Menu

Diploma??

How do you name your school? Do you have to file something officially? Check and make sure someone else hasn't taken that name in your area?

It may be different in other states, but here we didn't have to do anything official. We just use "OurLastName Academy." It started out as a joke, because my daughter never knew what to say when people asked her what school she went to when she was little. I told her she could explain that she attended a small and very exclusive private academy.

How do you name your school? Do you have to file something officially? Check and make sure someone else hasn't taken that name in your area?

In Texas, you don't do anything. :-) Now, if you want to, you could file a "Doing Business As" (DBA) with your county, but you'd only need to do that if you wanted to do something like open a bank account in the school name or do some other kind of business. There's a small fee, and you don't have to file again for a number of years (I forget how many). But otherwise, there's nothing you need to do. It isn't a bad idea to be sure there are no other schools with the same name; it can just be randomly confusing to others, lol.

We use "Last name Family Homeschool." We didn't want to hide the fact that we homeschool by giving our school some fancy name. The signatures at the bottom are "signature of father" and "signature of mother." I just ordered our fourth diploma from homeschooldiploma.com. We have been very pleased with their products and service.