Menu

Does anyone teach IEW Writing to Co-op? Please help me start!

A lot of ladies in my homeschool group are reluctant about teaching writing to their children. They have been hinting for months now about me starting a writing class using IEW. Since I know I want to use IEW with my rising 8th grader, I may consider this opportunity. BUT.....I need some direction please! Besides buying the TWSS what else do I need to know on starting this up?? I was thinking two groups... 3rd-5th.....6th-8th. Can anyone tell me how they set up their year.....costs......materials (theme writing or using SWI dvd's)......? I'm really excited about doing this but I would like a realistic outline of how you do it! I was thinking meeting once a week or every other week........I'll be waiting for some suggestions! Thank you bunches and bunches in advance!

There's also an IEW Co-op Teacher's Yahoo Group that you may want to join. There is lots there on logistics and the business aspects.

I prefer the theme books because you get a little history in there too, and they are very self-contained.

Locally, folks that offer IEW classes meet weekly and charge $300-500/year. Some buy the books and sell them separately, and some have the families buy them on their own.

You'll have other decisions -- how much are you going to mark their writing, are you going to provide grades, will you send out a weekly summary email after class, etc. etc.

If you plan to do this long-term, the local folks who do this are all accredited instructors with IEW, but you may want to wait on that.

We're very casual in our small three family co-op but I've taught it several years at an official co-op. In all of these, we either used SWI videos which the kids watch in class, followed by teacher/student brainstorming or we've taught from their American History and All Things Fun and Fascinating. Right now, I'm doing the videos with 5th and 6th graders from SICC-B and I am grading them based on the ruberic given. We follow the timeline given so if an assignment is two weeks, we give the students that time. In the past, it was up to the parents how much they were going to expect from their children and I just facilitated the lessons. Whether or not the students followed the "plan" was on the parents. I would not slow down though. We always did/do the lesson on the day it was/is planned. You'll need to discuss with the parents how much they want from you. Just facilitate or grades as well? The one you choose will determine how much time you have to put into it. Additionally, you'll want to poll the parents to find out who's used what so far. For instance, if a majority has used SWI-B, you wouldn't want to repeat it. HTH

We're very casual in our small three family co-op but I've taught it several years at an official co-op. In all of these, we either used SWI videos which the kids watch in class, followed by teacher/student brainstorming or we've taught from their American History and All Things Fun and Fascinating. Right now, I'm doing the videos with 5th and 6th graders from SICC-B and I am grading them based on the ruberic given. We follow the timeline given so if an assignment is two weeks, we give the students that time. In the past, it was up to the parents how much they were going to expect from their children and I just facilitated the lessons. Whether or not the students followed the "plan" was on the parents. I would not slow down though. We always did/do the lesson on the day it was/is planned. You'll need to discuss with the parents how much they want from you. Just facilitate or grades as well? The one you choose will determine how much time you have to put into it. Additionally, you'll want to poll the parents to find out who's used what so far. For instance, if a majority has used SWI-B, you wouldn't want to repeat it. HTH

. IEW would be new for the amount of kids that are interested as of now. So I guess I have a lot of options on where to start!? Thank you for helping.....

There's also an IEW Co-op Teacher's Yahoo Group that you may want to join. There is lots there on logistics and the business aspects.

I prefer the theme books because you get a little history in there too, and they are very self-contained.

Locally, folks that offer IEW classes meet weekly and charge $300-500/year. Some buy the books and sell them separately, and some have the families buy them on their own.

You'll have other decisions -- how much are you going to mark their writing, are you going to provide grades, will you send out a weekly summary email after class, etc. etc.

If you plan to do this long-term, the local folks who do this are all accredited instructors with IEW, but you may want to wait on that.

I don't have any answers to what you've asked in your thread.....grades & all that! I have a lot of homework to do if I'm going to get serious about this. I may just have to get my feet wet with IEW this upcoming school year with my kids before attempting with others. Thank you for your help and I'll check out the yahoo group!