Menu

Has anyone used the University of Nebraska for high school

I have been MIA for a long time on the boards. My oldest is finally HS age and I was looking in to University of Nebraska's high school program. Has anyone used it? If so what is your opinion? I am also looking at Keystone.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Search on the web (HomeSchoolReviews.com and on Google) for reviews of Keystone. I was interested, and contacted Keystone, one year ago, but as I recall, the majority of reviews about Keystone were negative. Thoroughly investigate. Keystone is owned by K12. GL

• Like 1

Just because no one has mentioned U of Nebraska, I thought I'd mention that it was on my list of considerations for math this year just because the teacher at Math Relief (Mr. Firebaugh) said his son did well homeschooling through them. We ended up doing dual-enrollment locally in Minnesota, instead. That's about all I know, but it's something, maybe?

Julie

I have heard very good things about the University of Nebraska-Lincoln high school program, although I requested information from them weeks ago, and still haven't heard a thing from them, which is annoying.

As Lanny has already mentioned, Keystone's reviews are very mixed. Their program isn't cheap, either, so I would definitely advise you to do a lot of checking around before you go with Keystone.

Lanny, Julie, and Cat woman thanks so much for your response.

Its strange you still haven't heard anything from them after so long.

Im still mulling over everything here. Sometimes I think I want to do things myself others I feel like I want that "accreditation" and someone else over my dd's head. From what I have read though it can turn out to be a good thing or a disaster. I'm looking at other places to now. Hoping I can pick some someone's brain about them :)

Thanks,

Michelle

Twenty-five years ago (when it was via correspondance rather than online) I took Spanish I&II through UNL's high school program because I needed a foreign language and didn't have time in my class schedule to fit it in. It was expensive. Each class was something like $150, back in the early 90s!

Interestingly, I remember more of my Spanish than most of my peers who took it in-class...

But I'm from Nebraska.

I didn't realize it was available nationally! :)

Once upon a time it existed primarily for kids who wanted specific classes but went to districts that were too small to offer them. It makes perfect sense that it has expanded to a homeschool option. How cool.

Its strange you still haven't heard anything from them after so long.

I was just skimming through my Spam email box so I could empty it, and discovered a message for University of Nebraska, so although I still haven't received the printed materials I requested, at least they emailed me to see if they could answer any of my questions. It looks like they sent the email shortly after I requested the information, so I think that's a good sign.

• 3 years later...

University Nebraska Homeschool Calculus.

Initial contact information is sent to junk mail with addresses of employee names.

I am not the only one to ignore these junk emails as possible virus problems.

The online material is brief and incomplete to prepare the student for learning, and in particular, testing.

There is zero attempt to integrate the supposed required textbook material with the course.

Testing for the first of 4 sections involved concepts 'taught' in the second section, etc.

Test questions vary from simple to unnecessarily obtuse.

Whoever planned this course is more interested in confusing students with arcane difficult questions than in teaching them calculus.

Answers to homework questions are formatted without care.  The typist completing the task of illustrating step by step instructions to solving a problem did not use care in illustrating concepts in vertical columns and instead employs run on equations.  Each homework answer sheet has at least several errors which further serves to confuse the students. 

There is no attempt to format answers on one page - many times there is a 30 line step by step answer typed out, with the last an line sent to the following page.  My kid spent way too much time trying to figure out how to solve a question when the answer was on the next page, sort of hidden away.

This is a self help do it yourself calculus program with zero teacher input and hostile anonymous graders on the other end of the line. If you want your kid to struggle through at a rate of one problem every two hours, this is your program.  I can't count how many times I told my kid the simple method of solving their problems and he would be very upset at how easy the problem was and how hard this program made the problem.  When i was in school, I had two types of teachers for calculus - teachers who wanted us to learn, and teachers who employ schadenfreude.  This program is the latter.

I am writing this to place a fire under those in charge to fix this LOUSY PROGRAM.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My daughter has been taking her entire sophomore year (college-prep) via the University of Nebraska High School and we couldn't be more pleased with it. Yes, it is very much a "self-teach" and "self-start" program... but that's what she(we) like best actually. If your child is not exceptional at self-starting, time-management and learning without hand-holding... then this program may not be for you. But like I said... it's worked out fantastic for us so far. I'd be happy to answer any and all questions regarding their program with our experiences. Thanks

• Like 2

No personal experience but a fellow homeschooler had her dd take two of their classes.  She had nothing but positive things to say about the program.  They would have continued with it the following year but they made the decision to put her into public school for the remainder of high school.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hello Karma, I would like to ask you some questions about your experience with the school. Wondering if your child completed high school and how it went after 1st year. Please let me know at your convenience. 
My son is an excellent student but sick of all the drama at school and wants to get finished early. Thank you, Lori