Menu

What do you think of HOD Beyond for first grade? How does it compare to MFW 1st?

amselby81

Just curious. I hadn't really looked into HOD until today. I think my DD would be ready for Beyond. I was pretty set on using MFW for next year, but now I'm second guessing myself. I already have Math U See Alpha for next year, and I was going to use that on top of MFW 1st. I already bought some phonics books for next year too, but I was going to hang onto them for extra practice. It looks like HOD might be more flesible, and I could use the stuff I already have instead of their suggestions for phonics and math.

I wanted to get MFW for next year because I feel I need my lessons already planned out for me. I intended to plan my own lessons this year, but I lacked the organization and motivation, so we have just been plugging away with worksheets. I want to do more hands on activities that go along with our lessons, and MFW looked like it fit the bill. But will HOD fit that bill too? By the way, what educational style is HOD? Is it Classical, Charlotte Mason, a mix, etc?

Thanks a bunch!

HOD is very Charlotte Mason in style, where MFW is more of a mix of Unit Study, Classical, with some Charlotte Mason (if you use there recommendations). Both offer activities though quite different from each other in types of activities. MFW will have worksheets much more than HOD.

HOD is very Charlotte Mason in style, where MFW is more of a mix of Unit Study, Classical, with some Charlotte Mason (if you use there recommendations). Both offer activities though quite different from each other in types of activities. MFW will have worksheets much more than HOD.

And yet....MFW has very few worksheets other than the phonics workbook and Bible story summaries in 1st. There is a fun timeline though. :)

Beyond has longer readings...We haven't used MFW, but I recall it having lots of picture books. Beyond uses short readings from chapter books (we just a few pictures). I used it when my DC were 6 and 8, and the 8yo got more from the readings. They did both enjoy all the activities though.

I hate being so indecisive! I have a feeling that we will be happy with either program. That does NOT help me. Haha! :p Now I wonder if we were to do HOD, whether I should do the Little Hearts one that comes before Beyond. I think she could handle Beyond, and it would challenge her just enough, but I wouldn't want to mess with tweeking future years, just so she doesn't get to Preparing too early.

To be honest, I think I'm still leaning toward MFW, but I looked both up on HomeSchoolReviews.com and I couldn't help but notice that MFW had a lot more negative reviews than HOD. I'm trying to keep in mind that most of the negative reviews are from people who were dissatisfied with MFWK. Some people were also dissatisfied with MFW 1st too, and I am trying to keep in mind that MFW has revised their 1st grade since those reviews were written.

My mind is spinning! And then there's also a part of me that wants to just ride Classical Conversations this year, and focus mainly on LA and math, and just read SOTW and other historical books. But I tried that this year, and I wanted something more interesting. That's why I am looking at fuller curricula.

ARGH!

Hi, I'm planning on using HOD for my K'er this year. I was in the same situation. Had the most difficult time deciding between HOD and MFW for months. They are both wonderful programs! I think people get stuck between these two alot because they are similiar and yet different enough so it makes it a tough choice. Really I think you can't go wrong either way.

I'm also with you on not getting my daughter to Preparing too early if we decide to stick with HOD so I'm actually starting her in little hands for Bible and the activities with appropriate kindergarten math,reading, writing to beef it up as I think I'd prefer her in little hearts for first grade. I think it's easier to beef something up instead of scaling back. If you decide to go with beyond you could always go half speed (I've read alot of HOD mama's do this) or go with Little Hearts and beef it up if you think she needs it. I'm sure I haven't helped much just thinking out loud :001_smile: