 4 year, requiring no standardized tests other than the college's math or english placement tests. He settled on this plan by 9th grade, I believe, and knew it was an equally valid and successful path to getting a degree from a state university. The staff at the special needs office at the community college were very welcoming and helpful and his last batch of diagnostic tests had been done several years earlier.

He wound up at a professional/tech school after a semester of community college and a year of mentored work. None of the big standardized tests were needed for this school and it has been the perfect fit for him.

• 3 months later...

Wondered about this more generally. Not sure the amount of detail I will need to provide to the admissions. DS was tested last spring and received accommodations for College Board (after he took AP and SAT, unfortunately) and at the local high school where he is currently taking two courses. Not sure if he should point out the timing of receiving the accommodations vis a vis taking the exams listed on his transcript? He is re-taking SAT this October with accommodations now in place (time and a half). Also taking 2 AP exams at the end of this,  his senior year.

DS's academic record looks pretty good, as do his test scores: 1300 on CR + M SAT (530 on his writing score, which just refuses to  improve); and 4 on AP Bio test (received an A for the course from local high school). But because of his documented processing issues, his courses have been less bright and shiny than they might have been. When he started high school in 9th grade, I was spending much of the English Comp. time just getting him to spell like a 6th grader and write even a bit legibly.  His language art skills will always be a major weakness for him, comparativley speaking.  So his college essay won't be stellar. Nor has he taken the number of AP courses/dual credit, that he might have taken had he not been dealing with some of his LDs (could barely read at age 10 etc.). So, just wondering how much of this I share with admissions, or just send everything in on face value, and let it speak for itself as though he was just a regular student with regular issues. Like most parents these days, money for college is a sore point, with dd coming up right behind him the following year. So the more 'help' we can get in the form of merit scholarships, the more likely it is that he can pursue a program that is close to his heart. If you factor in all his LDs, his accomplishments have been huge over the past 4 years. But not sure how much to draw attention to that? Any thoughts or experience would be gladly accepted!