Menu

"Who Benefits from College" - Diane Rehm radio show

MIch elle

"Who Benefits from College" was an excellent discussion: http://thedianerehms...topic/education

Thank you for linking this Michelle! I was in the car and heard about the last 15 minutes of this. I was almost bouncing because it was covering so MANY of the things I had been researching in the past year to put together a session for fellow homeschoolers on "alternatives to 4-year college."

(The thrust of my session was NOT to discourage going for a 4-year degree, but to help families see what options are out there for the MANY students who aren't going to a 4-year college right after high school graduation due to a number of reasons -- lack of finances, not academically ready, burned out on school, have a special opportunity they want to take advantage of, their specific career goal does not require a 4-year degree...)

Part of my interest in this topic has been personal -- both of our DSs are at the community college rather than the university. It is looking more and more like they will both eventually transfer and get a BA, but initially, they were looking at AAS degrees that would allow them to go straight into working. Why we're now looking at the 4-year degree is that one DS's interest in becoming an interpreter for the deaf now requires a BA in order to become nationally certified, and the other DS's field of interest (film and video production) is pretty flat for getting in, so we're thinking a "back up" 4-year degree will broaden his prospects.

Anyways, thanks for linking, Michelle! I am going to try and listen to the whole thing now. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thanks Michelle. I too caught the end of the program yesterday and had intended to listen to it off the Internet. Of course, with a mind that is a sieve, that thought was forgotten on this new day.

Diane's guests are correct, I believe, in the call for more apprenticeships in "hands on" occupations and for greater counseling to help students not only find the appropriate post-secondary program but also in understanding how financial aid works. The drop out rate for college in general and CCs in particular demonstrates that there is a need for continued counseling once students arrive on campus.

Isn't it interesting that two of the most successful talk show hosts on NPR (Diane Rehm and Neal Conan) did not attend college? I wonder if they would be able to get their foot in the door without a degree in today's marketplace?

Isn't it interesting that two of the most successful talk show hosts on NPR (Diane Rehm and Neal Conan) did not attend college? I wonder if they would be able to get their foot in the door without a degree in today's marketplace?

And JJ Sutherland is Neal Conan's nephew, so clearly at least family inspiration helped his career.