Menu

Intemediate Language lessons users ???s

3and3

I have a dd that is 12yo but working on about 4/5th grade level (She is a struggling learner w/dyslexia). From what I have read it covers 3 years and according to what I have read you cover a 1/3 of the book each year. But that would mean that my dd would be in the 2nd or 3rd section in the fall.

So my question is can I start her in the 2nd or 3rd part of the book or does it build on itself? I have no problem with her starting at the beginning but just wondering if it is necessary. Also, will she need to have a seperate grammer or writing program? Her writing and grammer skills are not up to par she has used Editor in chief and most of R& S english this year but has not done very well.

TIA

We went through the whole ILL book this year, picking and choosing assignments that looked interesting. I did add a grammar program: Daily Grammar Practice. ILL was a great fit for my dd, but I have a couple warnings for your situation. It is very random (there is no rhyme or reason to the assignments) and gives virtually no scaffolding. We liked it because it always felt fresh and my dd is a natural writer. It might drive some kids or parents crazy. HTH! I'm not sure ILL is a great fit for the child you described, but I really don't have any other advice.

• 11 months later...

We went through the whole ILL book this year, picking and choosing assignments that looked interesting. I did add a grammar program: Daily Grammar Practice. ILL was a great fit for my dd, but I have a couple warnings for your situation. It is very random (there is no rhyme or reason to the assignments) and gives virtually no scaffolding. We liked it because it always felt fresh and my dd is a natural writer. It might drive some kids or parents crazy. HTH! I'm not sure ILL is a great fit for the child you described, but I really don't have any other advice.

I know this is an old thread, but TracyP, just in case you see this:  this is exactly the combination that I was considering for this fall.  We have started ILL and like it, but I wanted to add a little more systematic grammar to it.  Did this combo. work well in your opinion?

I was considering just getting the student book for DGP.  

Yes, it worked very well. Systematic grammar is the one thing I found lacking in ILL. We went to WWS and Climbing to Good English this year. The switch from ILL to WWS was a good one for us, but in hindsight I should have stuck with DGP. My dd got very little out of CTGE compared to DGP and she spent 3 times as long on it per day.

I can't comment on just using the student book. I used just the teacher's book, and had my dd copy the sentence correctly into her notebook. This was my one beef with the program - I didn't like the idea of my dd working from an incorrect (i.e. not capitalized or punctuated) model all week, ymmv.

Yes, it worked very well. Systematic grammar is the one thing I found lacking in ILL. We went to WWS and Climbing to Good English this year. The switch from ILL to WWS was a good one for us, but in hindsight I should have stuck with DGP. My dd got very little out of CTGE compared to DGP and she spent 3 times as long on it per day.

I can't comment on just using the student book. I used just the teacher's book, and had my dd copy the sentence correctly into her notebook. This was my one beef with the program - I didn't like the idea of my dd working from an incorrect (i.e. not capitalized or punctuated) model all week, ymmv.

Good point.  My reason was purely financial. :)