Menu

New Common Application for Next Fall

Candid

The homeschool supplement tried to put students into a mold that many did not fit. Given that many of us choose to homeschool in order to develop our kids' gifts, it was just wackadoo to be asked to stuff your kid back in the box. Glad to hear they are doing away with it.

Jane

Thanks! There was a mention in an older thread that the new common App would be no longer printable, but I am glad to see that student will still be able to submit paper copies.

If I'm reading this memo correctly, it says that counselors & teachers will be able to submit paper copies of their info. It doesn't say that students will be able to submit their portion on paper.

Brenda

If I'm reading this memo correctly, it says that counselors & teachers will be able to submit paper copies of their info. It doesn't say that students will be able to submit their portion on paper.

Brenda

Correct. I had understood the previous information to mean that the plan was to disable any printing of stuff. I am glad to have the option to submit on paper the auxilliary materials that I as a counselor want to use in oder to explain our homeschooling better.

Brenda

:iagree:

This is a quote from the Common Application website:

Will the print/paper version of the application still be available?

"CA4 will be an online-only application. The application will no longer be available in paper form or

as a downloadable document for mailing. Students can still print-preview an application, but the

print-preview must not be mailed to a college. The print-preview shown to the student will be

identical to the document that colleges will see. "

If I am reading it correctly, it looks like we can send in a hard copy of the homeschool profile, transcript, etc. Is that right?

:iagree:

This is a quote from the Common Application website:

Will the print/paper version of the application still be available?

"CA4 will be an online-only application. The application will no longer be available in paper form or

as a downloadable document for mailing. Students can still print-preview an application, but the

print-preview must not be mailed to a college. The print-preview shown to the student will be

identical to the document that colleges will see. "

If I am reading it correctly, it looks like we can send in a hard copy of the homeschool profile, transcript, etc. Is that right?

In other words, you must give all your student's information to us?

I didn't use the paper version because of this, but it did occur to me that that was quite the data bank they were collecting.

On the other hand, I suppose we do it for FAFSA and we do it for the college boards anyway (although there, we didn't bother to fill out any of the extraneous college-matching info, just because nobody seemed to have time to do it). I understand why the college board people want pictures, but I found the idea of submitting a photo rather creepy and was glad my last child took his (hopefully) last exam before that policy went into effect.

I'm not at all anti-technology, but I know enough about how companies and technology work to wonder about where the information is going and to what use it is being put, either deliberately or inadvertantly.

Probably I'm just baulking because I'm old fashioned. We are probably entering an era where the concept of privacy is going to be redefined, especially as search engines and sorting abilites improve. So far, the sheer quantity of data has maintained at least the illusion of privacy.

Nan

Oh - and I'm glad the homeschooling suppliment is gone. It was a flop here. The schools that had their own version of a homeschooling suppliment did a better job. I agree with Jane about those boxes.