Menu

sonlight core d bizarre history

I had all but decided on using sonlight next year until I read these statements in the sample instructor guide. These refer to AMERICAN history:

325-250 BC - carthaginian trade; exports: lumbar, gold, and furs

250-100 BC - coins issues, north america mapped

100 BC- 400 AD - Roman traders active in America, Roman currency adopted

69 AD - Jews settle Kentucky and Tennessee

132 AD - second wave of Hebrew refugee

450 AD - flight of north African christians to America

500 AD - Libyan science and mathematics flourish in west North America

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have there been a whole bunch of discoveries or theories that are now accepted as fact? I'm honestly asking because I'm not one to keep up on things like this and am going by what I learned as a child in school as well as college (as a history and anthropology major). I haven't been in college for nearly a decade and it's possible understandings of things have changed and what were theories before are now considered facts.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a footnote at the bottom of the chart where the dates are listed in the Sonlight sample:

"This chart has been adapted from a chart found on the inside cover of FellĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Saga America. Ă¢â‚¬Å“The dating,Ă¢â‚¬ says Fell, Ă¢â‚¬Å“is based on coins, inscriptions, and tree-ring analysis.Ă¢â‚¬ Remember, these are Ă¢â‚¬Å“representativeĂ¢â‚¬ dates. For example, in AD 69 it is hard to prove or disprove FellĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s claim that Jews settled Kentucky and Tennessee. Other dates are fairly well-established."

It's from a section of the instructor's guide giving dates and events in a chart form for parents to see. Even with the disclaimer it still seems strange. Even if the 69 AD 'fact' is discounted as refutable there are still quite a few oddball things that are claimed to be factual with 'well established dates'.

Rethinkng the whole year....

Read the link above--Fells has been summarily disproved, discounted, and disbelieved for a LONG time. He takes what is fact and spins it to fit his belief. The fact that Sonlight is trying to account for him by that disclaimer makes me thankful I decided against Sonlight this coming year. Those "facts" are not just wrong, they are entirely, absolutely, most sincerely wrong.

Does anyone who has used core d know if this chart (or others like it) are a big part of the curriculum? I can't tell from the sample if it's just that one chart in one place or if it's something that is used again or has quizzes based on it.

I used Core D in 2011 and don't remember seeing this chart. If it was there we didn't use it. I looked at the current IG sample and this is used in week 2. If you were to use Sonlight, you don't have to use everything in the IG. I think this is not a major portion of the Core. I loved SL Core D. It has been one of our favorite Cores.

I used Core D in 2011 and don't remember seeing this chart. If it was there we didn't use it. I looked at the current IG sample and this is used in week 2. If you were to use Sonlight, you don't have to use everything in the IG. I think this is not a major portion of the Core. I loved SL Core D. It has been one of our favorite Cores.

This isn't a knock on you, I promise. I guess my question would be--why would anyone want to use any curriculum that gets the science or the history that wrong, even if that isn't a majority of the curriculum? KWIM? It makes me question the rest of the curriculum and wonder what they were thinking when they accepted that little bit.

None of the books used talk about it, and I don't remember that chart. I remember reading some parent notes about the 10 commandments found in some ancient native American stuff... maybe in Canada? I can't remember. It was parent notes though. The actual books the child and/or parent didn't mention them. I don't use the IG notes. I just use the schedule and books (though with the 2012 addition of those heavily providential books, I would skip those couple books, which are 5-day only books).

I've been happy with my 2005 core D this year. I just don't use the notes.

This isn't a knock on you, I promise. I guess my question would be--why would anyone want to use any curriculum that gets the science or the history that wrong, even if that isn't a majority of the curriculum? KWIM? It makes me question the rest of the curriculum and wonder what they were thinking when they accepted that little bit.

I wouldn't. Just one more example to add to the pile of reasons I'm glad we don't use Sonlight anymore. The pile's getting big...

Okay, I read the IG sample http://www.sonlight.com/attachments/DCG/DCG-3-week-sample.pdf

John Holzmann's notes on this are on pages 15-17 and the chart OP references is on page 25. Wow, just wow. I really shouldn't be surprised given the level of scholarship that I found out we are dealing with in the slavery and Sonlight thread, but I just can't believe people pass over crap like this and continue to purchase from them because they have some good books or a handy schedule.

This.

I buy secular curriculum, but I was curious to see what was up on this thread. That said - I wouldn't buy any secular or non-secular curriculum if it included something like this. It makes the rest of info in the curriculum suspect - in addition to a number of other red lights it would set off....

oh geez... I was hoping the other thread was the last time I would have to think about Sonlight and history.

He honestly quotes from Barry Fell? I don't even.... :svengo:

Why, oh why, does Sonlight flirt with "underground" history like this? Not even the History channel takes this stuff seriously.

"Other dates are fairly well established." Like what? "Libyan science and mathematics flourishes in west North America" in AD 500?

Is it because people only 150 years ago thought the Native Americans came from Egypt, and it was only the evolutionists who came up with the Bering Straight theory?

Yes, there are problems with the old Bering Straight theory, which is why research in the past few decades have come up with better explanations. None of which have anything to do with "Christian Celts in the West" of America in AD 700!

I don't see the Welsh mentioned anywhere. Everyone knows that the Indian tribes along the lower Mississippi were Welsh! :toetap05:

I suspect that someone at Sonlight has been watching a few too many episodes of America Unearthed. Maybe they could round things out with some scholarship from Ancient Aliens.

It's funny you say this. I actually love watching that show and Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theory Show. It's so much fun to sit there and roll my eyes and laugh at the things they come up with. :D

Well, we no longer going to be using Sonlight for many, many reasons, but that is definitely not in our version of Core D (which is from 2011). Granted I never used the notes when we were doing Core D (just the schedule), but I'm looking through my 2011 Instructor's Guide and I can't find that chart anywhere.

Are these new additions to Core D from when it was changed in 2012? Is this more of Sarita's handiwork perhaps?

Well, we no longer going to be using Sonlight for many, many reasons, but that is definitely not in our version of Core D (which is from 2011). Granted I never used the notes when we were doing Core D (just the schedule), but I'm looking through my 2011 Instructor's Guide and I can't find that chart anywhere.

Are these new additions to Core D from when it was changed in 2012? Is this more of Sarita's handiwork perhaps?

If you look at the IG sample I linked, the note is signed on page 17 of the IG with "-John Holzmann." I have no idea when this made it into the IG. I don't recall anyone mentioning it last year.

If you look at the IG sample I linked, the note is signed on page 17 of the IG with "-John Holzmann." I have no idea when this made it into the IG. I don't recall anyone mentioning it last year.

Eh, do you think John will come back on here to discuss this? :)

Okay, I read the IG sample http://www.sonlight....week-sample.pdf

John Holzmann's notes on this are on pages

15-17 and the chart OP references is on page 25. Wow, just wow. I really shouldn't be surprised given the level of scholarship that I found out we are dealing with in the slavery and Sonlight thread, but I just can't believe people pass over crap like this and continue to purchase from them because they have some good books or a handy schedule.

Good books and a handy schedule are very valuable to me as a busy homeschooling mom. People continue to buy because Sonlight is still unique in the market. I've looked at several other similar options and always found them lacking something I liked about Sonlight's book choices or scheduling approach. Since reading threads like this one, I will be reading the notes with a significantly more critical eye, but the books and schedule are still of great value to me.

Maybe they like country music?

:lol: (I'm totally kidding.)

This is the first time I ever heard of this half baked history theory. It's so amusing I might just have to read that guy's book.

My husband is a Jew, living in KY ... I have caught him listening to country music, I thought it was just since Hootie (minus the Blowfish) started singing country.... *lightbulb* things are starting to make so much more sense now. It must be what his people do.

Good books and a handy schedule are very valuable to me as a busy homeschooling mom. People continue to buy because Sonlight is still unique in the market. I've looked at several other similar options and always found them lacking something I liked about Sonlight's book choices or scheduling approach. Since reading threads like this one, I will be reading the notes with a significantly more critical eye, but the books and schedule are still of great value to me.

This makes a lot of sense. I've been thinking about it all day. Even after finding this chart I might still use sonlight. I need something with books, a schedule, discussion questions, etc. already done and sonlight is literally the only program I've found that fits. If we use it I'll definitely question and look into anything that seems incorrect but maybe it's worth that small hassle. I've always written my own schedule using books and resources that I've picked individually but I need something ready to go. For some families if there is no 'open and go' option the kids will be in school.

We all have priorities and I don't consider some of these issues to really be that big of a deal. Infact, I am completely mystified by all these comments. I don't see the big deal at all. I don't consider history to be very factual. The most important thing I want my children to learn from history is humanities. Humanities is the main reason I chose Sonlight and teach history. The basic, factual information has it's place; but not nearly as important for my children as it is to learn about what it was like to be a Jew during the Holocaust, or a black American during the Civil War. Through historical fiction my children can really feel and understand and sense. Talking to my child about these important topics not in terms of factual information but in terms of how they affect us as people, what we can learn from our history is important to me. I also think teaching humanities through history teaches people empathy and compassion for other people. It can also encourage people to do remarkable things because history has the best heroes! With Sonlight we have the most remarkable, engaging and beautiful discussions. Personally, I can't imagine anyone using anything else. I have been homeschooling for 13 years and it is a wonderful curriculum and we have tried many. I think it really depends on priorities for your homeschool. For me all these things being mentioned are quite trivial.

When you say "isn't a majority of the curriculum" you pass this off as not important, but that's exactly what I am saying. In my opinion these things are quite minor and the pros of what we get from Sonlight far outweigh any of these minor issues.

Now, I could just come up with my own book lists and organize all of this on my own. Kudos to those of you who do. But the schedule and everything planned out for me is a huge benefit. It gives me more time to teach and spend time with my kids. I have been using Sonlight for many years. I certainly have issues with certain things but they are all minor compared to the immense benefit Sonlight gives our family and our school.

I don't read the parent notes(usually) because I have preread or am currently reading the books aloud. I sometimes use the comp questions or assign one of the cultural literacy questions-like today for A Little Princess-the question was" Why is London foggy?" DD does research and I help her answer. I always use the timeline and mapping. This is why I use Sonlight. It is all there. Done for me the way I would do it if I had time.

Have I had issues at times with book choices, notes, etc? YES! But I would have that with any curriculum I chose-too secular, too non-secular, whatever. I can not write it all myself.

This must be something new in the 2012 edition of the IG. It's definitely not in my 2011 guide.

I agree. I purchased Sonlight in the past, because I needed someone else to do the legwork for me. My mother died and I was so busy with handling her (very messy & complicated) estate that I just couldn't do all the work on my own. There are no secular options that can substitute for the Sonlight-style approach to history & literature. I will now be planning & organizing (secular) history and literature on my own since there aren't really any other options. It's a lot to spend for a schedule of books (when that's all you use from the IG), but Sonlight really helped fill that gap when I couldn't spend so much time on planning due to other life issues.

We all have priorities and I don't consider some of these issues to really be that big of a deal. Infact, I am completely mystified by all these comments. I don't see the big deal at all. I don't consider history to be very factual. The most important thing I want my children to learn from history is humanities. Humanities is the main reason I chose Sonlight and teach history. The basic, factual information has it's place; but not nearly as important for my children as it is to learn about what it was like to be a Jew during the Holocaust, or a black American during the Civil War. Through historical fiction my children can really feel and understand and sense. Talking to my child about these important topics not in terms of factual information but in terms of how they affect us as people, what we can learn from our history is important to me. I also think teaching humanities through history teaches people empathy and compassion for other people. It can also encourage people to do remarkable things because history has the best heroes! With Sonlight we have the most remarkable, engaging and beautiful discussions. Personally, I can't imagine anyone using anything else. I have been homeschooling for 13 years and it is a wonderful curriculum and we have tried many. I think it really depends on priorities for your homeschool. For me all these things being mentioned are quite trivial.

Please correct me if I misunderstand. Are you saying that teaching the facts of history is not important to you? I do not understand your comment of "I don't consider history to be very factual". How did you reach this conclusion with all of the information that is out there--actual documentation backing up these things you deny as being factual?

I totally understand teaching the Humanities side of history but I don't understand NOT teaching the historical side of history. It brings to mind "those who do not learn from it are doomed to repeat it". Learning what it was like to be a Jew during the Holocaust is important, but not as important as learning what caused the holocaust, why it was allowed to get as far as it did, and all the major and minor people involved in the Holocaust.

Yeah, I do think your and my priorities are on opposite ends.

I'm in the camp that thinks this is weird, but not a reason to reject Sonlight. I remember moving in the middle of 3rd grade and being taught history that was opposite in the new place. Actually, now that I think of it, it was American History. If I were to teach this Core, I would probably show the table to my kid, and then discuss why you should never just accept what it is said/written. I also plan to include "Lies my teacher taught" (going by memory, but if you've read it, you will recognize it) What ends up in History books seems to have at least as much to do with the conditions it was written in, then the facts.

Of course I want my child to get facts as correct as can be known. But, I also want her to develop a "this doesn't smell right" meter, and look into things when the meter goes off.

I have Core D from 2006 (when it was called Core 3) and thoroughly enjoy all aspects of it. Nothing of this sort was ever presented, at all.

Seems more and more lately there are strange things afoot at Sonlight, which saddens me greatly, as it has been a stellar company for so long.

Makes me wonder if there's been a 'change in command' recently.

I'm in the camp that thinks this is weird, but not a reason to reject Sonlight. I remember moving in the middle of 3rd grade and being taught history that was opposite in the new place. Actually, now that I think of it, it was American History. If I were to teach this Core, I would probably show the table to my kid, and then discuss why you should never just accept what it is said/written. I also plan to include "Lies my teacher taught" (going by memory, but if you've read it, you will recognize it) What ends up in History books seems to have at least as much to do with the conditions it was written in, then the facts.

Of course I want my child to get facts as correct as can be known. But, I also want her to develop a "this doesn't smell right" meter, and look into things when the meter goes off.

All admirable things to teach. Important, even. The OP doesn't smell right, therefore, after further research proving why it smells bad, we've decided to summarily dismiss it. I think it is a very good reason to dismiss something.

I teach from textbooks--something homeschoolers frown upon. I've yet to encounter this bias in textbook some homeschoolers claim exist. Everything in our current text I can search for on the internet and get more information on. Information that backs up and supports what was written.

Now a bias I have seen are in textbooks that have been adopted with a creation slant (though to be fair, these books are in review process again). Otherwise, no public school text I've encountered has this evil bias I hear spoken.

Teaching your kids to review things with a discerning eye is one thing; teaching them to outright dismiss the facts because you (general you) think they are all lies is entirely another.

It does have a tiny footnote at the bottom stating that these dates are "representative," that it is hard to prove or disprove Fell's claim that Jews settled in Kentucky and Tennessee. It even says the dates are "fairly well-established." It seems they want to point out that these are not hard and true facts, and they aren't attempting to fool anyone with them.

It does have a tiny footnote at the bottom stating that these dates are "representative," that it is hard to prove or disprove Fell's claim that Jews settled in Kentucky and Tennessee. It even says the dates are "fairly well-established." It seems they want to point out that these are not hard and true facts, and they aren't attempting to fool anyone with them.

Please see the link in an earlier post above (not by me). Someone already linked to a (Christian) website that thoroughly debunks Fell and offers up hard proof as to why Fell's beliefs are not even remotely possible.

Sorry, I find this equivalent to adding in notes about ancient aliens building pyramids, citing a "source," and then saying that the dates for the alien visitations are "representative." Actually, they only mention the Jews in KY/TN as being hard to prove or disprove. The rest they claim is "fairly well established." They're attempting to give an air of legitimacy to quackery.

It sounds like they might be throwing a bone to Mormons by including this dating with a note. Or maybe they are, as some say, just into giving examples of controversial history. Did they say the Chinese discovered America? Anything about crystal skulls or lost cities of the Amazon?

We all have priorities and I don't consider some of these issues to really be that big of a deal. Infact, I am completely mystified by all these comments. I don't see the big deal at all. I don't consider history to be very factual.

If the curriculum isn't based on facts, what is it based on? I would rather have my children read about the life of a European Jew during World War II than a Jew living in Kentucky in the year 64 or whatever. But then, I guess it depends what one means by "historical fiction."

There is no reason that factual information is at odds with showing the human stories and depth of history.

I place the veracity of this timeline about par with the veracity of people claiming George Washington was an alien. People can say whatever they want, but that doesn't make it plausible or true.

When you say "isn't a majority of the curriculum" you pass this off as not important, but that's exactly what I am saying. In my opinion these things are quite minor and the pros of what we get from Sonlight far outweigh any of these minor issues.

Now, I could just come up with my own book lists and organize all of this on my own. Kudos to those of you who do. But the schedule and everything planned out for me is a huge benefit. It gives me more time to teach and spend time with my kids. I have been using Sonlight for many years. I certainly have issues with certain things but they are all minor compared to the immense benefit Sonlight gives our family and our school.

The factual bits are the context that often make sense of the "feelings" stuff. How do you undererstand the sequence of events, and so the full tradgedy, that led to an event like the Holocaust without the facts? How do you make connections across time and geography withour facts? If you beleive Jews were in North America 2000 years ago might that not shape who you viewed had a "true" claim on this continent and perhaps lesson the "feeling" bit when you're covering the treatment of Native Americans because hey, Europeans were just exercising a prior claim.

I don't understand your view.

I keep trying to figure out how to respond to this post because I find myself completely mystified by this position. History deals with actual past events, not made up ones. That's why it's a big deal. The rest of your post has nothing at all to do with what is being discussed. One can study the "human" side of history without compromising on the facts. To insinuate that those who teach their children only about events that are accepted by scholars in history, anthropology, linguistics, etc., as having actually occurred don't impart any sort of knowledge as to how those people felt is outrageous.

I'm so glad to know I am not alone in being mystified by the one post. It astounds me what some believe or teach their children to believe, especially given this is History and the facts are out there, verified and validated.

Eons ago, SL included the books/notes (the Lamplighter books?), with extensive notes from John. Then they removed them, on John's doing. He felt, at that time, he just couldn't continue using them because of all the inaccuracies.

Then, in 2012 catalog year, Sarita & the powers currently mutilating running SL, decided that really the Christian focus of the Lamplighter books was more important than accurate history, and so the reinserted them into Core D & E (or 3 & 4, or whatever the heck they now call them). I *believe* the notes of John's, then, are the ones from when they used these books eons ago, NOT new notes that John wrote.

This was the thing that led me to just completely and utterly walk away from SL; I'd been sort of weaning myself off them for a while, buying from them only what I absolutely had to, but when they pulled this......yea, final straw.

I am also still working with ancient SL IG's which thankfully do not have these oddities or agendas. I just want to post that here since I occasionally reference SL as part of my children's homeschooling experience, so if anybody ever searches my name for post about Sonlight they will see that I don't mean *this* Sonlight. I used the Sonlight of 2004-05 and thereabouts.

Okay, I read the IG sample http://www.sonlight....week-sample.pdf

John Holzmann's notes on this are on pages 15-17 and the chart OP references is on page 25. Wow, just wow. I really shouldn't be surprised given the level of scholarship that I found out we are dealing with in the slavery and Sonlight thread, but I just can't believe people pass over crap like this and continue to purchase from them because they have some good books or a handy schedule.

Yes, I think it's bizarre that SL would include these things, and it gives me pause on the rest of their notes, but there is no reason to attack someone's decision to use this curriculum. It seems you have a bone to pick with SL, but the accusations mystify me. Who cares if someone else chooses to use something that you dislike? I can see why you are incensed about the inaccuracies displayed in this, but the "can't believe people pass over crap like this..." is just condescending.