Menu

Do you put CLEP on transcript?

My boys would like to take the Government CLEP. They have been very involved in government, debate, moot court, etc... so I think they can do well on it. But, do I put it on their high school transcripts? If so, how? They need a high school government credit.

My boys would like to take the Government CLEP. They have been very involved in government, debate, moot court, etc... so I think they can do well on it. But, do I put it on their high school transcripts? If so, how? They need a high school government credit.

Disclaimer: no expert here, and you'll want to verify with your own research with what your state regs are, and what the colleges your DSs want to attend want to see on a transcript, BUT....

From what bits and pieces I find through google searching it looks like if you are a homeschooler, yes, this works -- esp. as you have the activities of the gov't, debate, moot court) to back the hours towards a 0.5 credit.

The only issues I see that were flagged re: counting the CLEP towards HIGH SCHOOL credit are:

- If your DSs at any point re-enter a brick & mortar high school, there is a chance the CLEP will not be accepted in lieu of credit -- fortunately, you have the hours with the other activities to back your credit claim, and the CLEP would then most likely act as confirmation of understanding course material. (Apparently, due to potential lawsuits, schools count credits by hours in classroom and so do not accept things like CLEP in lieu of hours.)

- If your DSs want to ALSO take the Government AP test you can NOT apply BOTH the AP and the CLEP -- you would have to choose.

The only other potential concerns I see are the usual ones involved with CLEP, such as not all universities grant credit for CLEP (so it's good to know in advance if where your students want to go will accept it or not). And only credit is awarded for CLEP, no grade, so if the college program requires a GPA for classes in the degree area, then, while the student may receive credit, it may not count towards a specific course towards the college degree. As always, you have research and check with the school(s) of interest.

So, unless someone else can jump in here with more info than the very limited little bit I have (lol), as far as your homeschool transcript goes, it looks to me like you are "good to go" to include Gov't as 0.5 credit and be sure to make a note somewhere on the transcript of the CLEP college credit, granted by the college administering the CLEP.

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...