Menu

Easy readers/early chapter books in German

DD has been doing Duolingo (wonderful program BTW!) and I'd like to get her some easy to read books to work on also. The vocabulary in picture books is too hard so I was thinking about early readers but I don't know any series to look for on amazon.de. Same with early chapter books - something along the difficulty level of Magic Tree House or Henry and Mduge in German.

Danke!

Have you tried the Leserabe for first grade? I know that I was just perusing for "early readers" a while back (not that my son is anywhere close, but...) and I found that there are "early readers" in German, but they're nothing like "early readers" are here, where we have two to four words on a page, and they don't make full sentences most of the time. My guess (I've no idea if this is actually true) was that it was because most Germans do learn to read in school (as opposed to earlier), and the language is just so phonetic, that once they know the basics of reading, they can jump right into text that's much more advanced than our early readers. Just a guess, though. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...