What's with the ads?

#1 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2565 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Hi, I am looking for reviews of this program. I am considering it for my dd who will be 5 this July. I know nothing about it except what is on the VP site so please educate me. :)

Thanks!

#2 IceFairy

IceFairy

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

We are on our third week and so far, we love it. It is truly a multi-sensory approach....DD loves the songs and vibrant flashcards. The worksheets are very age appropriate. It is heavy on teaching handwriting, using the D'Nealian method, both of which I wanted....but if you are set on another handwriting program this may not be a fit. To exclude the handwriting would eliminate a good chunk of the program. The program assumes the child knows no letter sounds....mine did, but I am using it as reinforcement.

#3 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2565 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thanks, IceFairy. D'Nealian is fine. DD has very good fine motor skills and is a worksheet girl. Sounds like she might like it. How are readers?

#4 Random

Random

None of this was in the parenting books.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1422 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

Thanks, IceFairy. D'Nealian is fine. DD has very good fine motor skills and is a worksheet girl. Sounds like she might like it. How are readers?

I'm not IceFairy, but we used the program. The readers are okay, if you remember they are supposed to be read "Round Robin" style in a classroom. For instance, each child reads a sentence or page, and then the next student reads a sentence or page.

The program was generally overkill for my son. The readers were very long and although the program is sold as being Christian, I thought there was a bit too much 'exposure' to other gods for a K'er. My son was completely bored by the theme of the program, and just wanted to learn to read, without the pageantry.

#5 krismoose

krismoose

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

My dd is using it with her 2-day a week school and we do 3 days of assignments at home. I like that there are a variety of multisensory phonics activities. The handwriting is part of the program, which is fine for my dd but would have caused serious issues for my ds when he was that age. I had to totally separate writing and reading for him. I am not fond of the readers at all and would not continue the program if dd was home 100% of the time. They are based on interesting historical stories, but the vocabulary is often contrived because they have only learned so many letter sounds for each primer. For example, "Pepin the Not-Big" was one of the first primers, based on Pepin the Short, ruler of the Franks in the 700s. My dd also reads the AAR readers we have at home and likes them better. She has learned some interesting stories, but she prefers to try to read more familiar topics.

#6 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2565 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hmmm... AAR or VP, AAR or VP? I like AAR readers, too.

#7 IceFairy

IceFairy

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

I have skimmed the readers and I like how the go with the program....I can see how the theme could get old for some kids....however, its right up my DDs alley.

#8 Meriwether

Meriwether

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2760 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with the readers. The first ones are awkward in places. They are long for one child to read. The kids love them, though. The older kids love to look at them when the next one(s) read them. My older three have used the program, K and 1st, and are very good - strong readers. I think they would have been strong readers with any phonics based program, though.

What's with the ads?