Menu

nutrasweet ~ aspartame, artificial sweetener help

Tammyla

Does anyone remember the list of the different names for aspartame or nutrasweet (as well as other artificial sweeteners) in drinks and foods.

I've done a board search and a google, but I'm not getting a list. I'd be happy to compile a list is any of you have names of them.

I'm also interested in different reactions anyone has had to going off diet sweeteners. I need something other than my memory for a family member.

I don't have a list of names. We avoid anything that doesn't have sugar as an ingredient. Sometimes we will allow HFCS, but not often.

As for reactions when a person no longer uses artificial sweeteners, well, dh got his mind back. The irrational anger, ADD symptoms and stupidity are not a problem any more.

Nutrasweet and aspartame are the same thing. Nutrasweet is the brand name.

Similarly, Splenda is the brand name for sucralose (which is not the same thing as sucrose, which just plain sugar).

Other artificial sweeteners include acesulfame potassium and saccharin (brand name Sweet n' Low).

Our family also finds it necessary to avoid artificial and "natural" flavors, food dyes, and preservatives.

Sorbitol

Mannitol

Glycerol

Acesulfame potassium...Sunett, Sweet One

Aspartame...Neutrasweet, Aminosweet

Cyclamate

Isomalt

Saccharin...Equal, Sweet N Low, Sweet Twin, Necta Sweet

Sucralose...Splenda

Alitame

Thaumatin

Neohesperidine dihydrochalcone ...Neotame

Aspartame-acesulfame salt

Maltitol

Lactitol

Xylitol

Erythritol

List taken from this site: http://supersweetblo...ial-sweeteners/

HTH!

It's wonderful! I'm quoting and saving it for reference, and I've added a few brandnames.

Yes, I know the they are the same thing, but unfortunately the non-name-brand goes by a number of other things on packages. I'm looking for a list of all artificial sweeteners; I so wish I'd saved the link or list from the board.

None of the sweeteners listed above (except of course aspartame and possibly aspartame-acesulfame salt) are the same thing as Nutrasweet. As far as I know, the only other name for aspartame is AminoSweet. The sweeteners listed are all different in their composition and in their effects. I do think it's a good thing to avoid them all, however! :)