Menu

How do I put this on the transcript?

A couple of transcript questions:

1) Do you list summer classes separately as a summer semester, or do you just include them with the previous academic year?

2) How do you show high school classes that are repeated at the college level?

For example, ds is finishing up Algebra 2 at home, but he will take College Algebra (dual credit) over the summer. Do I list both? If so, how? Another son is in his 2nd year of high school Spanish at home, but will take dual credit Spanish 1 next year. Should I just call it College Spanish 1 to differentiate it from high school?

Thanks,

Tracie

Isn't College Algebra the first part of a Precalc course? I'm not sure that your son is repeating the material and I would have no hesitation in listing Algebra II and College Algebra on the transcript.

Has your son taken a placement test for Spanish I? With two years of Spanish under his belt, the college might want to move him into Spanish II. If not, I think saying College Spanish I is just fine.

Good luck to both of your guys.

1) Do you list summer classes separately as a summer semester, or do you just include them with the previous academic year?

I'd just list them with the previous academic year.

For example, ds is finishing up Algebra 2 at home, but he will take College Algebra (dual credit) over the summer. Do I list both? If so, how? Another son is in his 2nd year of high school Spanish at home, but will take dual credit Spanish 1 next year. Should I just call it College Spanish 1 to differentiate it from high school?

Thanks,

Tracie

I wouldn't duplicate courses on a high school transcript. Of course, when my dc took those classes at the community college, I just let those be the high school grades, as well; IOW, my dc didn't do algebra twice...just once at the c.c. That's what "dual credit" is: both high school and college credit, so students don't have to take them twice. Since your dc is going to, I'd leave the high school credits on the high school transcript and let the c.c. provide its own transcript (which it should, anyway, but I wouldn't feel compelled to include it on the high school transcript).

What we did.

DD took Spanish 1 in high school then took Spanish 1 and 2 at the CC. Our CC does not accept any high school Spanish courses so all students start at Spanish 1 (Excellen course BTW!). We listed the CC as Spanis 1511 and 1512 on her transcript. In other words we named the course what the CC did!

College Algebra is above Algebra 2. So list that separately -- combined with Trig it makes a full Pre-Calc course.

DD took Chem 1 in high school then took Chemistry for non-majors 1 at the CC-- even though it was an 'intro' college course (not for credit for science majors) it went ABOVE her high school Chemistry. I listed it as Chem 1105 on her transcript.

I'm not sure about the College Algebra. Ds#1 completed Saxon Alg 2 at home, then took a placement test at the cc and tested out of College Alg and almost out of Trig. I put him in Trig and he did well (B+ because he forgot to study for one of the tests... lesson learned). Now Ds #2 is finishing up Alg 2, but he has really struggled through it. He is going to take the placement test tomorrow, so we will see how that goes. I'm tempted to have him take College Algebra over the summer even if he scores well. I just don't think he has the Algebra foundation that he needs to do well in Trig. He will be a junior next year. He won't take the Spanish until spring, so I'll have him take a placement test for that, too. He could test out of Spanish 1, but I doubt he could test out of year two.

Thanks for your replies!

What we did.

DD took Spanish 1 in high school then took Spanish 1 and 2 at the CC. Our CC does not accept any high school Spanish courses so all students start at Spanish 1 (Excellen course BTW!). We listed the CC as Spanis 1511 and 1512 on her transcript. In other words we named the course what the CC did!

College Algebra is above Algebra 2. So list that separately -- combined with Trig it makes a full Pre-Calc course.

DD took Chem 1 in high school then took Chemistry for non-majors 1 at the CC-- even though it was an 'intro' college course (not for credit for science majors) it went ABOVE her high school Chemistry. I listed it as Chem 1105 on her transcript.

So, would you suggest College Algebra + Trig instead of Trig + Pre-Calc? This is for a student that may never take Calculus, but probably some other math elective.

College Algebra follows Algebra 2. List both.

I am not smart enough to link to the top of this thread, but here is a thread with some options for the Spanish question:

How to label DE courses on a transcript?

Either will work for most courses. If it is a college credit course completed during the summer, list it as a summer course. Homeschool courses may go in either the previous or upcoming school year, if you do not want to bother with a summer semester on the transcript.

With the Math, list all. Be sure to only use the official course title and code with the college courses. Include your math as well. With the Spanish, include both unless your son completes both college level Spanish I and II. Colleges want to see two years of Foreign Language - in the same language (such as Spanish I and II). Until he completes Spanish I and II at the college, he will fulfill the two year requirement at home. If he does complete Spanish I and II at the college, including the home-taught Spanish is optional. It wouldn't hurt to include it, unless that transcript is overly heavy.

I included summer classes with the previous academic year. My rationale was that I did not want any summer classes taken between junior and senior years to appear with twelfth grade classes that were in progress when college applications were submitted in the fall of twelfth grade. The summer classes would have a final grade but the in progress classes would not, and I thought that would muddy things for the reader. In the course descriptions, I noted summer classes as such.

I agree that Algebra 2 and College Algebra are not the same, so the issue is moot. As with previous posters, I put the college course title and number on my daughter's transcript. So, for example, the Science portion of her transcript had the following entries:

Physical Science

Chemistry (Lab)

G 101: Earth's Dynamic Interior (Lab)

G 102 Earth's Dynamic Surface (Lab)

G 146: Rocks and Minerals (Lab)

ENVS 181: Terrestrial Science (Lab)

where the first two courses were taken in 9th and 10th grades and the subsequent courses were taken in 11th and 12th grades.

Regards,

Kareni

So, would you suggest College Algebra + Trig instead of Trig + Pre-Calc? This is for a student that may never take Calculus, but probably some other math elective.

Are you in a state that does college algebra, then trig, then precalc?

Ds took the placement test and he visited with the counselor. Results showed exactly what I expected (mom's know:-) He tested into trig, but just barely. Counselor agreed that he should start with College Algebra (he'll take it over the summer b/c he hasn't finished Alg 2 for me) then Trig & Pre-Calc next year. That will leave his senior year for Calculus or a math elective.

I haven't decided about Spanish. I may let him continue to study at home, then take college Spanish in the spring. He will be taking Trig and Intro to Chem in the fall, and I'm hesitant to add a 3rd college class until he's had some experience.

Yes, I think that if he's just barely tested into trig it's wiser to be safe with college algebra, ESPECIALLY in summer session. He will probably find the material to be review and the pace to be challenging anyway.

At the CC he is very unlikely to be able to take Spanish I in the spring unless it's a very large CC, so if you're not planning on having him place out (and I would talk to the school about this possibility) I would also let this inform your decisions. I do think limiting to 2 classes is wise.

I DO think it's reasonable to be able to skip some. My oldest went from Saxon Alg. 2 straight into Trig, the Pre-Calc. His Trig prof told him he could move straight into Calculus, but he chose (well, "I" chose) to take Pre-Calc first. He says it is mostly review, but he's getting a B right now. I think is was so much review, that he kind of snoozed. He could have done Calculus. Ds #2 is weaker in math.

The other reason I am hesitant to skip any of those courses is because of the need for 4 years of math. I can put Geometry on the transcript, but that wasn't really a year of math; it was included in Saxon Alg 1 & 2. So, in actually, the sequence is...

Alg 1 (and Geom 1/2)

Alg 2 (and Geom 2/2)

Trig/Pre-Calc (isn't this equivalent to Saxon Advanced Math?)

Calculus

Most high schools around here only give .5 credit for DE Trig and .5 credit for DE Pre-Calculus, so he would need both for a full math credit.

One semester of Calculus IS a full-year credit. If, after Trig/Pre-Calc, he decides to go liberal arts (which I suspect he will do) I will let him take Statistics or another math elective his senior year. That will only be .5 credit but, by that time, he will know what the colleges & degrees he's considering require.

He has finally bought into the idea of taking a summer class. At first, it seemed like a punishment (and it was... he will not stay caught up on Alg 2 for me) After his saw his placement test, he agreed he needed it. He is also studying for the PSAT this summer and he knows it will help with that. His older brother studied hard last summer and scored well within the range to be a finalist. Both had the exact same score on 10th grade PSAT, so Ds #2 thinks he can do it, too. His language skills are very strong.

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it!