Menu

The days are racing by...

unsinkable

I know, I know. The leaves are out and we had a warm day and we are all to obviously headed into the same season that my son leaves at the end of. Horrible sentence but whatever lol. Ug.

Right there with ya.

Big, big sigh.

Annnnndddddd..... I am going to whine here, if you want to pass the cheese.......

She's going to be working two jobs this summer.... full time 8-5 and part time nights and weekends. : ( : (

Then, August 18th, and she's gone. poof.

Trying to enjoy a couple of nice weekends now while we can -- in between AP Exams and all the rest.

...what happened to my fat little baby?

He is doing exactly what you prepared him to do! Be proud of yourself for this accomplishment!

And be grateful for whatever time you have with your almost College Boy. Ours is home for a bit, truly a pleasure since we have not seen him since mid-January.

Definitely enjoy your summer and your reminiscing. We're getting the next two days with our middle son, and then a couple of days when he's at oldest's wedding in June. That's it.

In the meantime he'll be getting heavily involved in research - just as he wants to do - and mama bird here will be cheering him on all the way.

But I still miss the "old" days...

Oh Jen, lots of hugs. It isn't whining because it is something big not something trivial. My family had plans for a family trip this summer. When it looked like it wasn't going to work, I had a melt-down and everyone suddenly realized why this trip is important to me and the trip is back on. Phew! Youngest had planned to go away this summer but recently decided going away right before he goes away isn't something he wants to do after all. I try to comfort myself with the idea that it would be worse if they didn't grow up. We know a few parents who would give anything to have their children be able to grow up and go away to college. It doesn't make the sadness any less, though. Knowing that this is supposed to happen, that it is right that it happens, just means there is less other emotion swirling around on top. Gak. How gloomy I sound. Nothing like a raining spring day to bring out the worst in one.

Nan

I know, I know. The leaves are out and we had a warm day and we are all to obviously headed into the same season that my son leaves at the end of. Horrible sentence but whatever lol. Ug.

I know...that green mist of a few weeks ago has become full leaves now.

I just wish they fit on their Big Wheels still. I remember doing the big spring cleaning of the ride-on toys. And dragging out the bucket of chalk from the garage, pulling out the dried crinkly leaves that landed in the bucket before it was put away for the last time the previous fall...

Right there with ya.

Big, big sigh.

Annnnndddddd..... I am going to whine here, if you want to pass the cheese.......

She's going to be working two jobs this summer.... full time 8-5 and part time nights and weekends. : ( : (

Then, August 18th, and she's gone. poof.

Trying to enjoy a couple of nice weekends now while we can -- in between AP Exams and all the rest.

Don't worry about whining. We're all good with it!

He is doing exactly what you prepared him to do! Be proud of yourself for this accomplishment!

And be grateful for whatever time you have with your almost College Boy. Ours is home for a bit, truly a pleasure since we have not seen him since mid-January.

Thank you!

I really shouldn't be crying. He's not even leaving.

I'm just very, very bad at endings and transitions.

Definitely enjoy your summer and your reminiscing. We're getting the next two days with our middle son, and then a couple of days when he's at oldest's wedding in June. That's it.

In the meantime he'll be getting heavily involved in research - just as he wants to do - and mama bird here will be cheering him on all the way.

But I still miss the "old" days...

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials! You're gonna be a MIL! You'll be awesome at it!

Oh Jen, lots of hugs. It isn't whining because it is something big not something trivial. My family had plans for a family trip this summer. When it looked like it wasn't going to work, I had a melt-down and everyone suddenly realized why this trip is important to me and the trip is back on. Phew! Youngest had planned to go away this summer but recently decided going away right before he goes away isn't something he wants to do after all. I try to comfort myself with the idea that it would be worse if they didn't grow up. We know a few parents who would give anything to have their children be able to grow up and go away to college. It doesn't make the sadness any less, though. Knowing that this is supposed to happen, that it is right that it happens, just means there is less other emotion swirling around on top. Gak. How gloomy I sound. Nothing like a raining spring day to bring out the worst in one.

Nan

With my DDs health and learning issues, we're not sure if college is in her future.

On my worst days, I'm agonizing bc DS is moving on and DD can't.

Argh!

On my best days, I am grateful for what we have for both of them. I need to string a few of the best days together!

I'm so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read your second line ... :laugh:

... but I know what you mean, and I've still got a year to go. :grouphug:

About him being fat?

He was. His rolls had rolls.

Now he is one of those muscular six pack abs guys!

We had senior recognition day at the regional swim meet today. I could see every single mom say to herself, "Where did the years go?" All those years of wet swim suits, running a stop watch, and yelling "go, go" as their breaststroker's head bobbed up and down, screaming for relays, team dinners and coach's gifts--gone in a flash... :grouphug:

We had that for hockey.

He was so little when he started in goal that he fit under the crossbar without ducking.

I remember doing the big spring cleaning of the ride-on toys. And dragging out the bucket of chalk from the garage, pulling out the dried crinkly leaves that landed in the bucket before it was put away for the last time the previous fall...

Oh - I remember that, too. We used to make a big mural on the side of the house for birthday parties. I wonder if I can convince them to do it for youngest's high school graduation party? The older ones are just old enough that they might think it was fun... I still have the sidewalk chalk because I babysit for my nephew and keep thinking we'll use it again. Did you know they have 3-D sidewalk chalk now? (Well, 3D glasses to go with it.)

I found a collection of little home-made boats full of leaves under the lifejackets last week and thought about what those little boats grew into along with my little boys. The boats are SO real, now. Oldest just took off for Alaska with friends in a van with a canoe and kayak on top, towing a motor boat they intend to use to travel 50 miles up a river. When he gets done with that, he'll be back on a giant container ship with engine cylinders so big he can stand inside them.

The leaning, rusty swingset bothers me, even though my nephews were swinging wildly on it the other day, singing at the top of their lungs. We put it up Easter night as a surprise. It was our first and absolutely worst experience with "Some assembly required." There are an astounding number of nuts and bolts are in a swingset. Do you know how hard it is to find them in the dark in the grass, even with a flashlight?

On a more cheerful note, I always miss my littles when I plant the peas. They used to help me with that but I've done it myself for years now. This year, I did it with a friend of my oldest's who is living with us for a bit. She had never planted seeds before!

Nan

About him being fat?

He was. His rolls had rolls.

Now he is one of those muscular six pack abs guys!

You know how you read something you weren't expecting and it just strikes you as funny? My computer screen would have gotten a caffeine boost had I been drinking coffee ...

I sooooooo miss the homeschooling days of the past. When days weren't structured and adventure was just around the corner.

I hope that your daughter finds her path. :grouphug:

Today is dd's last day of high school. I made her stop for a picture on her way out the door :)

We'll be celebrating 13 years of Girl Scouts at a dinner Sunday with her troop and their families. I expect that meal to be a gigantic weep-fest. We've been together since they were tiny kindergartener Daisy Scouts. I will really miss the other moms.

I sat down with my 17yo two days ago and we went through the course lookup and the degree plan that we had printed off with the prerequisite requirements for MOT. She looked up every teacher and decided which ones sounded good and which did not. We mapped out a schedule for 24 hours. One of the classes has only 2 seats left and one of the classes has 18 seats, but was full two weeks ago (students dropped for missing payment deadline). She doesn't know if she'll be able to get into either one of those classes. Her plan is to sign up for 21 hours with the intention of dropping 3-6 credit hours just before the census date. That way she can experience the teachers for herself before being stuck with them for the entire semester. She is VERY excited about two of the classes. She is taking a lit class that is anime-based (as an elective) and a humanities core class that is monster-based (monsters in movies, literature, and art). Her sister just finished the monster class and loved it.

Her orientation is in two weeks and she will be signing up for her classes as part of orientation. She had to get permission from the instructor for the lit class because the humanities class is a prerequisite for it. Then she got into a fairly extensive email conversation with the teacher about various anime/manga they had enjoyed. She's really looking forward to that class, especially since it's an honors class, so there's a limit of 25 students. The regular section of the class filled up very fast, but only honors students can sign up for the honors section, so it still has seats available.