Menu

Kid getting ortho braces tomorrow

welovetoread

Yes, have some ibuprofen on hand for the first day or two. My dd's both had discomfort when getting braces and the first few visits as heavier wires were put on. Youngest just got done with her 15 mo. phase 1--she never needed ibuprofen after the first 3 or 4 appointments. 12 yo got hers on in January and has taken ibuprofen after her appointments so far for her first 3 visits. We invested in a waterpik (Christmas present--isn't that exciting?). I think it helps a lot--they kids think it's kind of fun so they are willing to use it.

I would give her some Motrin before the appointment to stay on top of the pain. I was totally unprepared for how much it bothered my dd and then it was hard to try and catch up to the pain. She ate very soft foods for several days after having them put on. The first two or three times they tightened her braces she was a bit uncomfortable but she's fine with it all now.

I would talk to the ortho about a prescription strength pain reliever if your dd is really feeling the pain from the separators. My kids both tolerate Codien very well and tylenol with codien was about the only thing that brought them relief so they could sleep.

The spacers hurt our Dd12 more than the braces. She took ibuprofen for the spacers, but never needed anything after that. For phase 2 our Dd chose Invisilign which have not hurt her at all.

We bought the Waterpik and Dd did not use it. She did use the floss that went under the braces, however. Her orthodontist and dentist said her teeth were always very clean. So I would guess the Waterpik is not mandatory. It might be better, however, for the kiddos who are not going to go through the laborious flossing process. The orthodontist recommended both.

I would give her some Motrin before the appointment to stay on top of the pain. I was totally unprepared for how much it bothered my dd and then it was hard to try and catch up to the pain. She ate very soft foods for several days after having them put on. The first two or three times they tightened her braces she was a bit uncomfortable but she's fine with it all now.

I was going to say exactly this--pain reliever of your choice before each appointment. Our ortho has little packets of ibuprofen or Tylenol to hand the kids on their way out, upon request, but it always seemed to help mine to take them an hour or so before the appointment.

My kids were never as bothered by their braces as I remember being by mine. Perhaps orthos are gentler than they used to be; or maybe my kids are just tougher than me.

Terri

Hugs to her. Dd still has some pain with every tightening, but she has found that eating very soft foods for the whole day seems to help. Sometimes things will feel tight but not hurt, and she'll eat regularly, and then WHOMP feel it later. If she treads lightly at meal time for a few hours then she's good to go the next day.

ITA about taking ibru before the appointment.

You can also get a "hummingbird" type of electric flosser that has a rubber tip to insert between the teeth, if the waterpik is too messy for you.