Menu

Ugh. Why won't bobby pins stay in my hair?!

Ghee

I'm trying out a new hairstyle. We have to attend a wedding and I thought I'd do a messy bun. Weeelllll... I forgot that my hair apparently repels bobby pins. I put them in, they immediately start backing out. Even making an X with two pins, they both start to back out. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Ms. Mungo. I am not using them right. I'll try that way :p

Me, too, WendyK. I have very fine individual hairs, but a bunch of 'em. I never think of my hair as thick, because it is so fine, until I get to the salon and my stylist says "Gah. You have so MUCH hair!"

Is your hair freshly washed? I have to wash mine daily or it feels icky, but I will put dry shampoo in clean hair to get a bit more texture if I'm trying to put it up somehow.

The Goody spin pins work for me too. I really want to try bobby pins upside down/right side up now! Thanks for that tip. :)

Have you tried Spin Pins? They're little corkscrew-shaped pins that claim to do the job of 15 bobby pins (or somesuch marketing hyperbole). They really do work very well, though. I got mine at Walgreens, and I've seen them at Target, as well.

I love me some Spin Pins!! I can put my below-the-waist hair up in a bun in a few minutes with three Spin Pins. If I use hair pins or bobby pins, we're talking boatloads of metal in my hair, lol.

Is it your hair texture? I gave up on bobby pins eons ago. things were more likely to stay for me if my hair was wet when I put them in. is you hair long enough for hair sticks? a French roll comb? I loved the octopus clips - they were the only thing that would hold my hair/stay in place.

I got the bobby pins to work pretty well by turning them over, as Ms Mungo suggested. It could be the thickness of each section so I will look for hairpins this week.

I've seen spin pins. They are too large for this particular style. If it were a regular bun, maybe.