Menu

What is your favorite and least favorite math curriculum for elementary?

avazquez24

Favorites: MEP Reception, Right Start B and the first part of C, then Singapore 2A-7B (so far).

Things I've actually used that I don't care much for: Right Start A (too "spiral") MEP 1 (couldn't silence the nagging voice of doubt as to whether my student was actually making any progress), Singapore 1 (weakest of the Singapore levels IMHO), RS later part of C (don't like the drawing section, too repetitive).

Program that I keep looking at and rejecting as a bad "fit" for my kids: Saxon. The extreme "spiral" format, the complete lack of visual appeal, the need to copy problems from a textbook onto notebook paper rather than working in a consumable worktext, the overly procedural approach, etc.

Love:

Right Start. It just clucks with my dd and the manipulatives are great for her!

Math Mammoth. We use it for extra practice. It's painless and she does it on her own.

Don't love:

MathUSee. My dd did not get it. I didn't feel the videos gave enough explanation. There wasn't enough review. She just could not remember concepts from one week to the next.

We also use MEP as a fun extra over the summer. My dd likes the puzzle type problems.

That's all we've used. We've only completed first grade. I may or may not be a curricula junkie.

I love MEP! And if I could make it work for all my kids it would be perfect. But I have one that thrives on CLE, so I love it because it works for her, though if I had to do it I'd claw my eyes out. :)

I really didn't like Singapore. The answers were patterned in such a way that my kids didn't have to think to fill them in. We didn't get far in it.

Favourite K6: MEP... I love, love, love this program.

I don't really have a least favourite as the programs we've used are all good. DD the Elder tolerated Right Start B, but hated Level C, but she's math adept and it just wasn't going fast enough for her. I switched her to Singapore, not knowing about MEP at the time.

I like SM 2-3, Singapore Essential Math, Miquon, Math Mammoth, and parts of Right Start.

I despise a bunch of books that no one here would use because they are the type of thing one leaves public school for. Math Makes Sense is a Canadian version of Everyday Math or TERC, and it is awful, awful, awful. Interactions, its previous incarnation, was also awful.

I have used Saxon K-3 and I love it. (Throw the tomatoes now everyone!) I loved the spiral, knowing that if we didn't catch on to something at first, it wasn't the end of the world. What I didn't like was that it didn't stress word problems or mental math. I also wished that 5/4 was offered in a workbook format. Other than that, I really like the program, and I really felt it was thorough.

I have used Singapore K-2A. (We started 2B today!) I like that it stressed mental math and word problems. I don't love it, though. I find it frustrating to flip back and forth between the text, the workbook, and the HIG. I wish I understood all the processes better.

I have used Abeka K-1 and Miquon; enjoyed them both but not enough to continue.

In my early researching days, I didn't choose RightStart because of something with counting on the fingers and the way they counted (? I don't remember exactly) and MUS has never appealed to me because I didn't like that the subjects were segregated by year (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) instead of all being integrated together. I didn't like the way they counted, either. I have never used either of those, though.

Thanks everyone!

What is MEP?

ETA: I think I found the site...I did a search on here and found a link.....do you pay anything for it? I'm just confused on that part lol

We currently use MUS, and if we stick with it, could this be added as an enrichment to MUS? I'm thinking esp for ds who seems to be a 'mathy' kid (as I'm figuring out here as we're starting to get into MUS more).

Others also mentioned MAth Mammoth, so I was checking out their site...that appears to maybe line up with MUS?

I'm wondering if that would work as a supplement too?

Would I then purchase the blue series books by topic?

Loves: Miquon and Saxon in the higher grades. I really like 5/4 and I hope the others are as good. I have no interest in Saxon in the lower grades. I like MEP, but not as a stand alone. I'm also some what addicted to math manipulatives of all kinds.

I feel sort of ho hum about Singapore. I've used the K Essentials and I plan on trying to combine SM1 with Miquon, but I just have a niggly feeling that I don't really like it. We'll see.

Dislikes: The only math I've had a chance to hold in my hand and know I would really dislike is MUS.

I forgot about Beast Academy. That's been a big hit here as well. It only has the 3rd grade books at the moment, but they are working on the 4th grade books now. By the time your children need them, they should presumably have the 3rd-5th grade books available.

Okay, so far in our math homeschool journey, I have favorites and dislikes for different grades :)

Kindergarten : BJUP math is awesome.

First through forth : Math U See is a favorite here. The Saxon K-3 was a bust.

Fifth grade - Believe it or not, we tried Saxon 6/5 with the dive and love it!

That's all the grades my kiddos have been in so far. :)

The only math program that I'd call a hands down favorite with both my girls and me is Miquon. I've used it for all 5 girls and enjoyed every minute of math. Then we had to pick a real math program. Bleh!

Math Mammoth would be my 2nd favorite but only one girl has liked it so far.

In addition we've used Saxon, Horizon, MUS, MCP, LOF, Teaching Textbook, Developmental Math. I don't hate any of them nor do I love any of them.

The only thing we have done is Rod and Staff, but I love it, so I haven't wanted to switch. I like how it is mostly mastery and arithmetic in the early ages, making sure they have the basics down in the early years. It does review constantly, and it teaches so incrementally, and they really get stuff. My kids both have learned well with it. When I look at the tests into Saxon for 5th and 6th grade levels, my dd would have been able to test into it after R&S 4th and 5th, so I know it compares well with a more accepted curric. like Saxon by the time it gets to 4th and 5th grades.

Ones I have looked at and do not like: Saxon and MUS. Reasons given above by others for Saxon. I briefly tutored PS kids using it, and it was so weird to me. I don't like the way it jumps around. In the PS I don't like how the kids don't get a text book with explanations to take home, just worksheets. I could look at some of their work and not get what it was asking nor how they wanted it completed sometimes for early elem? that shouldn't be. I don't know how the homeschool works. It might be better in that sense. MUS, I just didn't get the appearance of it. I never really contemplated it because visually I didn't like it :)

We've used Singapore Earlybird and BJU math for kindergarten. Liked both of those.

After kindergarten, I have one child who has done fabulously with Horizons through 5th grade, and we'll continue using Horizons as high as they go (currently pre-algebra).

My other child hit a wall about halfway through Horizons 2, so we switched to MUS. This has been a much better fit for her, so I plan to keep her in MUS for the remainder of our homeschooling days.

I'm very happy with Math Mammoth but not the answer key lol

No, really, I do like MM

I love that everything is one book, it provides lots of practice, word problems and puzzles all in one text. My dd who was apparently failing subtraction in public (everyday math) 1st grade is now a confident "mathy" rising 4th grader from 2 years of MM. I like how it teaches the same concept in many different ways. It teaches mental math and also algebraic thinking.

Last year, I felt it had too much practice but this year, I feel that too much practice has helped them in their accuracy

My boys did Saxon in PS and seemed to like it well enough. At home we started on TT right away with the older, and he/I really like it. With the younger we started with MUS and math was tedious and took hours until we switched to TT. They work a grade level ahead, because I've heard the scope and sequence tends to be behind PS levels and my boys have to participate in standardized tests.

Like: MUS and Singapore

Dislike: Saxon. But my POV is that I grew up on Saxon and it frustrated the heck out of me. That is why I have never chosen it for my kids. I know that it definitely wouldn't work for one of my kids. Could possible for the other, but I'd rather not.

Fascinating thread! I love how some of the hates are other people's likes and vice versa.

Like: JUMP Math, Singapore (only done K - essentials, 2A & B but I love the philosophy), Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 2, Miquon

My only dislike so far has been: Mathematical Reasoning, Level C, which I found had a lot of busywork and "weird" practice

I never really had the chance to use MEP because DD had to be accelerated to a level that challenged her and it would have been difficult with MEP.

But recently I've had to go through some of the lower MEP levels in Spanish and levels 6-9 in English, and I love this program. DD has always enjoyed it, when given a few problems for fun, but I needed to use MM for its efficiency.

We now have a chance to use it in Spanish, although the only available ones are levels 1-4.

I love Beast for giving DD an excitement for math that is rare unless she is reading living math books.

I've only used 2 math curricula and I liked them both for different kids. I've used Horizons, and it works beautifully for my ds who catches on quickly and gets bored easily with pages of drill. Spiral works great for him. Math Mammoth is an amazing mastery curriculum and worked quite well for another ds who, while doing fine with Horizons, really wanted to master a topic before moving on. He really liked Math Mammoth.

Favorites: Rightstart A & B, CLE

Least favorites: Math Mammoth, Rod & Staff

DD loved RS and insisted on doing it daily, but RS C wasn't a good fit. CLE has been good for 3rd grade and up, DD needs spiral and doesn't require a lot of "teaching". MM and R&S didn't have enough review for retention. She doesn't do well with mastery curricula.

Loved Singapore for 1-5, love LoF for 5th-8th so far. DD likes cute and colorful. BA was a win, too, but I'm hard pressed to call it a curriculum choice when it only exists for one grade level. Plus lots of living math books.

DD HATED Saxon with a passion, and I just couldn't get into MEP, even though I know a lot of people think it's great.

For early elementary I have found that I dislike curriculum in general. :D If I had it to do over, I don't know that I would bother with curriculum at all for the arithmetic typically taught in PK-3.

I would want to work on one-to-one correspondence by counting things. I know it sounds silly, but I can't tell you how many parents have told me that their child can count, but the child actually only knew number names. They could say numbers to 10 or 30 or whatever, but they were just words. The child had no idea what the names meant: they could not count cheerios or M&Ms. I would move to counting dots on dice and dominoes and the suite symbols on playing cards.

I would introduce addition/ subtraction as counting using concrete things and also with the dice, dominoes, and cards. I also like hundreds charts and number lines- not on walls but in the child's hands.

I like to teach addition and subtraction together as number groups in number bonds like Singapore or in triangles with the larger number on top and the two smaller numbers underneath side by side.

I like to use c-rods and MUS blocks just to play with and then bringing them in as visual aids for number groups. How many ways can you build a line as long as this c-rod or this MUS block? Adding rows of single digit numbers visually with c-rods or by counting MUS sections. Rearranging the blocks (commutative). Grouping the blocks (associative).

I like to bring the 100s chart back out and find patterns. If the chart is laminated, you can color on it with dry erase markers. Kids get a kick out of finding and counting by 10s and from there going on to count by other numbers. Building those repeated addition patterns by stacking c-rods or blocks against each other rather than in a line or with many dice all turned so that the same number faces up.

These are all fun things that work toward computation. I would also work on learning to read then spell number words.

I would sing the 7 days of the week to the tune of Oh, My Darlin' Clementine and chant the months of the year. We would keep a calendar. (my little magnetic calendar is still up in my kitchen even though my youngest is now 10yo.) We would recite the poem 30 Days Hath September. I like to play with analog clocks and we would both wear analog watches.

We would work on colors and shapes. Lauri Toys carries a primer pack that I used that also has laces that work on fine motor skills. I like playing with wedgits and duplos and magnetic pattern blocks- creating patterns and developing spatial awareness. We had plastic measuring cups and rulers that we played with. We talked about the English system of measurement and metric.

I never had a set time to do math that when that time was over math would be put away. Math is everywhere. How many red cars will there be between home and the library? Put 6 apples in the bag. How many ducks are in the pond? Hey, what number is the little hand on your watch pointing to? And the big hand? And, because math is everywhere and you can just talk about it as you live it without even needing a book, I just don't feel like I would bother with a book. After all they are so little and they don't stay that way for long. They must look at print material to learn to read and write. I had wiggly boys and this was something that we could do without sitting still.

Anyway, I know this isn't everything I did with the little guy, and I added curriculum on top of this. :huh: I just don't know how much those products added to his math knowledge and how much of it was just unnecessary desk work. I am currently feeling that a curriculum was unnecessary, so I don't think I would buy another one. If I suddenly felt the need for some guidance in the way of a scope and sequence of sorts, I would look at the old What Your (blank) Grader Needs to Know.

Once a child mastered his addition/ subtraction facts and was well on his way to mastering his multiplication/ division facts through 12, I would start with the old hardback Saxon 54 second edition. By mastered I do mean immediate recall and not just understanding how to count on his fingers or skip count to the answer. Saxon won't be a good fit for all kids, but it is a good fit for many/ most average to above average kids without special needs. It covers the concepts well and provides enough practice to achieve immediacy. I would use Saxon 54 through 76 or 87 and then move to a high school program. I have no favorites for high school math, so I have no idea where I would go from there.

I am not the forum math guru or even the Saxon guru. I think Ellie is the Saxon guru and we have several people who are very strongly opinionated about math. :) At the end of the day, I truly feel like if what you are using works then don't try to fix it. Also, just because I think that if I had another child I would do xyz doesn't mean that there is no other way. There are plenty of options and what I have said may not be right for you. It may would even end up being wrong for another child of mine.

HTH-

Mandy

This is hard. They did not care for TT and my older DD ASKED to go back to Saxon! I am letting them do math book work now and just piecing it together. One uses a Harcourt text and the other Saxon 7/6. Next year the plan is to go back to TT and supplement on Fridays with something else. For DS(7) I will be switching from Horizons to CLE 2. It is so hard to pick a math program when they hit walls here and there and need something extra in whatever you pick. I have Beast Academy for my son and plan on working that in to see if it works. I got it for DD(9) but that comic format is not appealing to her at all. She is a straight forward get it done kind of gal.

Thought I loved MUS until I found Teaching Textbooks. It's computer based and awesome. My ten year olds LOVE it. I also have them do Xtra Math which is free online and essentially flashcards. Great program.

Also, a friend's homeschooler is in college getting straight A's. And he did Teaching Textbooks throughout.

Alley

I like everything Mandy said except that I do like math curriculum and I have no experience (good or bad) with Saxon, so I can't confirm or dispute that part of her post. (Though a Math college professor acquaintance recommended Saxon math when I asked).

However a lot of our math is just me teaching stuff on the fly. To Mandy's list of stuff to use I would add an abacus, a geared clock (when you move the minute hand the hour hand slowly moves around) and cards with numbers (to play games). Also counting candy or doing any other math stuff with it (then eating it) is a great way to make math VERY INTERESTING to a child. An easy numberline to give to a child is a tape measure.

We use MUS and Singapore and I'm happy with them, but I actually just teach a lot on the fly using math toys. Dr. Wright's Kitchen Table math is good for ideas, explanations of what different age groups should learn.

Like:

RightStart

I think the beginning levels (through half of C) is just the best introduction and foundation I've seen for math. I love how they introduce and really master mental math and concepts before introducing any pencil/paper type material for a particular concept for example. Their approach to place value is just excellent in my opinion.

That said, it was actually a poor fit for me as a teacher. I want to clearly see "the plan" more clearly, and I generally felt unsure of retention with one child particularly. It was also not a great fit for one of my kids though he has some special needs/isn't a typical learner. His attention was often spent after the warm ups or, as he got older, the warm ups and initial introduction of new material. Games, weirdly, weren't his thing either.

My other child thrived with RS though and, when it works, it's pretty fantastic. If I had another child I'd do it again for the approach/foundation. But I still don't think I'd enjoy teaching it.

C-Rods

I wish I had discovered c-rods (so First Grade Diary/Miquon, Education Unboxed site, etc.) when my boys were younger!

Math in Focus

I like the conceptual approach it takes (it's Singapore Math derived), the lack of conceptual leaps you hear about in Singapore, and the word problems integrated throughout. The amount of practice and pacing seems just about right for us. That said, it's easy to adjust pace if I feel we need to move faster or slow down a little. I love how the sequence/presentation is so clear. It's mastery, much like Singapore in nearly all ways, but with a decent amount of review built in. My son loves look/the color in the textbook. You have just a single text (hardcover, full color) and workbook for each semester, so there is no juggling books. I guess, actually, you can purchase supplemental materials, but I haven't found them necessary to this point.

Dislikes--

There is much to love about Singapore/Math in Focus too, but I wish they presented mental math first when introducing a topic. I also think their 1st grade material is inferior to other conceptual options. I don't own their K materials but I assume I would feel the same way about that level.

I keep wanting to love Math Mammoth. I think I would love it actually. My son just can't get over the look--the number of problems per page, plain style, etc. I keep thinking we'll try it at some point. I wish it looked different!

I own some other programs but I didn't really use any of the long enough to form a strong opinion.

I thought I loved MUS. For 10 years I thought I loved MUS. As my kids got older I realized it wasn't the strong foundation I thought it was. I've had to do alot of backtracking and review at the prealgebra/ algebra level. While I don't think standaradized testing is the be all and end all, it did expose serious math weakness in the late elementary/ middle school years. It wasn't that MUS used a different order to cover topics. They were missing concepts that they had covered. I am not saying it is all the fault of MUS but I did make a change when we had enough weak test scores to force me to really look at it. They always got great test scores on MUS tests and flew through MUS but had alot of trouble working on math out of that context.

We've used a variety at the older grades since dropping MUS. Can't say as I found anything I love but their math skills have improved. My 4th grader did MM this year and I have been happy with that. I bought all the downloads so I will plan on sticking with that through elementary. I don't love it but I think that is because after being disappointed by MUS after so many years I'm slow to give my heart away to a math program. :) I don't love the format of the answer key, as someone else mentioned. I don't love the download format. I do feel like it is pretty good though.

Dislike:

We used Mastering Mathematics with my first 3 kids... at least most of the way through, only my 3rd kid finished it. I do like how easy it was to use and I do like it's way of 'mastery'. However there is something missing. My kids oldest two got sick of it about 4th/5th grade and I switched them to Basic College Math to review their arithmatic and go straight into pre-algebra. Then I discovered the holes and their weaknesses in math. My 3rd dc finished it and is also using BCM now... but it's not going as fast as I hoped...

I looked into RightStart math but I just can't stand teaching different things all the time. I still want a mastery approach where we master one concept before moving on to a new lesson.

Like:

I have my 4th dc in Singapore Math PM and I like how it is teaching her. I helps her to really understand. The mental math work is all new to me.. and I can see the benefits of it. I'm glad I switched her to PM.

I also like the RightStart abacus. I use this for manipulative work instead of anything else mainly because we have a toddler around and I don't want to worry about her eating pieces! The abacus shows all the math without this risk. I really liked teaching carrying and borrowing with it.

Liked/Loved:

Loved Saxon K-3, sorta loved 6/7. Loved the script, the repetition, the fact practice, the mental math, the work pages, the manipulatives, the set up, the preparation. We used it a year ahead, and it worked for dd, and gave her an excellent foundation.

DIsliked:

Didn't try Singapore (except one of the K books for preschool--Early Bird, I think). I needed a more hand-holding teacher's guide. I liked the idea of Right Start and MUS, but didn't want to relearn math so I could teach it using their methods.

Ds and Teaching Textbooks not a good fit--it was Geometry and he needed me to explain it by his side, not a computer instructor.

Thought he'd enjoy Jacob's Algebra, but again, he needed a better teacher.

I love Singapore for my mathy 6 yr old. I appreciated that they included multiplication and division in their 1st grade level. We took their introduction and went more deeply with it. I also appreciate the extra practice and word problem books they have.

I have also used Horizons, which I did not like. The spiral was awful.

JUMP Math...I liked the student books, but found the online teacher's guide to be too confusing. Not the content of the guide, but the organization of it.

Same with MEP...too confusing to figure out what goes where and how to organize it.

I am currently using MUS with DD7 (who has dyscalculia). Honestly, I do not like it much at all. I find Steve Demme to be incredibly dry, and I'm disappointed in his video lessons. And so far, I have found no use for the teacher's guide.

But my biggest issue with MUS is the content. It's fine for DD...and I think it would be good for other students with LDs. But for an average or above average math student? I would not use it. Spending an entire book on single digit addition?

Honestly, I can't see how anybody uses MUS with their average or above average students. I find the curriculum to be a great disservice to such students.

Loved CLE for the one 1st grader I used it with. I put another ds into it at 4th and he hated it.

Love Horizons, for K, but only my dd has thrived with it after that point.

I love MUS and how it teaches. My kids are not enthralled with it, but do retain it. I sometimes will explain something a little different way here or there, but overall they GET this method.

Can't stand RightStart, ds cried every time I pulled out all of those manipulatives. I hated the process, and math seemed to take forever.

MM has a good process, but the pages are too visually overwhelming. We do have it all in pdf form, and I use it when I need more practice or a different approach. My kids moan when I pull out a page.

Saxon, meh, gets the job done, but not my first choice.

TT got the job done for a while, then my kids started tuning out the lecture and figured out how to manipulate the system while not really understanding. I do think it is a good program if the parent stays very involved. I also felt that it was behind even with my kids working a grade level ahead.

If I ever have another kid, I will probably use MUS Primer and Horizons K for K. Then, I will do MUS and just make sure that I go through the What your ___ Grader Needs to Know books and teach other skills myself, probably in an unschooly way.