Menu

Anyone have experience with Junior League?

FeFe

My sister in law is very active in it. She says it varies by region, but she loves her area and says no one is snobby at all. She's met a lot of good friends there. Most of them are active professional women. I don't know that there are any dues but there are fundraising requirements - I think for her area it's a certain amount of items that must be donated to their thrift shop, as well as a certain amount of hours that must be volunteered to work the thrift shop every month.

Well, it's not your mother's Junior League, and most of the stereotypes don't hold true anymore. Lots of members work, many are single, and they are not a bunch of wealthy "ladies who lunch" biding their time until their husbands come home with "charity work". These women really do work hard, and do a lot of good for their communities. Plus, their cookbooks are awesome! :D

A number of the ladies in my sorority's alumnae group were active in JL and they encouraged me to apply when I was living in Boston. However, I found that particular JL group to be on the snobby side and didn't end up joining.

I looked into it again when we moved here but found out that one of the wives of a partner at DH's then-employer was an officer and she was somebody I absolutely couldn't stand.

The Junior League here give enough teddy bears to hand out to most of the children who want one when their parents visit our food pantry. To see their eyes light up as they receive their own teddy is amazing.

They also run a charity shop here. I got an amazing spring form pan for a quarter. ;)

At least in certain chapters, the volunteerism takes a back seat towards socializing with the "right" people...

I'm sure that is true, but, that happens at a whole lot of churches too. Doesn't mean church is something to avoid.

Guest Courtney

I am active in my local Junior League and have been for several years. It is a very worthwhile organization! I have made a lot of good friends there, including my (now) daughter's godparents! Like everything else, you get out what you put in. Let me know if I can help you in any way!

I first heard of it when a friend mentioned she was an active member. This friend was unquestionably the edgiest, pushiest, test-the-limits-of-propriety person I've ever known (and one of the sweetest and most generous, as well). As an example of her style, she wore a bustier and thigh-high boots when the Chief Justice of the SCOTUS lectured at our school and sat in the front row, trying to make him lose his train of thought. I never saw her hair a color found in nature, and she never met a social justice protest she didn't like.

So imagine my surprise when I found out that Junior League wasn't known for being a hotbed of hipster activism. But if they're about charity, teddy bears, and good cookbooks? I vote yes!

Guest Courtney

I have a question- what does the Junior in Junior League refer to? Is this a young womens' group only? Remundamom says her mom is in it. Do you mean she is active? Are there age limits?

I dont know if all chapters have the same requirements, but in my area: An active member is a member who is actively volunteering (has a placement requiring 40 hours of volunteer time per year, pays dues, attends chapter meetings, and completes a certain number of training and educational hours per year). There is a minimum age limit to join, I think it is 22? Members are typically active for 10 years. After that they can choose to either continue as active or move to a sustainer status and therefore not have the extensive time commitment.

Each League has a focus. Ours is on healthy children and families. We help provide vaccinations for children who can't afford them, spend time with kids in the children's hospital, and work with hospice to put on an annual overnight camp for children who have lost a loved one. These are just examples of what our chapter does, and we have many more placements.

I hope you consider your local League. It truly is a good organization, and it is a fun way to volunteer and make some friends at the same time.