Menu

Brave Writer?

I posted some questions about BW on the K-8 board but did not receive any replies. I've taught writing classes for a number of years, using some adaptations of IEW and classical approaches. I'm wondering how BW might differ in approach from these two. Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the types of exercises or assignments that are given. How are the kids encouraged to write? What might an example assignment be? I'd like to change up my writing instruction somewhat, but before I put down $$ for more material at this point, I'd really appreciate a clearer idea of what I'd be buying (although I looked over the website, practical specifics don't seem to be given). Thanks.

Brave Writer is very interesting. It is almost more of a "philosophy" than a course.

I also used IEW for several years with my two kids were young. I stil love it for the editing, but we burned out with the technical part of it all. the. time. Even I was frozen when we sat down to write. The creativity was absolutely gone. I bought "The Writer's Jungle" because I wanted to bring the fun and creativity back into writing. I was not disappointed. I have to say that we loved it! It was like unlocking a door that resulted in words and thoughts just flowing out of my kids.

Over the past few years, we moved on to taking several of their online classes. Several of them are more geared toward younger kids and families writing and learning together (Kids Write Basic is a good one that introduces the Writer's Jungle and their family Shakespeare class is a blast). My son has taken the Kids Write Intermediate class, Expository Essay class (phenomenal!) and Literary analysis class. We have been extremely pleased with all of them.

This probably did not completely answer your question. But if you do have any more questions, the owner, Julie Bogart, is absolutely lovely and would be thrilled to talk to you. I talked to her recently using the online "chat" feature right on her website. It will tell you if she is online at that time. Otherwise, call her or send her an e-mail.

Brave Writer was just what we were looking for at the time. Personally, I believe a mix of IEW and Brave Writer has been incredible for my kids. They both write beautifully (now if my dd could only spell). :)

It's a philosophy more than a hand holding curriculum, although I think the monthly "magazines" talk more about the day to day aspect. It's on sale at 50% at HSBC. I ended up enrolling DD in one of the online courses and it's really stretching her. So I'm happy with it so far. I was having problems figuring out how to implement it and DD needed an outside voice.

Thanks, Leslie. I guess I'm still wondering just *how* the kids get writing--as in what is the method or means of getting those juices flowing? Are they given some sort of "prompt" and then they can just go where that leads them (like a free write)? How do they learn about writing different sots of sentence styles, or expanding their vocabulary? And how is the expository essay writing taught? No specific structure, just ...what? Still confused....

I did converse with Julie B some years ago but I recall still not being clear about *how* the instruction proceeds.

It's a philosophy more than a hand holding curriculum, although I think the monthly "magazines" talk more about the day to day aspect. It's on sale at 50% at HSBC. I ended up enrolling DD in one of the online courses and it's really stretching her. So I'm happy with it so far. I was having problems figuring out how to implement it and DD needed an outside voice.

Thanks for the link to HSBC, Rachel. I just may go ahead and order WJ and HfHS from there.