Menu

The Giver by Lois Lowry. Should I read the rest in the quartet?

I just finished reading The Giver and loved it. My dd10 is reading it now and also loving it (we'll discuss it after she finishes the book).

I'm wondering if I should read the other books in the set? There seem to be mixed reviews.

And any other books I should read?

We read The Giver as a read-aloud this year and LOVED it! DD11 (my prolific reader) read the next two and said they were not as good. So, I read them as well because I was so impressed with The Giver and I concur...not worth it, IMO. I did not ask DD9 to read them.

I think they kind of went downhill. They're not really sequels, except for the last one, which ties together the threads a bit, but the Giver was so good stand alone and leaving things hanging (really, a masterful piece of writing given the reading level and target age) and the others, while good books, aren't to that same level.

We read the entire quartet this year. My dd14 and dd12 liked all of them, and I enjoyed them, too. However, I think because "The Giver" is so good, the others lose by comparison. "Gathering Blue" can also be read alone, but I think if you read "Messenger" you should also read "Son." I had read somewhere that "Son" made up for the weakness of books 2 and 3, but I disagree. I was very disappointed with the ending.

They aren't bad books, just not on par with "The Giver."

HTH.

So disappointing! I Loved The Giver, and I don't know if I even want to bother. It's so sad!!

ETA: I'll probably read them, because a few have enjoyed them, but I'm going into it with hesitations, which probably isn't good. I'll try to read them with an open mind.

I have read the first three, and of those I liked Gathering Blue the best. To me it stood alone well, and also The Giver was SO disturbing that I wouldn't lightly give it to a 4th or 5th grader, whereas Gathering Blue could engender a lot of the same kinds of discussions without being so shocking. As an intro to futuristic fiction, I think that Gathering Blue is one of the better books I have seen. Another good one for that age or maybe early middle school that is also a good intro to futuristic fiction with lots of topics for good discussions, but not nearly as dark, is Enchantress from the Stars. I was delighted to see that as a Sonlight book, having enjoyed it a great deal as a kid.