Menu

Dying hair with kool-aid

2squared

Question: If my ds has super short white blonde hair, can I effectively dye his hair with koolaid without making his scalp look weird?

Background: My dh was in charge of getting my 9yo's hair cut yesterday. :smash: Apparently my ds didn't have a voice in the haircut, and he ended up with a 1/4 inch buzz cut. He passionately hates the haircut, and I have to say it doesn't look good. So now my 9yo is crying about going to school tomorrow with this horrible hair cut. Dh feels awful and since he really messed this up, we are considering letting ds color part (or all) of his hair a funky color with koolaid. This is something we would normally never do, but this parenting gig makes us all stretch in different ways. My concern is that the koolaid will dye his scalp as well as his hair, and it would look nasty. Between the color and length of his hair, he looks bald if you just look quickly. If his scalp gets dyed as well, am visualizing a glowing red helmet look rather than the bald look he has right now.

Any other ideas for rescuing his haircut before tomorrow? I can't think of anything else to do with 1/4" white-blond hair.

What about getting a spray in hair color and doing a stripe?My DD has some from Justice, and it seems to wash off of skin without staining (since she ALWAYS misses and ends up with a brightly colored ear) and out of hair pretty cleanly if it isn't the effect he likes. You might need a designated shopper, though-I've seen it at Claire's and Justice, and I can't imagine a boy wanting to go into EITHER store!

It will stain his scalp and his neck and his forehead. It will take a few days to work out and on the white blond it will fade funky colored and you will have a child crying under their bed asking How could you do this? I sadly know!

I remembered kool aid hair dye as fun and easy when I was a kid. However, when I green lighted it for dd, it turned out to be an unholy mess.

The color spray is a better idea, I think.

I would go to Hot Topic. Koolaid takes forever to fade/wash out. Hot Tooic has lots of bright colors. Some of them wash out with one wash, others after several washes and some are like regular permanent color.

:iagree: We Kool-aid dyed purple streaks in dd’s light brown hair last June and they are still there. I’ve also used black spray from Hot Topic and got it washed out in one (thorough) shower.

:iagree: We Kool-aid dyed purple streaks in dd’s light brown hair last June and they are still there. I’ve also used black spray from Hot Topic and got it washed out in one (thorough) shower.

My daughter's Kool-Aid dye has stayed in since last year, too. I'm real curious as to how long it will last although with summer coming up she'll probably do it again -- maybe another color :)

For my younger daughter I had to cut our the dye before she went back to school since her school won't allow that color hair.

Don't do it. It will last and last especially on white-blond hair. I would also be worried about school rules on colored hair.

Sad day for him, but it will grow pretty quick and then it will all be over. Does't help today, but he hopefully won't care in a few weeks.

Ds has white-blond hair and when he was little we used to touch the tips of it with gold gel from a hair store. It looked really cool and washed out easy.

We tried using purple kool aid to dye dd's hair last week and it didn't work!? I was thinking the kool aid dying thing was urban legend..

How did you go about it? The people I know who have done it had these tips: 1) use 3-5 packets, the kind you add sugar to (it should be unsweetened-no sugar or sweeteners), 2) add a tiny bit of water, 3) make a paste with conditioner, 4) wrap your head in plastic wrap and sleep in it (or leave on for 8 hours), 5) rinse, do NOT shampoo at this point! Allow to dry.