Menu

National Merit question

We just received a letter (to me as principal of our homeschool!) informing me that my student (son :) ) met the requirements for the program (commended and above). At the end of the letter, it says "Details about the competition ... are described in the Guide to the National Merit Scholarship Program that was mailed to you last fall."

All we have, of course, is the Student Guide to the NMS Program that comes with the sample test that every student gets upon signing up for the PSAT. So my question for you experienced parents is, is this something worth calling NM and asking for? Or is the student guide enough (especially at this point)? Or should I ask at our local school for a copy? (I am on good terms with the guidance counselors).

Thank you so much! I have read many threads on this board about National Merit, and I feel I have a good handle on what needs to be done next fall (my son will be a semifinalist, based on past cutoffs), but I haven't seen this aspect addressed ... I'm sure it's not that important (getting this guide), but I like having my ducks in a row! :)

Also, I guess this is a way to inform the board here that letters are being mailed!

~Laura

Hi Laura,

I can't help you with an answer, but I had the same question! We also received that letter.

My son won't likely make NMF based on the ridiculously high past cut-offs in our state, but I was under the impression that all students who are commended & above would get the chance to specify a couple colleges to inform of this fact. I'm wondering if this process is described in the "guide" that I don't have, or whether it is something that we will receive in the mail under separate cover.

BTW for others -- it looks like this year's cut-off for commended is 203 & higher.

Brenda

Thanks, Brenda! I'm glad I'm not crazy :) My son thinks I am fretting too much about this, but you understand -- as the guidance counselors/principals, we do need to stay on top of these things. (He'll thank me one day ... :) )

Yes, Massachusetts is crazy!

Congratulations to you and your son.

~Laura

Is that for the PSAT taken last October, 2012?

I am not entirely clear on the procedure either and do not understand the timeline: I thought they notify commended/semifinalists in the Fall 2013, about a year after the actual test?

I found this online, but it is for last year, so I assume the dates scale by roughly a year?

http://www.nationalm...R&I_Leaflet.pdf

We just received a letter (to me as principal of our homeschool!) informing me that my student (son :) ) met the requirements for the program (commended and above). At the end of the letter, it says "Details about the competition ... are described in the Guide to the National Merit Scholarship Program that was mailed to you last fall."

All we have, of course, is the Student Guide to the NMS Program that comes with the sample test that every student gets upon signing up for the PSAT. So my question for you experienced parents is, is this something worth calling NM and asking for? Or is the student guide enough (especially at this point)? Or should I ask at our local school for a copy? (I am on good terms with the guidance counselors).

Thank you so much! I have read many threads on this board about National Merit, and I feel I have a good handle on what needs to be done next fall (my son will be a semifinalist, based on past cutoffs), but I haven't seen this aspect addressed ... I'm sure it's not that important (getting this guide), but I like having my ducks in a row! :)

Also, I guess this is a way to inform the board here that letters are being mailed!

~Laura

I found this listing of PSAT/NMSQT Downloads on the College Board Professionals site. Perhaps this one is the guide they are referencing.

ETA: On page 22 of the guide I linked to there is a picture of the cover of the National Merit Program Guide that is sent to principals in September. THAT may be what they are referencing. Since you have a potentially qualifying student, I would go ahead and call them to request the guide.

I found contact numbers for professionals if you don't already have them.

I found this listing of PSAT/NMSQT Downloadson the College Board Professionals site. Perhaps this oneis the guide they are referencing.

ETA: On page 22 of the guide I linked to there is a picture of the cover of the National Merit Program Guide that is sent to principals in September. THAT may be what they are referencing. Since you have a potentially qualifying student, I would go ahead and call them to request the guide.

I found contact numbers for professionalsif you don't already have them.

Wow, yes, that looks like exactly what they are talking about. THANK YOU! You have saved me a lot of time. :)

I would probably have found this eventually ... I did take a stab at the nationalmerit.org site this morning, but have been too busy to do more research today -- I was doing *AP* research this morning, looking at downloads at the College Board Professionals site in a different area (for AP exams -- trying to find an example of the sheet the kids bubble in at the AP pre-reg meeting, so my son has all the numbers he'll need; I found it last year, but haven't for this year's test yet). Never a dull moment as a homeschooling parent, haha!

I did call our local high school to see if they had a copy of the PSAT guide; they called right back and said they did not ... so I'm very happy to have this info. Thanks again, Sebastian!

~Laura

I was doing *AP* research this morning, looking at downloads at the College Board Professionals site in a different area (for AP exams -- trying to find an example of the sheet the kids bubble in at the AP pre-reg meeting, so my son has all the numbers he'll need; I found it last year, but haven't for this year's test yet).

:seeya:

Hi Laura!

Here's the AP preadministration instructions booklet for test coordinators with sample bubble sheet included. Hopefully that's what you're looking for? :001_smile:

Hi Laura!

Here's the AP preadministration instructions booklet for test coordinators with sample bubble sheet included. Hopefully that's what you're looking for? :001_smile:

Hi, Kathy!

YES!!! That's it! THANK YOU!!! ... I *think* it's in a different brochure from last year's ... or maybe I'm just getting confused by all the paperwork for all the stuff I'm doing right now :confused: ... WHY did I think having a high-school senior (with FAFSA, college apps, college decisions, choosing classes (already???)) AND a high-school junior (AP exams in a few weeks, getting next year's courses all lined up, including looking at FOUR potential colleges for next year's science classes, getting ready for college visits right after APs, NMS stuff, etc.) was a good idea???? :willy_nilly:

Speaking of college visits next month ... I'm planning to email you soon with questions, heehee! :001_smile:

Thanks again, Kathy!

~Laura

:iagree:

Kathy & Sebastian ROCK!!! :hurray:

... and Kathy, I'll try telling ds#2 to slow down, but I think he'd go to college tomorrow if he could ... :auto:

Well, don't forget to call and ask for a copy of the guide shown on pg 22 of the pdf. It looks like it would have lots more info.

Well, don't forget to call and ask for a copy of the guide shown on pg 22 of the pdf. It looks like it would have lots more info.

Haha, I had already added it to tomorrow's "to do" list before I saw your post :)

Their office closes at 4 pm Eastern, so it was too late to do today ...

And the AP pre-reg meetings are next week, so the sample bubble sheet was just in time! :willy_nilly:

... whereas we have several months before we need to worry about National Merit :coolgleamA:

Me to son : You might as well get started on the National Merit essay -- it will be great practice for college apps!

Son : Umm ... why don't I just wait until September?!

Me : :banghead:

Brenda (and others) -

I just called NMSC (at the number listed at the top of the letter we got) and, as I'd always heard on these boards, they were very nice and helpful. We will all get the updated guide *this* September, during that flurry of activity when commended and semifinalist students are announced, and the applications for finalist status get started. The guide that was mailed to schools last September was for *this* year's scholarship program. Since we got the letter, we are "in the system" and should get all the materials, including the updated guide, in a few months.

~ Laura

P.S. Yay! I can put NM stuff on a back burner for now (except for encouraging my son to take a stab at an essay this summer, haha) -- and worry about APs, subject tests, college visits, course descriptions, next year's courses & CC reg, etc. ... eeeek!

oh yeah, and the other guy who starts college this fall :D

I just called NMSC (at the number listed at the top of the letter we got) and, as I'd always heard on these boards, they were very nice and helpful. We will all get the updated guide *this* September, during that flurry of activity when commended and semifinalist students are announced, and the applications for finalist status get started. The guide that was mailed to schools last September was for *this* year's scholarship program. Since we got the letter, we are "in the system" and should get all the materials, including the updated guide, in a few months.

Thanks for the update, Laura.

We got our letter, too, so I'm glad we are "in the system".

What is the essay topic typically?

~ Laura

Laura,

Thanks for the update. Since my son likely won't make NMF, I'm not really concerned about the "guide". What I'm more interested in is what I found on the web called the "College Plans Reporting Service" which is supposed to be a way that your student can let 2 colleges know of their high PSAT scores. From what I read elsewhere, I think each student should be getting a letter (the one we got earlier this week was addressed to the principal) telling them how to name the 2 schools, and I think his letter should be arriving some time within the next month.

I think I will give it a few weeks and then call NMSC if it doesn't turn up. If either your ds or regentrude's dd (or anyone else) receives such a letter, please update us, and I will do the same.

I suppose I should look at the bright side and be relieved that my son has one less essay to write.....

Brenda

Thanks for the update, Laura.

We got our letter, too, so I'm glad we are "in the system".

What is the essay topic typically?

I don't know ... I have seen some prompts (via a Google search) and they were all very broad -- I'm sure some experienced board members could help us out, as to how much it varies from year to year ... :)

9/2012:

Describe an experience you have had, a person who has influenced you, or an obstacle you have overcome. Explain why this is meaningful to you. Use your own words and limit your response to the space provided.

9/2011:

"To help the reviewers get to know you, describe an experience you have had, a person who has influenced you, or an obstacle you have overcome. Explain why this is meaningful to you. Use your own words and limit your response to the space provided."

9/2008:

"In your own words, describe your personal characteristics, accomplishments, primary interests, plans, and goals. Your essay should be about 500 words."

I think I will give it a few weeks and then call NMSC if it doesn't turn up. If either your ds or regentrude's dd (or anyone else) receives such a letter, please update us, and I will do the same.

Will do!

~ Laura

I looked in my files for the NMSC essay prompts from 2005 & 2009...but I guess that I didn't save a copy when we mailed in the forms. I only have a copy of dd's essay from 2009. She addressed the 'overcoming an obstacle' prompt, and I do remember that she had a choice of topics. So the 2009 essay prompt was probably the same as the 2011/12 prompt that Laura posted. Looks like it hasn't changed in a while!

While looking through my files, I did come across a "you can now notify 2 colleges" letter dated in April and due in May. There was a code for logging onto a website where they could submit their choices.

Hi Laura,

I can't help you with an answer, but I had the same question! We also received that letter.

My son won't likely make NMF based on the ridiculously high past cut-offs in our state, but I was under the impression that all students who are commended & above would get the chance to specify a couple colleges to inform of this fact. I'm wondering if this process is described in the "guide" that I don't have, or whether it is something that we will receive in the mail under separate cover.

BTW for others -- it looks like this year's cut-off for commended is 203 & higher.

Brenda

My daughter missed it by a couple of points. Arrrgh

My daughter missed it by a couple of points. Arrrgh

Oh, how frustrating! ... My other son missed it by several dozen points -- somehow I think that's easier. We *knew* he had no chance, so the NM stuff wasn't even on our radar ...

While looking through my files, I did come across a "you can now notify 2 colleges" letter dated in April and due in May. There was a code for logging onto a website where they could submit their choices.

Kathy, thanks for doing all this research for us!

... oh, it must be soooo nice to have all your kids graduated from high school, and now you're just sitting around doing research for us on the boards, with your feet up, eating bon-bons ... HAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

~ Laura

... oh, it must be soooo nice to have all your kids graduated from high school, and now you're just sitting around doing research for us on the boards, with your feet up, eating bon-bons ... HAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

:laugh: :lol: :rofl:

No, it's more like this: "Honey, have you heard anything at all from N lately?".."No, me neither..." "Do you think he's still alive?" "yeah, I saw his green light on gmail today, but it was during work hours, so I didn't want to disturb"......

and like this: "So, dear, I need to tell you that L has been thinking of changing her double major again".."at least she'll have a major in one STEM field, right?"...."um, it that's not what she currently has in mind!"

:ohmy: :confused: :banghead:

No, it's more like this: "Honey, have you heard anything at all from N lately?".."No, me neither..." "Do you think he's still alive?" "yeah, I saw his green light on gmail today, but it was during work hours, so I didn't want to disturb"......

and like this: "So, dear, I need to tell you that L has been thinking of changing her double major again".."at least she'll have a major in one STEM field, right?"...."um, it that's not what she currently has in mind!"

LOL.

I actually can relate, as my daughter is in a college dorm right now, even though she's in high school. She broke her phone so I haven't heard her voice for awhile! This is why I don't know if she's been notified yet.

LOL! Too funny. And I see we must catch up ... changing again? Interesting! Well, now is the time to do it, right? :)

Laura, would you mind tagging your original post with something like "National Merit" so that we can easily find this information in a year or two? :)

Thanks!!

Jetta

Hi, Jetta - Sure! I just did it. BTW it was my first time tagging anything, hehe -- exciting!

~ Laura