Menu

Has anyone used Memoria Press' Poetry for the Grammar Stage?

mlbuchina

I have this book and am planning to use it as poems for memory work for the boys...I listened to an Andrew Pudewa talk about Suzuki method poetry memorization, and I intend to use the poems in that way...We won't get through all of the poems, and I don't think it is necessary to...But the book gives me a good base of poems for us to use to work on memorization...

We use Poetry for the Grammar Stage in conjunction with MP's graded lesson plans. Last year, in 3rd grade, my son learned 4 or 5 poems, and I believe that there are about 5-6 for this year in 4th grade. Although you could use this program as a stand-alone, the topics of the poems match up with other elements of MP's curriculum. For example, last year my son memorized "The Pleiades" while he was studying astronomy and recently learned "The Grasshopper," which goes right along with his Insect course.

Each poem includes a space for a sketch, if you feel inspired. Then there is a copy work page, a page where unfamiliar words are defined, some work with the rhyming structure and meter of the poems, and then a comprehension questions section. As with MP's other products the lessons are efficient and to the point.

About every 5 or 6 weeks we take a break from grammar to work through one of the poetry lessons. We add a few new lines every day, and usually have the poem memorized by the end of the week. Then we review all of the memorized poems every Friday to keep them fresh. It's a low-key way to incorporate poetry into our lessons, and it's nice to have four years of lessons in one package.

We use Poetry for the Grammar Stage in conjunction with MP's graded lesson plans. Last year, in 3rd grade, my son learned 4 or 5 poems, and I believe that there are about 5-6 for this year in 4th grade. Although you could use this program as a stand-alone, the topics of the poems match up with other elements of MP's curriculum. For example, last year my son memorized "The Pleiades" while he was studying astronomy and recently learned "The Grasshopper," which goes right along with his Insect course.

Each poem includes a space for a sketch, if you feel inspired. Then there is a copy work page, a page where unfamiliar words are defined, some work with the rhyming structure and meter of the poems, and then a comprehension questions section. As with MP's other products the lessons are efficient and to the point.

About every 5 or 6 weeks we take a break from grammar to work through one of the poetry lessons. We add a few new lines every day, and usually have the poem memorized by the end of the week. Then we review all of the memorized poems every Friday to keep them fresh. It's a low-key way to incorporate poetry into our lessons, and it's nice to have four years of lessons in one package.

Thank you, this is helpful...My 3rd grade plans should be here this week, so I will end up doing the poetry book along with the lesson plans...I already own the poetry book, as I was going to use it in the way I described above, but since I am doing MP third grade next year, I will just follow their plans...

If you are not doing MP packages next year, I would imagine it could still be used as a stand alone...

Do you think the Poetry could be used on it's own? On the MP site they sell the Student book and Teacher key together as a package. Do you use anything in addition to those books? :)

This sounds great. We won't be using MP's graded lesson plans, but I could look through the book to match up poems with what we are currently studing.

Thanks so much!

Yes it can be done on its own. My daughter loves when we pull this out once a month or so.

We did read through Music of the Hemispheres before we started it so she knew some about rhythms, figures of speech, and rhyme. She really loves the poetry (except for the copywork) reading the poems, doing the rhyme scheme and meter of each line, figuring out what it means. It has been a great fit for us.