Menu

Couldn't believe it until I saw it

Liz CA

I think the real problem here was the doctor on a power trip. When a doctor calls CPS, they really do take it more seriously than when a family member or neighbor calls. They are more likely to come in guns-a-blazin'. Doctors know this.

His issue was that he felt disrespected and decided to put them in their place. He knew very well they took that baby to get a second opinion and I doubt he really thought the child was in any danger.

We have no idea what the other side of this story is.

It may have been a horrible overstep by CPS, it may have been a misunderstanding fueled by language barriers, or it may have saved a baby's life.

CPS can't tell their side.

Could they at least have let the family visit their baby? And feed him? I don't know, because I don't know their concerns or the basis for those concerns.

It may have been a horrible overstep by CPS, it may have been a misunderstanding fueled by language barriers, or it may have saved a baby's life.

Could they at least have let the family visit their baby? And feed him? I don't know, because I don't know their concerns or the basis for those concerns.

This is true. It's easy to get all up in arms when we only have information provided by one side.

True.

I have no problem believing that CPS is acting in the child's best interest in a situation where medical professionals are not in agreement. What disturbed me was the father's description of the encounter with the police and the fact that the "powers that be" could not get an emergancy hearing held before the weekend.

This is happening rather close to me and I will be watching the news tonight. I heard an update that because of media coverage (sometimes the media does something good) the hospital where the baby has been taken is allowing the mother one hour today to see her child.

As far as language barriers go, it is apparent that they have a mild accent but seem to be able to understand and communicate very well.

Someone else asked for clarification and background: Baby Sam was at a hospital for flu like symptoms. The mother asked a nurse why certain meds were given, the nurse did not know. Later the treating physician admitted the baby received antibiotics erroneously...a series of mishaps prompted the parents to take the baby out of this hospital and take him to another one to get a second opinion. This is when the first hospital called CPS.

CPS came to the second hospital but medical personnel there assured them the baby was in good condition and that there was no cause for alarm.

CPS left but returned to the couple's home a day later to take the baby in custody.

I hate these stories. I know there have been stories about military authorities that I knew were inaccurate because I was in the know. But, government agencies, in general, are bound by privacy laws that protect those individuals. So, they never defend themselves. We do not know what the real story here is. I would be extremely hesitant to simply label it as fascist behavior.

I think the real problem here was the doctor on a power trip. When a doctor calls CPS, they really do take it more seriously than when a family member or neighbor calls. They are more likely to come in guns-a-blazin'. Doctors know this.

His issue was that he felt disrespected and decided to put them in their place. He knew very well they took that baby to get a second opinion and I doubt he really thought the child was in any danger.

A doctor called CPS? In that case, depending on the laws of the state, CPS may have been legally obligated to do something.

Certain professions are mandatory reporters and are given certain credence when they say there is a situation of imminent danger. In some states my husband can commit someone to a mental hospital for 24hrs just on his say so.

And no, my dh does not work for the government. He's not even a US citizen, actually.

I hate these stories. I know there have been stories about military authorities that I knew were inaccurate because I was in the know. But, government agencies, in general, are bound by privacy laws that protect those individuals. So, they never defend themselves. We do not know what the real story here is. I would be extremely hesitant to simply label it as fascist behavior.

I think, originally, CPS was founded to ensure the welfare of children. Either due to deficient staffing, nonsense bureaucracy or overreaching, they often do things that outrage the average citizen.

This should have been carefully evaluated with the baby in the home, several medical opinion taken into account - not just one disgruntled doctor who is now afraid of a malpractice suit. The second medical opinion stated that the baby was playful, happy, well hydrated and not in any danger. Seems to me CPS could have searched for a more child-friendly approach. After all CPS is supposed to protect children, not put them through additional trauma.

I respect the fact that CPS may not be allowed to comment at this point. However, their modus operandi has once again cast them into a very unfavorable public light.

Seems to me some policy changes are in order.

I think, originally, CPS was founded to ensure the welfare of children. Either due to deficient staffing, nonsense bureaucracy or overreaching, they often do things that outrage the average citizen.

I think the outrage is often due to the fact that the authorities cannot tell their side of the story. People are equally outraged when CPS does not act and tragedy happens. They cannot win.

This should have been carefully evaluated with the baby in the home, several medical opinion taken into account - not just one disgruntled doctor who is now afraid of a malpractice suit. The second medical opinion stated that the baby was playful, happy, well hydrated and not in any danger. Seems to me CPS could have searched for a more child-friendly approach. After all CPS is supposed to protect children, not put them through additional trauma.

We do not really know that this is the case. If the full story comes out and CPS is in the wrong, fine, let's see some changes in policy. But, I refuse to jump on the constant bandwagon of outrage that exists in the media when I don't remotely know the full story.

This is happening rather close to me and I will be watching the news tonight. I heard an update that because of media coverage (sometimes the media does something good) the hospital where the baby has been taken is allowing the mother one hour today to see her child.

As far as language barriers go, it is apparent that they have a mild accent but seem to be able to understand and communicate very well.

Someone else asked for clarification and background: Baby Sam was at a hospital for flu like symptoms. The mother asked a nurse why certain meds were given, the nurse did not know. Later the treating physician admitted the baby received antibiotics erroneously...a series of mishaps prompted the parents to take the baby out of this hospital and take him to another one to get a second opinion. This is when the first hospital called CPS.

CPS came to the second hospital but medical personnel there assured them the baby was in good condition and that there was no cause for alarm.

CPS left but returned to the couple's home a day later to take the baby in custody.

Disgusting!!! A 5-month-old baby! If the mother was nursing she has probably lost her supply. :crying: :cursing:

I think the outrage is often due to the fact that the authorities cannot tell their side of the story. People are equally outraged when CPS does not act and tragedy happens. They cannot win.

We do not really know that this is the case. If the full story comes out and CPS is in the wrong, fine, let's see some changes in policy. But, I refuse to jump on the constant bandwagon of outrage that exists in the media when I don't remotely know the full story.

We do know that the baby was evaluated by a doctor and was considered safe to return home with the family. If a doctor says the baby is safe at home, what could be the "other side"?

The same thing happened to us when our son was 3. We left the hospital to take him to another one because of inadequate care and the 1st doctor called CPS and said our son was in danger. The police swat-teamed our house,came in, tore our son out of my husband's arms and took him away. The next day they let us pick him up and stating the danger was "unfounded." We tried to file a lawsuit only to find out that laws protect doctors, judges and CPS workers against neglicence.

Oh yes, and a few days before it happened, our homestudy through CPS to foster adopt had been approved.

I respect the fact that CPS may not be allowed to comment at this point. However, their modus operandi has once again cast them into a very unfavorable public light.

Nope. No fear on their part because there are laws proctecting them - you can not file a lawsuit against a doctor if he reports, even if he is wrong, because they are a mandatory reporters. It has nothing to do with malpractice. They can wrongly report as many times as they want without any consequences.

If the mother is breastfeeding, she can hopefully pump to maintain her supply.

It sounds like the family is getting a lawyer, which is what they need right now. In my state, a hearing must be held before a juvenile court judge within 5 days of removal of a child and parents are appointed an attorney. In some states that isn't the case (in TX, for example, an attorney is not appointed unless/until parental rights termination proceedings are initiated).

Hopefully, the first judge to lay hands on this case will do so in a few days and hear the parents' side and see the medical documentation from Kaiser Permanente, and straighten things out.

Depending on state law, CPS may have had limited discretion in whether or not to remove in the particular situation. Medical neglect cases, however, can be a big fat nasty grey area, especially with some doctor on a high horse pulling the "dead baby" card.

This is precisely why I think they need to develop a more individualized approach and evaluate each case. It appears they are following some guidebook without rhyme or reason.

You are right. I want CPS to do their job but I want them to do it well, with careful thought and with the welfare of the child and family in mind! When a boy was finally taken from a home where he lay with broken bones after severe abuse, I was glad CPS came in and took him. There was corroborating evidence from his medical condition, neighbors witnessing abuse, and the child able to tell law enforcement how he was beaten - again corroborated by witnesses, and it was high time he was removed from this horrendous environment. I am not anti-CPS across the board.

To perform the work toward the purpose for which CPS was established, they should strive for excellence and careful evaluation of each case.

It seems to me that in this case, they disregarded differing medical opinions as well as physical evidence and charged ahead like a bull in the china shop.

Liz, the trouble is that I know of cases where the family claimed overstepping, and I know it was way past time the kids had been removed. The family can claim whatever they want about the situation because the authorities are bound by privacy laws. We don't know in which cases they were simply abiding by policy and which received careful evaluation.

Liz, the trouble is that I know of cases where the family claimed overstepping, and I know it was way past time the kids had been removed. The family can claim whatever they want about the situation because the authorities are bound by privacy laws. We don't know in which cases they were simply abiding by policy and which received careful evaluation.

I get and respect your point. I know there are always two sides to it. I will be following this case as best I can.

I still think CPS's public image would benefit from more thoughtful approaches. Had this baby been in dire straits and had the two medical opinions concurred, I would have not thought about it twice, however, I get the impression that this has more to do with a disgruntled doctor than actual child abuse...however, I will attempt to find out more.

If the problem is with a disgruntled doctor making a claim of severe medical neglect? Then the problem is likely *not* with CPS, but with the laws they are required to follow. If a doctor is shown to be abusing his power, then I agree with contacting the media to insure that public pressure will result in policy changes that allow for censure of medical professionals who abuse their power.

If a treating physician called in a report of serious medical neglect with a baby's life at risk, and the parents were confirmed to have taken the baby out of the hospital AMA, then CPS likely had little choice. If the doctor abused his power in this situation, that is the problem that needs to be addressed.

What seems crazy to me is that the case hasn't been in front of a judge yet. Here in FL CPS have 24 hrs to be in front of a judge for an emergency hearing in cases of removal. There are no exceptions. Someone posted upthread that in their state the hearing has to be held within 5 days. That is insane to me, that it could take that long, as those hearings are often the best way to sort out issues like this one.

This should have been carefully evaluated with the baby in the home, several medical opinion taken into account - not just one disgruntled doctor who is now afraid of a malpractice suit. The second medical opinion stated that the baby was playful, happy, well hydrated and not in any danger.

It crossed my mind that the first doc might have had a concern that didn't occur to the second doc.

Either way, it's possible that the reason they gave the baby to the parents, then took him back again, was that in between they consulted with both docs, who collectively, after comparing notes, came to the decision that the baby was in danger.

What seems crazy to me is that the case hasn't been in front of a judge yet. Here in FL CPS have 24 hrs to be in front of a judge for an emergency hearing in cases of removal. There are no exceptions. Someone posted upthread that in their state the hearing has to be held within 5 days. That is insane to me, that it could take that long, as those hearings are often the best way to sort out issues like this one.

My impression is that sometimes the initial delay is somewhat manufactured, to give the CPS folks or the docs time to gather the info needed to make the case for abuse (by doing x-rays, etc.) so as to be able to protect the child.

Nope. No fear on their part because there are laws proctecting them - you can not file a lawsuit against a doctor if he reports, even if he is wrong, because they are a mandatory reporters. It has nothing to do with malpractice. They can wrongly report as many times as they want without any consequences.

While that is shameful enough, I was wondering if he fears a potential backlash because he admitted in the presence of a nurse (or so it was reported) that the child erroneously received antibiotics while under his care.

The other side of the story ENDS when a doctor can make a call to CPS, say the baby is in danger, they take him at HIS WORD, force their way into the parent's home and take the baby at GUNPOINT, and look for evidence after the fact. That is wrong.

I cannot fathom what those parents are going through.

The other side of the story ENDS when a doctor can make a call to CPS, say the baby is in danger, they take him at HIS WORD, force their way into the parent's home and take the baby at GUNPOINT, and look for evidence after the fact. That is wrong.

You don't know if that's what happened. And you won't know, either, because they can't tell their side.

CPS is a job that is extremely difficult and most workers go way above and beyond the call of duty trying to protect children. Birth parents hate them if they do remove and the public and media go against them if they don't remove in time.

I know there can be bad in any field but we have been foster parents for over 17 years now and over 100 children and there was only ONE case where it was even questionable if the child should be removed. The CPS worker did NOT want to remove the child but HAD TO. This was a 6 pound baby with 4 broken bones. He did NOT think the parents did this to the child but he could not risk leaving the child in the home while they finished the investigation. Statistic say the next time they would see the baby he would be dead.

It was a TERRIBLE thing to go to the court house and have me take that precious baby out of the mother's arms and take him home with me. He was with us for 6 weeks and the investigation showed who was responsible and that risk was removed from the family and the baby was returned home. They just couldn't risk leaving him in the home until they figured out what happened. He is now about 10 years old and doing very well from reports I have (a friend sees him occ.).

CPS is a job that is extremely difficult and most workers go way above and beyond the call of duty trying to protect children. Birth parents hate them if they do remove and the public and media go against them if they don't remove in time.

I know there can be bad in any field but we have been foster parents for over 17 years now and over 100 children and there was only ONE case where it was even questionable if the child should be removed. The CPS worker did NOT want to remove the child but HAD TO. This was a 6 pound baby with 4 broken bones. He did NOT think the parents did this to the child but he could not risk leaving the child in the home while they finished the investigation. Statistic say the next time they would see the baby he would be dead.

It was a TERRIBLE thing to go to the court house and have me take that precious baby out of the mother's arms and take him home with me. He was with us for 6 weeks and the investigation showed who was responsible and that risk was removed from the family and the baby was returned home. They just couldn't risk leaving him in the home until they figured out what happened. He is now about 10 years old and doing very well from reports I have (a friend sees him occ.).

In this case I am all for investigating and removing a child at least temporarily. This Sacramento case smacks of a doctor who has a big head and little sense to boot. I wonder if by now he regrets having made that call.

From all the reports I've been following, there is not one single medical professional except this one doctor, who says the child appears neglected, in fact they all testify to the opposite.

How, then, would you have doctors and CPS handle cases of suspected abuse or neglect, especially of children too young to speak for themselves?

How would you have the doctors and/or CPS gather evidence (such as x-rays of broken bones) if they have no access to the child or the home?

Whatever the doctor's concerns were, CPS seemed to feel that they fell into the "get the kid out NOW" category rather than the "monitor, educate" category.

We don't know what the doctor's concerns were, and why he had those concerns, so we can't judge whether he and CPS acted appropriately or not.

There are no easy answers. It's a balance, and sometimes it's going to swing too far in one direction or the other.

If the parents are innocent, its horrible that they and their baby have had to endure this; they will be forever scarred.

If the parents are guilty, it's wonderful that the doctor spoke up, and the baby is alive; he may owe his life to the doctor.

We don't know which it is. We have only heard one side of the story.

So the CPS worker, because of a disgruntled or worried doctor's report, decided to take the child despite written documentation that the neglect had not occurred. That *is* CPS's fault and is wrong. There is no other side to know. They said it was "severe" neglect which it was obviously not based on video and evidence from the second hospital. Additionally, the media then provided more evidence. But CPS wasn't big enough to back down. It'll have to go in front of a judge on Monday. And CPS will get a fussing at by the judge which they get so regularly they don't even pay attention. When I went to court regarding my three, the judge fussed at CPS in *every* *single* *case* which is par for the course according to my children's CASA worker.

CPS makes dumb decisions. My new children (ages 4, 2, and 5mo) are sitting in a shelter tonight because no one but the worker could bring them out to me and she was sick. As if a shelter is a good environment for three very young children. Ridiculous!

It seems like in almost every story we hear like this, it later comes out there was some additional information that CPS wasn't allowed to release. Usually that the parents are on drugs. "Oh, did we forget to mention the meth in our interview with the news station? Whoops. Our bad." I'm not saying that's the case here, but I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and demonize CPS based on one side of the story.

ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a huge assumption.

:iagree:

This should have been carefully evaluated with the baby in the home, several medical opinion taken into account - not just one disgruntled doctor who is now afraid of a malpractice suit. The second medical opinion stated that the baby was playful, happy, well hydrated and not in any danger.

We do know that the baby was evaluated by a doctor and was considered safe to return home with the family. If a doctor says the baby is safe at home, what could be the "other side"?

You know what the media is reporting. That isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t necessarily what the doctor said or that the second doctor had all the information. Maybe he/she didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know of the babyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s full heart condition. There is a ton of information missing from a story that it is tragic and sad. The other side could be that the second doctor didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know the facts or that he wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t a pediatrician or cardiologist that had the same expertise.

Saying that the first doctor is afraid of a malpractice suit and so called CPS is a huge stretch. The parents would never have had a case to sue for malpractice because of the antibiotic error. To have malpractice occur you have to prove harm as well as error. One dose of an antibiotic given in error would not have caused significant harm to be malpractice and no doctor would be afraid of in in that instance.

This is because we are mandatory reporters...meaning we also have no choice in reporting. I have had parents essentially use me in custody disputes, I know they are doing it but I cannot not report. When we report we are reporting a concern, not making a judgment. We can be found negligent if we donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t report.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll say that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve had to call CPS and every time itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a gut-wrenching horrible thing to do. I think thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the case for most mandatory reporters. You know what itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s going to do to a family but in certain instances you have to do it. Maybe this doctor was just on a power trip and CPS was too but this reminds me of so many other cases where the emotional side gets out in the media but where there is another side that canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be told yet.

Does the video say something different? The article says they've been granted additional visitation and have a hearing on Monday.

I thought I read the baby was returned to them.

If not, I would say that everyone is moving fast on this. The baby was taken Wednesday, the parents were granted extra visitation, and Monday all will be in court. It sounds to me like one Dr was over-zealous, but the authorities are moving quickly to get the baby back home.

CPS can't discuss the issues, so we can't know all of the facts. We'd all be screaming if the baby died and CPS did nothing.

I pity social workers. People have got it in for them like crazy no matter what they do.

Does the video say something different? The article says they've been granted additional visitation and have a hearing on Monday.

The video says the same thing. There is also an interview with the couple's lawyer, who says that CPS has not returned his calls or given him any of the documents he's requested that he needs for the court hearing on Monday.

Jackie

The video says the same thing. There is also an interview with the couple's lawyer, who says that CPS has not returned his calls or given him any of the documents he's requested that he needs for the court hearing on Monday.

Jackie

Thanks. I'm not able to watch videos right now, but I've seen more than one instance where the video is updated ahead of the article.

http://www.startribu...41.html?refer=y

I think some authorities are afraid of this sort of thing. It shows that CPS really does not want your babies.

They are in the unfortunate position of trying to figure out whether parents are actually caring for their children...or not.

Why anyone would want to be a CPS social worker is beyond me. It's the ultimate damned if you do, damned if you don't profession.

When I read about this case it made me physically ill. I have a baby about that age right now. I don't know that I could live if they took him from me, not even for a few days. I told dh that while he was talking to them at the front door I'd be going out the back door, on my way out of the country. I know that is wrong. But no one is taking my baby. And yes, I've had worry of a false report in the past, from a misinterpreted statement, so yeah...this is terrifying.

In this case I am all for investigating and removing a child at least temporarily. This Sacramento case smacks of a doctor who has a big head and little sense to boot. I wonder if by now he regrets having made that call.

From all the reports I've been following, there is not one single medical professional except this one doctor, who says the child appears neglected, in fact they all testify to the opposite.

I sincerely hope that this idiot's name somehow gets out. Maybe if enough of these arrogant doctor's like this get named and shamed and boycotted they will stop trying stunts like this to intimidate parents. The hospital's name is in the articles and if I were in the area I would definitely avoid that one in the future.

I sincerely hope that this idiot's name somehow gets out. Maybe if enough of these arrogant doctor's like this get named and shamed and boycotted they will stop trying stunts like this to intimidate parents. The hospital's name is in the articles and if I were in the area I would definitely avoid that one in the future.

I am curious.

Why do you feel justified in saying this without knowing what the doctor saw or heard that made him feel he needed to report it?

What made you assume he is arrogant? What made you think he is an idiot?

He might very well be. Or he might not be.

We have heard only one side of this story.

I've seen *way* too many of these "oh they took my poor kids" stories where it turned out that there were *very* good grounds for doing so.

I have learned to be wary about rushing to judgement.

I don't think we should smear the doctor without first hearing the other side.

If he feels a child may be in danger, he is required by law to report it - legally, he has no choice.

It is *not* his job to decide if the child actually *is* being abused; that falls on CPS.

I am curious.

Why do you feel justified in saying this without knowing what the doctor saw or heard that made him feel he needed to report it?

What made you assume he is arrogant? What made you think he is an idiot?

He might very well be. Or he might not be.

We have heard only one side of this story.

I've seen *way* too many of these "oh they took my poor kids" stories where it turned out that there were *very* good grounds for doing so.

I have learned to be wary about rushing to judgement.

I don't think we should smear the doctor without first hearing the other side.

If he feels a child may be in danger, he is required by law to report it - legally, he has no choice.

It is *not* his job to decide if the child actually *is* being abused; that falls on CPS.

Other medical professionals (physicians and nurses) at another facility have examined this baby and found him to be perfectly fit to go home with his parents. The doctors at the second facility told law enforcement and CPS workers that there was no cause for alarm. This makes the doctor who reported the family to CPS look awkward.

On further investigation, it was discovered that the reporting doctor had medicated the baby erroneously and admitted it in the presence of the parents and one other employee. When the parents became afraid that their baby was not receiving good care at this hospital, they took the baby to another hospital in the area to have him evaluated by physicians there who did not concur with the first doctor's assessment of "severe neglect." They stated the opposite, "the child was happy, playful, well hydrated and the parents seem entirely capable and concerned about his health."

This is when the first hospital called CPS.

All I can say is, "Wow." I hope someone loses their job over this. If the other hospital assured CPS that all was OK, CPS had no right to storm in and take the baby as soon as it's home from the hospital.

I don't understand how the claim can be "severe neglect" when even CPS/police first viewed the family IN a hospital?

I'm not getting in to any CPS bashing, because it's true that we don't know both sides of the story, but the above baffles me. There is no evidence presented that they refused any treatment. There is evidence that they sought a second opinion. This sounds like the exact opposite of neglect, IMO.