Menu

best chocolate chip cookie recipe?

raindrops

I just use the one on the bag of Nestle'. The key is to take them out of the oven before they are completely brown..just as the edges start to turn. They usually deflate, and stay chewy and moist. I also have found that using one stick of real butter, and one stick of margerine makes for better cookies!

Alton Brown (food network show Good Eats) does an ENTIRE show on how to make cc cookies. By changing the butter ratio, types of sugar (more or less white vs brown), amount of eggs etc..... he shows you how to change the result to be chewy or crispy or cake like or........

I checked it out at the library--- perhaps you can find it online.

Oh there is also an issue with your altitude. Here in Colorado, I have to exchange some of the butter for Crisco to make them less flat and greasy. I also add more flour and cook at a lower temp for a longer time.

I actually think cookies are harder than cakes.

I use the Nestle Tollhouse recipe. However, the key to excellent cookies is excellent ingredients. Use real butter and high quality chocolate chips. Take them out just as the edges begin to brown so they will be chewy, but wait a few minutes before trying to take them off the pan so they don't fall apart.

I do nestle tollhouse. I use butter, not margarine. I bake at 350, not 375. (ovens can vary greatly for temperature, so it's always worthwhile to have an oven thermometer inside the oven.) I take out when the edges are "set", but the middle isn't done. they will deflate, but they are chewy.

This is the only recipe we will use now. It's a thick chewy cookie. I got it from a friend and the first version is how she makes it. I won't cook with margarine and so I had to adapt the recipe slightly since butter has less moisture than margarine. It's a very stiff batter and I have troubles mixing my hand so I always use my bosch mixture when I make them.

Original version:

4 1/2 c flour

1 tsp salt

2 tsp baking soda

1 stick butter

1 stick margarine

1/3 c vegetable oil

1 c sugar

1 1/2 c brown sugar

2 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

1 bag chocolate chunks (you can use chips but the chunks taste so much better).

Mix in normal order for cookies. Chill for an hour before baking at 325 about 12 minutes. These will be just barely set and still have a bit of glossy look to them. Take them out anyways and let them cool, they will be perfectly chewy when completely cooled. Store in fridge or freezer to maintain the moist texture.

My version

4 1/4 c flour

1 tsp salt

2 tsp baking soda

2 sticks butter (no substitutes)

1/2 c vegetable oil

1 c sugar

1 1/2 c brown sugar

2 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

1 bag chocolate chunks (I also make these with the mint chips available at Christmas time and my family adores them)

I don't find the need to chill the batter using all butter so I bake immediately at 325 for 12 minutes in my oven.

I like Alice Medrich's because you mix the batter and then let it rest overnight and that always gives me the illusion that I'm baking and eating cookies without the work. Totally illogical, I know. Also, she melts the butter which is nice because I never seem to have enough thawed out.

I use the Nestle Tollhouse recipe. However, the key to excellent cookies is excellent ingredients. Use real butter and high quality chocolate chips. Take them out just as the edges begin to brown so they will be chewy, but wait a few minutes before trying to take them off the pan so they don't fall apart.

Yep, like a lot of the ladies are saying, the tollhouse recipe is fantastic, but real butter and good chocolate really make the cookie. Also chill your dough, like another poster said, before baking, and don't overbake.

Yep, like a lot of the ladies are saying, the tollhouse recipe is fantastic, but real butter and good chocolate really make the cookie. Also chill your dough, like another poster said, before baking, and don't overbake.

I'm curious. What difference does chilling the dough make? I only chill sugar cookie dough that I want to roll out with with a rolling pin.

I either use the Nestle toll house recipe, but with the Costco chocolate chips...

or I use the Quaker Oatmeal Cookie recipe, omit the cinnamon, and add in chocolate chips.

In any recipe, I double the vanilla. I also make everything one bowl. I cream the butter and sugars..add in the egg...vanilla...then the baking soda/baking powder...mix well...and then the flours/oats/chocolate chips.

IMHO, the more brown sugar, the chewier they will be...so rather than doing 50/50 brown/white..increase the brown to 2/3 cup, and white sugar to 1/3 cup. (For 1 cup of sweetener total.)

Am I the only one whose first thought was "Phoebe's Grandmother's recipe?" (Friends) I think I have forever linked chocolate chip cookies to that episode. ;) I used to love the Nestle recipe before going GF; now I'm still on a hunt for the best GF recipe. But, I will echo what others have said: chill the dough before baking, especially if it's a warm day.