Menu

Would you keep four kittens?

Allearia

We are currently fostering a mom and her four kittens for the local humane society. Obviously a huge mistake, because now we are in love with all four kittens. We have not had cats for a couple of years and have been thinking about getting a pair. How big of a mistake would it be to adopt all four? They are only 3-4 weeks old so we will have them about five more weeks anyway until they are old enough to be adopted. And of course then we wouldn't be able to foster any more, which has been really fun.

I am just exploring the idea, because I think that two is the number we should get, but want to see if we would regret keeping all four.

Just remember that four kittens grow into four cats. And sometimes even kittens who grew up together don't get along with each other once they reach adulthood. Not saying that it is a bad idea but that you need to think it through to when they are older.

Yes definitely, that is one of the things I want to think through. I got my previous cats who were litter mates at the same shelter when they were five months old, one had kidney disease and needed fluids several times a week for a couple years, and his sister lived to 18. But yeah, it would be really hard if they ended up not getting along.

I promised that I would seriously consider keeping all four and not just dismiss the idea automatically... And of course my first thought is that I would love to keep them all...

Yes. I have, in fact. I trap and fix feral cats with a trap, fix, and return organization. The kittens were part of a litter I took from a feral mom to tame and hopefully get homes for. I was only able to give one away. The others are still with me. They're stinkers, but they're adorable. And litter mates will always get along.

How many cats have you ever had at one time?

I would imagine you intend to fix them asap yes?

Females tend to be better at getting along than males. If they are four males you may see more fights.

Four is great. I've never had litter mates that didn't at least tolerate each other. They may not have been best buddies, but they got along enough.

Are they going to be indoor, outdoor or both? Is your house big enough to accommodate 4 cats without there being a risk of big fights?

Like pp said they will be cats, look at the mother, can you imagine having four of her?

I would keep two. We found an orphan kitten and loved having him so much that we kept him instead of giving him to the family we had lined up for him. We'd hoped to foster more kittens through the humane society but he's feisty and I don't trust him with kittens. I wish we'd got a playmate early on for him.

Personally I couldn't take on four, knowing what vet bills could be like down the road. I had a $700 vet bill a few months ago.

IME whether cats get along or not is much more dependent on their personality/energy level than it is on what mix of sexes they are.

If you think you can stand the crazy kitten stage, then I don't really see anything wrong with keeping all four. A couple of things I would think about, though --

The golden rule for cats and litter boxes is one for each cat plus one extra. So in a perfect world you need space for five litter boxes.

Also, years down the road you'll have four elderly cats, and their potentially expensive medical issues, to deal with at the same time. That's the main reason I've always preferred to have a few years' age difference between my pets.

FWIW, that would violate the local bylaws where I live. I would not do it. 4 cats is a lot of cats. 2 is normal. 4 is a lot.

You should definitely check the law where you live.

FWIW, we have a lab and 2 cats in a 1580 sq ft house. Even without the dog, 4 cats would be too many for me. Just think of all the shedded fur, the fur balls coughed up, and that would be 4 litterboxes to clean. That's a lot of cat food and litter to buy, and then add vet bills for 4 cats. $$$$ Last year one of our cats starting peeing outside of the letterbox, and we weren't sure which one, so both had to go be tested for crystals in their bladder. $$$$ Who takes care of 4 cats while you are on vacation? $$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$

In case you missed my subtle commentary, can you afford 4 cats? Free pets are never free.

We are currently fostering a mom and her four kittens for the local humane society. Obviously a huge mistake, because now we are in love with all four kittens. We have not had cats for a couple of years and have been thinking about getting a pair. How big of a mistake would it be to adopt all four? They are only 3-4 weeks old so we will have them about five more weeks anyway until they are old enough to be adopted. And of course then we wouldn't be able to foster any more, which has been really fun.

I am just exploring the idea, because I think that two is the number we should get, but want to see if we would regret keeping all four.

I am a veterinary technician, and an animal lover, and I'd claw my own eyes out before I would adopt all 4. No way. What I WOULD do is adopt the mama cat and one kitten. I've been to several lectures on feline behavior problems, given by nationally known veterinary behaviorists, and they agree the BEST way to prevent behavior issues in the future is to adopt a mom and kitten together. Plus, you'd be doing a wonderful thing because the mom cats are very hard to adopt out. Cat societies are matriarchal...cats stay with their mother's in colonies generally, if food is plentiful enough. The kitty will love being able to grow up with mom, you will have very few problems with the kitten because mama cat will handle the discipline, the mama cat will get a good home when she otherwise might not of, and the other kittens will be much easier for the humane society to place.

I can't imagine keeping all 4. That's a LOT of litterbox cleaning, and you need to evaluate if you can afford veterinary care for 4.

But mama and a kitten? In a heart beat. If you HAVE to get 2 kittens get mama too.

Yes, definitely. Our cat had a litter of 5 kittens and we kept 3 and gave two to my brother in law. They get along famously and all have different personalities and blend quite well. Luna momma is James baby and sleeps with him. Dh belongs to Herbie bear and I belong to Melvin. Gracie rotates among the three of us. Yes, there are personality conflicts but minor. We don't regret it at all even though illness can get a bit expensive at times. Since we have been with the kittens since birth, they are pretty much child proofed and don't care if you rub their bellies, grab their paws and comb their tails. Of course it's a nuisance when they want their belly rubbed and lie down in front of you while you are walking down a hall and perhaps carrying something. We've learned to watch our step. We only have two litter boxes which they share quite comfortably as long as we clean them daily.

So long story short, if you love them and they have adopted you and your children fully, I would keep them.

I have had four cats in the past.

I would not do it again. Health issues, expenses, kitty litter, health issues, kitty litter, expenses....

I love cats, but no I would not adopt four. I think 2 would be my limit. I have one. For me it's a slippery slope because I could be one of those cat hoarder people because I LOVE cats. LOL

I have the room for it I think, but the thought of dealing with all those litter boxes is a turn off.

But mama and a kitten? In a heart beat. If you HAVE to get 2 kittens get mama too.

I had five cats at one time. It is a LOT of work, smell, expense, and time to manage more than two (I went from one to two to three to five fairly quickly - castoffs from others that I couldn't turn down). And when the three old ladies started getting really old it was very hard. One or more was peeing all over my oriental rug in the living room and I couldn't determine who, so it was three vet visits, three bills, and three answers of "she's just getting old". When the time came to put them down (old, nearly blind, incontinent and arthritic), it happened all at once. That was horribly hard. Then one of the youngsters got horribly ill and died too. In one month I lost four cats.

I had five litter boxes. FIVE. Shudder....

I read somewhere that cats have a hard time getting along if they have less than 500 sq. ft. per cat of space. I found that to be true as a general guideline, especially if they aren't litter mates.

We have two now. I will not add to that ever.

Get the mama and one kitten.

I scoop my litter boxes three to four times a day. They are in the basement, so we are smell free as far as that goes. My cats also all go outside. They play in the yard, and I have an outdoor litter box for them as well, which I scoop on a daily basis. We have a large cat tree for them, which they love as well. It is a lot of work, but it hasn't been awful. Our vet bills haven't been excessive either. I am also not one to try and keep an animal alive if it has a terminal illness or is in pain. I will have them put to sleep before I spend years on medication and vet care for kidney disease or diabetes. I also won't allow a cat to be uncomfortable or in pain simply because I don't want to him let go. There are too many homeless kitties out there that I could help. So vet bills are not a problem for me, since I won't prolong a terminal illness. We have paid for dental surgery for broken teeth, visits for kitty "colds", scratched corneas, etc. But honestly, it hasn't been terrible, and my vet often doesn't charge me if all he has to do is a quick check. Also, his office visits are only $20. He is an older, country vet who now just takes care of animals because he loves doing it. He is not in it for the money. Seriously, he's James Herriot. I love him!!

We have 3 cats. Two are littermates from a litter of 4. 3 cats at a time was really my max - we gave away the other two (the plan had been to give away 3 of them, but we really couldn't decided between the last two!)

As far as them getting along, we were worried about the first cat getting along with anyone else, because he's a bit of a stinker. But that's also one of the reasons we wanted more - I wanted at least one sweet cat. Ironically, he and the male from the litter have become buddies ,and often sleep next to each other. The female gets on great with her brother, but not with the original cat. They tolerate each other, though. I also have never heard of littermates that don't at least get along.

I love them all dearly - even the stinker, who I think has actually been mellowed by the kittens (as we still call them, even though they're long since adult) - but I'm not sure I could handle a fourth cat...

I am a veterinary technician, and an animal lover, and I'd claw my own eyes out before I would adopt all 4. No way. What I WOULD do is adopt the mama cat and one kitten. I've been to several lectures on feline behavior problems, given by nationally known veterinary behaviorists, and they agree the BEST way to prevent behavior issues in the future is to adopt a mom and kitten together. Plus, you'd be doing a wonderful thing because the mom cats are very hard to adopt out. Cat societies are matriarchal...cats stay with their mother's in colonies generally, if food is plentiful enough. The kitty will love being able to grow up with mom, you will have very few problems with the kitten because mama cat will handle the discipline, the mama cat will get a good home when she otherwise might not of, and the other kittens will be much easier for the humane society to place.

We sort of did this when I was a kid. That baby kitten who always lived with his Mommy grew up to be a bit of a nutbar. But a sweet nutbar.

I haven't read the other responses, but I currently have 4 cats. I started with 1 and then a mama kitty and her 2 babies showed up at my doorstep so I took them in, with the intentions of keeping the mama kitty and finding homes for the babies. Yeah, that didn't go as planned. :lol: Like you, I fell in love with them. That being said, I don't know if you've ever had that many cats before, but can you have 4 litter boxes in your house? Can you afford to spay/neuter them all? Can you afford the food and any future vet bills? If so, I say to keep them. Cats are pretty easy to take care of if you don't mind some fur in your house and cleaning the litter boxes. And oh, make sure they have somewhere to scratch and you train them early, unless you like your furniture and rugs torn up. :lol:

The only complaint I had about having more than 1 kitten at a time was when they were big enough to roam the house they kept us up all. night. long, because they played all. night. long. :glare: What we do now is keep the kittens in the basement at night (that's where their food and 3 of the litter boxes are, and it's very nice down there). The mama gets to sleep with us because she actually sleeps at night. :) Once the kittens calm down they won't be confined at night.

I say if you take all that into consideration and don't mind any of it, then go for it! Cats are fun to have around and are always good for a laugh. :)

The only complaint I had about having more than 1 kitten at a time was when they were big enough to roam the house they kept us up all. night. long, because they played all. night. long. :glare: What we do now is keep the kittens in the basement at night (that's where their food and 3 of the litter boxes are, and it's very nice down there). The mama gets to sleep with us because she actually sleeps at night.

LOL - we had the same problems. And the kittens tried to sleep on our heads! They now have a nice apartment in the basement, and Mr. Stinker gets to snuggle with us ('cause he stays at the foot of the bed). This has also helped to separate their food, as the older one needs special food.

Would you like 4 kittens here or there?

I would not like 4 kittens here of there!

I would not like them anywhere!

They have way to much hair.

I don't want them in my air.

Would you like them in your house?

Would you like them with a mouse?

I would not like them in my house!

I do not even want a mouse.

The kittens will bring in louse.

I do not want them in my house.

Would you feed them from a box?

They do not even have cowpox!

I would not feed them from a box,

Instead I'll feed them to a fox.

I don't want to think of cowpox

You are such a Chatterbox!

our youngest cats (5 years old now) are littermates, 2 boys and a girl. The boys are best buds, constant companions, always together. They are the sweetest of all my cats. Their sister gets along with them but she does not have the special bond that the 2 boys have with each other.

They were very easy to take care of as kittens and very easy now. They will sometimes have little spats with my other cats but never with their littermates.

Yes I would, and yes I have! I do like the idea of keeping the momma though...nobody wants grown cats. :( You can have two cats to a box, we use tidy cat w/ the red lid, and scoop 2x a day. The will all go through a period of wanting to be alpha, then they will get over it and live happily together. Vet bills have been minimal- fixing was done through a local no kill shelter for like $10-15 each. Mine are all indoor, so after the first year of shots, I don't worry about getting shots. Yes, they have ruined some furniture, but then, so have the humans in the house. :p

Yes, I would keep all the kittens and the momma, too. Of course, that is probably why I don't foster. :tongue_smilie: We have 4 cats though, and it's really not all that bad. We have 1 litter box in the house, 1 in the garage, and 1 on the enclosed back porch. They've all shared for years with no problems. The ones in the garage and on the porch are scooped as needed since the cats aren't out there as much, but the one inside gets scooped almost every time someone uses it. Shots, spaying, and neutering we do at the local SPCA for much cheaper than a vet. They also have specials on shots at local pet stores every now and again as well. As for vet care, I have learned to do a lot of minor things on my own and found a good but inexpensive vet to do the rest. They really tend not to have to go all that often, particularly if they're indoor cats.

Be prepared for them to run maniacally through the house chasing one another, play fight, and scratch surfaces with their ever sharpening claws. To counter this a little, channel their energy with lots of toys, have several appropriate scratching/climbing surfaces available, and get them used to having their claws handled and trimmed starting now. Good luck with whatever you decide. Like someone upthread said, no one really wants older cats, so I would seriously consider keeping momma.

I've had as many as 5 at one time. But my kitties are farm cats as well as pets. Last year we lost our 16 year old orange long haired male. We still have a 15 year old female and 2 litter mates (male and female) who are 9 months old that we rescued and dropper fed. They were about 3 weeks old when we got them. I would not have 4 cats as inside pets...but no problem having 4 outside barn pet cats.

FYI, our barn cats are very personable and are allowed inside every day for some part of the day. In good weather they prefer to be outside.

Litter mates don't always get along. My stepdad let my cat out (indoor only) 13 years ago and she came back pregnant. I was pg and couldn't get rid of the three in the litter. They *usually* get along ok, but the female always gets beaten up on when they're playful. Don't worry, they're all fixed. ;) I do not regret keeping them at all. It's not always easy finding a place to rent with that many cats, but it's awesome otherwise.

Thanks so much to everyone, a big range of responses. I think it would really be best to just keep two, but haven't ruled out keeping them all. I do worry about the litter boxes, the smell, fur everywhere.

To answer a few questions, there are three males and one female. The humane society spays and neuters all their animals before they are adopted, so the kittens are fostered until they are eight weeks and they spay/neuter and adopt them out. It seems so young but probably the only way to make sure they are all fixed. So it is included as part of the adoption fee.

It doesn't help that these are really beautiful kittens. And I do worry about the mom, she is really sweet and shy. Our house is not too big and I wouldn't be able to let them outside, some neighborhood cats wander around and I almost run them over once a month or so.

How to choose, though?

Depending on the breed, I have not had cat hair issues. I do have dog hair issues, though. :glare: I also only have two litter boxes that I keep clean. It's no more work than having one cat, in that regard. Maybe one extra minute a day? And possibly since I was raised in what many might consider a home zoo, but I can't smell them. In fact I think cats smell good. :lol:

We ended up keeping all four of the orphan kittens dh brought home last summer at one week old. I thought two was a sensible number but everyone had a different favorite. So far so good. They ate about 9 months old now. They still get along great and get upset if someone's "missing". I will say their home is the garage though they come in to visit each day. We live on acreage so plenty of space and mice for them though I've yet to see them even look at a mouse. They were all so homely as kittens I didn't think we'd find homes for them anyway. Hugo also always managed to hurt himself and look like a pitiful runt. Now he's beautiful. We also have Violet who was a rescue who is about 8. She isn't thrilled with kittens but seems resigned to sharing her space.