Menu

Thoughts wanted on math credits

My DD has taken Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 at home so far. She will be dual enrolled at our local junior college next year and will take Intermediate Algebra in the fall. Will this work as her 4th math credit for her transcripts?

Are you sure of this?

Usually there is Intermediate Algebra which is the same as Algebra 2 or College Algebra which can be considered Algebra 3. I have never heard of Intermediate College Algebra.

Oops, need to go back and correct that. I didn't mean to put college in there. Yes, it is just intermediate Algebra. So then you are saying that it is no different than the Algebra 2 that she is taking now and we can't count it as her 4th credit?

What topics does the Intermediate Algebra cover? My kids use AoPS. I have Alg. II and Intermediate Algebra listed on their transcripts because the AoPS Alg II. and Intermediate Algebra classes are definitely not the same.

If you are unsure how your Alg. II course compares to the Intermediate Algebra class at the community college, I would ask the instructor at the community college for his/her opinion.

Yes, it is just intermediate Algebra. So then you are saying that it is no different than the Algebra 2 that she is taking now and we can't count it as her 4th credit?

To me, Intermediate Algebra is the same as the typical Algebra 2. I would not list both.

snowbeltmom may have a different experience. AoPS is advanced though.

What topics does the Intermediate Algebra cover? My kids use AoPS. I have Alg. II and Intermediate Algebra listed on their transcripts because the AoPS Alg II. and Intermediate Algebra classes are definitely not the same.

If you are unsure how your Alg. II course compares to the Intermediate Algebra class at the community college, I would ask the instructor at the community college for his/her opinion.

Thank you. I will have to find out what the contents are. I don't want her to have to do math at home and at the college at the same time. It would just be too much.

Did she place into that on their placement test?

If so, she could take intermediate algebra in the fall and college algebra in the spring. College algebra would be a reasonable math credit. Intermediate algebra will be repeating what she has already had at home. If she placed into there, though, it is likely that she has some knowledge gaps or perhaps just doesn't test well.

Another option could be studying/reviewing algebra 2 over summer, retaking the placement test in the late summer and taking college algebra directly.

To me, Intermediate Algebra is the same as the typical Algebra 2. I would not list both.

snowbeltmom may have a different experience. AoPS is advanced though.

You need to look at the syllabus to decide whether it is the same as algebra 2 or not.

Or at least look at the progression of courses: if the college also offers a College Algebra course, Intermediate will most likely be just algebra 2.

AoPS Intermediate, to which snowbeltmom refered, is most definitely NOT just algebra 2 (most of that was covered in the second half of their intro book). It would be much of what is covered in college algebra )or a traditional precalculus course)

She passed the math section of the placement test (PERT) just fine. They start everyone in Intermediate unless you take the CLM test and place high enough to skip it. She did not score high enough to skip Intermediate so she will be taking that in the fall and then College Algebra in the Spring. As long as everything goes well, that will work just fine. My only concern would be if either of the classes fill up before she is able to register for them. That would leave us scrambling in her senior year. (She will have her application submitted by the priority registration date - so I am hoping that this will not be an issue)