Menu

Inexpensive, mailable Mother's Day gifts?

athena1277

I have no idea what to get my mom or MIL for Mother's Day. Neither collects anything or has any hobbies that we could buy something for. Both live about 1000 miles away, so it limits what we can do. I was thinking of having the kids make something, but I have no idea what. Any ideas?

one of the favourite of all time gifts here was a few years ago when dd made matching pillow cases, and asked a friend to use her sewing machine to embroider names on them. she enclosed a little note to each grandma saying that now they could sleep on matching pillowcases with her. it was sweet, and very meaningfull, and the fabric didn't cost much at all.

i buy two tea cups and keep one and send the other one with some tea to my mom so we can have tea together.

another thing the grandmas loved were the years when we had the kids lie down with outstretched arms on paper and traced out "hugs" and sent them off with whatever else we'd chosen.

flower bulbs are something else that they've loved over time.

we've also made glycerin soap and had great fun doing that.

in our experience, most grandmas love anything grandchildren make.

hope that gets the ideas going :)

ann

Last year I made a very inexpensive ($4 with a coupon I think) photo album on clark.com of our pix from just the previous year. Clark shipped it to my mil. She loved it. It only took me one evening. I literally imported the photos and let their software drop them in place and hit print. First I created a folder on my computer of "best of 2011" photos. Then I imported them. This made it easy. I should do it again for 2012 pics!

One year I traced my kids hands with disappearing ink on material and did a simple Embroid stitch outlining each hand. I then trimmed all the fabric on the hoop and mailed it. I did chose a decorative embroidery hoop. I really don't know how to embroider, but was able to find how to do a simple stitch on YouTube!

We are doing photo ceramic mugs from Shutterfly this year. They're on sale right now, $12 each or something like that. I'm pretty sure you can have them shipped directly to the grandmothers. We'll probably go ahead and get ones for the grandpas as well while we're at it. They have all kinds of designs to choose from.

8 x 10 (or larger) photo collage. You can make them online at walgreens.com (for example). You can even have the order delivered to the Walgreens closest to their house and prepay the order.

There are many other photo gift products. An easy choice.