Menu

"Famous Men of.." vs. The Dorothy Mills Books

TheAutumnOak

Any thoughts on these?...I have a few of "The Famous Men of..." books, but have been looking at the Dorothy Mills books...Are the Mills books better for middle school, or can they be used for high school?...I am trying to figure out a way to include both, but having a hard time doing so...

I am trying to figure out a way to include both, but having a hard time doing so...

I can't help you with the Mill's books, as I'm not familiar with those, but I did just discover that the Famous Men books are available on Librivox. We have listened to portions of the Middle Ages one and have been happy enough with the narrator. Maybe you could listen to those and read the others?

Heather

I have used some of the Famous Men books and have read samples of the Mills books although I don't own any of them yet. The Mills books look really good. I use Truthquest for history and the author has the Mills books listed as junior high through high school level. If you're looking for a way to schedule them both, the Truthquest guides do that and give loads of other suggestions for books that also match up with the time frame.

If you do a search on here for Renaissance and Reformation Times/ Dorothy Mills another mom has put together a pretty extensive guide for using that book. Of course, that doesn't address your question of using the two together, but if you're in the Ren and Ref. era it looks like a good resource.

I agree with the previous poster, I would suggest them for any age between 11 and early high school. I created a guide for Renaissance and Reformation Times and I'm currently working on one for The Book of the Ancient Greeks. You can find the guide at my blog (A Mind in the Light) under Book Notes. (Look for the book cover and the links to download the pdf will be underneath it.)

I like the Famous Men series, but I tend to use them as a reference more than a curriculum, but this is just how it works best for me.:) I like to use them as a good biography resource if I need to further expand on a particular person.

I am possibly going to start The Book of the Ancient World soon and will follow this with The Book of the Ancient Romans and The Middle Ages.

I used Greenleaf Press's Guide to Famous Men of... and we enjoyed them. I bought the study package for each one, so that would have been Famous Men of Ancient Greece [Ancient Rome, Middle Ages, Reformation], Greenleaf Press Guide to Famous Men of..., plus several trade books, maybe a game or some charts. (Egypt and Israel don't have a Famous Men of...book).

I've used both series with my DS, who is advanced, in 4th and 5th grades. I also read the Famous Men books aloud to DD, who was in 1st/2nd. I agree with Paradox5, that the Famous Men appropriate for 4th/5th, while Mills' is more suited to middle school, but that they go well together. I do think you could use Mills' books in early high school, if you had a student who wasn't ready for something like History of the Ancient World.